Author Topic: What to do with dough scraps  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Bubba Kuhn

• A dough to dough salesman since 1967!
What to do with dough scraps
« on: December 12, 2005, 12:01:03 AM »
Wonder what to do with those little bits of dough that may be left after cutting and rolling your dough. You know you worked so hard to make it you just hate to waste any little bit. These are make from 4 ounce scrapes. I find that most versions of New York Style Pizza dough will make a very reasonable New York Style bagel. Better then you can find in most of the country.

Bring a 4 quart pot of water to a slow soft simmer. Then add a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to the simmering water.
Make a 4 ounce dough ball and poke your finger through it to make the hole in the doughnut so to speak. Give ti a little pull from the center to enlarge the whole a bit and drop into the simmering water. The dough will sink to the bottom then as it cooks it will float to the top. Push on one side of the bagel to roll it over in the water. cook for about two to three minuets. Lift with a slotted spoon to drain the water as you remove it from the pot. set on a paper towel and quickly dab it dry. On a lightly oil tray place the bagel and brush heavily with an egg wash of 1/2 egg white and 1/2 water and top your favorite like sesame seed, poppy seed, chopped garlic, chopped onion or even course salt.  Pre heat oven to 375 degrees and cook untill done.   ENJOY! Bubba

PS: Caution do not try to cook these on your pizza brick as they are a "wet dough" product and may cause your brick to crack.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 12:03:54 AM by bubba »
Share a piece with a friend!

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
Re: What to do with dough scraps
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 03:21:22 AM »
fry em up!

Offline Bubba Kuhn

• A dough to dough salesman since 1967!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 07:00:12 AM »
OOOOOOh yum!
Share a piece with a friend!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 10:03:01 AM »
bubba,

That's a great idea. I didn't think of it, but the recipes for pizza dough and bagels are quite similar, and for those who have the KASL or other high-gluten flour, that should be perfect. When I have made bagels, I put about a tablespoon or two of barley malt syrup (nondiastatic) in the water during boiling to produce a shiny surface on the bagels. Some recipes also call for putting some barley malt syrup in the dough itself.

You are correct that it is hard to get real bagels anywhere anymore, even in NYC. Once someone discovered that you could make sandwiches out of them, bagel makers started making them soft, big and puffy. You almost have to go into ethnic neighborhoods to find the authentic bagels.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 10:04:58 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline bicster

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 11:14:47 AM »
I use malt syrup in the dough and in the kettle water.  Really makes a difference.

Offline RockyMarciano

• Go Sabres! Go Bills!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 04:26:51 PM »
you could either put a little olive oil on them, some romano cheese, some garlic and herbs spices and make bread sticks, or you could make "scoops" by frying them in a pan of olive oil and then topping with regular sugar.

pizzapan