Author Topic: Cutting into dough balls after kneading  (Read 1675 times)

Offline bluesboy21

Cutting into dough balls after kneading
« on: December 09, 2012, 06:32:16 AM »
Hello,
 I would like to know if it is ok to cut the dough into small balls immediately after hand kneading it or do i have to let it rise first before cutting it. Also, is the elasticity of the dough affected by how long you ferment it?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: Cutting into dough balls after kneading
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »
There is no problem in cutting the dough into balls immediately after kneading/mixing. This is how it is commercially done. Yes, the elasticity is affected by the length of time the dough is fermented. The longer the dough is allowed to ferment, to a degree, the softer and more extensible it becomes, then at a certain point, the dough becomes what is referred to as "bucky" or tight, lacking extensibility.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 01:16:34 AM »
hi bluesboy21,

I never spend the time making several dough balls before the cold rise in the fridge. Why waste the time and extra freezer bags to cold rise in ??? I coat my dough ball with Extra virgin Olive oil and then let it cold rise. After 24 hours or more, I cut the large dough ball into three sections for smaller dough balls. Most Pizzerias' that roll them into dough balls, do so because they have to keep the assembly line of pizza making, on going for waiting customers. This makes it quicker and easier for them to keep going. As for home, IMO, no need to make the dough balls first.

TomN
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:22:46 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:17:12 AM »
I often put the remaining dough back in the fridge, in the freezer bag, for a later time. This works very well for me.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:19:09 AM by TomN »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 09:52:47 AM »
It all depends upon the size of dough that you are making. In a commercial setting we are making upwards of 80-pounds of dough at a time. It is all but impossible to uniformly cool this dough as a single piece, but when subdivided into individual dough balls, it can be uniformly cooled without much problem, what this means is that all of the dough balls will be the same with regard to dough performance and finished crust quality. In a home setting, some refrigerators can cool a 3 to 4-pound dough ball without much problem, while others will struggle, so in this case dividing the dough into individual balls prior to placing it into the refrigerator will result in more consistent cooling of the dough. What this means to you is that when you make the dough again and manage it in the same manner, it will perform very similarly to the way it did previously. It is done in the name of consistency. I have also found that when I make my dough balls right after mixing and place them into individual plastic bread bags, I can turn the dough ball out of the bag into a bowl of dusting flour and open it into a pizza skin more easily than I can an irregularly shaped piece of dough. Yes, I could form those irregularly shaped dough pieces into balls and set them aside to rise again, but that takes additional time which I don't always have.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »
bluesboy21,

I like what Tom Lehmann had to say. However, i am not in a commercial setting and I do not have a large walk in cooler for my dough. Fortunately, I do not have to serve 80 to 100 customers that are waiting to eat throughout the day. Therefore, I find it easier to make just one dough ball which can be divided to make three 14" thin crust pizzas'.

I like the fact that I can give extra attention to my dough making and pizza creations at home. In a commercial setting, it is a whole different ball game.

Best to you

TomN

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 01:18:40 AM »
Perhaps one day, I will get as good as my Pizzeria Friends. The have really got the process down. (These dough balls are fresh dough. They are getting ready for cold rise)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 01:45:39 AM »
Tried it but not again

Made dough tonight. I cut and shaped the large dough ball into three smaller dough balls before I put them into bags for the cold rise. While this might make it easier to press out the dough for pizza, it was a big hassle for that small convenience. It took up more space in my fridge and I had to use three freezer bags instead of one. I am always willing to try something new in cooking. However, i will NOT do it this way again for home pizza making.

I am looking forward to great pizza though. I used a special IPA that comes out only three times a year.

TomN
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 01:49:36 AM by TomN »

pizzapan