Author Topic: Dough that has gone sour.  (Read 1243 times)

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
Dough that has gone sour.
« on: December 12, 2005, 09:06:54 AM »
I did a search, but there are too many results to pour through. I quit after 7.
I made a batch in my bread machine, used a bit for one pizza, and then accidentally forgot it in the unplugged machine. The next day, about 12-13 hours later, I remembered. It had risen again, and when I pulled it out, it emited a sour odor. Is this just a literal "sour dough", or should I discard it. I don't mind the taste of sour dough, BTW.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Dough that has gone sour.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 09:36:51 AM »
I think you can use the dough. It sounds like all the byproducts of fermentation (alcohol, etc.) were trapped within the baking pan and the odors escaped and hit you in the face once you opened the lid. If the baking pan had a lot of remnant heat from its normal operation, that would cause the dough to ferment even faster than usual, but even then I think you should be OK. If the dough seriously overfermented, you might be able to tell when you try to shape and stretch the dough. It will be so extensible that it will be hard to stretch without tearing. It also won't bake up right and may lack crust color.

Peter

Offline chiguy

Re: Dough that has gone sour.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 11:42:20 AM »
 Hi Lilbuddypizza,
  I assume if  you are using dough the same day that you are not taking a finished dough temperature. This reason, along with using a bread machine that may heat the dough even more during mixing. I would tend to believe the dough is overfermented and although useable, it will not be the same pizza. I have mentioned before that an 18F rise in dough temperature will double yeast activity. This could mean you're dough is more like 24-26hours on the bench. The longer bench times of dough are usually for people who  control finished dough temperature by adding ice or addition of yeast impairing ingrediants like more salt or sugar. The sour smell of the dough is always a dead give away that the dough is over fermented. The smell occurs when all the sugars have been eaten away by the yeast. It never makes a good tasting pizza in my opinion.    Well goodluck with the pizza anyway.       Chiguy

pizzapan