Author Topic: Need expert help  (Read 8992 times)

Offline scott123

Re: Need expert help
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 05:23:53 PM »
Find ceramic tiles (any will do) and build a ceiling on the shelf directly above the area where the convection fan is.  The goal is to build a ceiling that completely (relatively air tight) isolates the bottom of the oven from the top where the thermostat resides- use foil to fill any gaps left by the tiles.  By blocking the thermostat, you can drive up the temp in the bottom area quite a bit further than 500F. Make sure you use this with the IR thermometer you're getting, and don't leave it unattended. Try placing your bottom stone on different shelves to see which gives you the fastest browning using the convection feature.

Also, check the ingredients of your flour for either 'malted barley' or 'enzymes.' If it contains neither, you need to drop your IDY (perhaps to .4%) and extend your fermentation longer- 2 to 3 days.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:29:47 PM by scott123 »

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 04:00:00 AM »
Cheers for that Scott123,Can I take it then that the fan oven would be the better option?? I have a pan/tray that came with the oven that fits tightly to the sides and back so I'll try that upside down maybe (to create a mini dome effect) Roll on Friday night  :chef:
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline scott123

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 04:45:06 AM »
Absolutely, you want the fan running for the entire bake.

Tiles are a bit better because it takes time for the heat to flow through them.  The heat might flow through the pan to the top of the oven a bit too quickly. You can try it.  Make sure, like I said, that it's air tight. A photo of the setup wouldn't hurt- just to make sure the ceiling is above the fan, but below the thermostat (usually a metal rod in a clip).

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 10:37:45 AM »
IR thermometer arrived and the stone with dome effect tray = 540f
A quickly made dough gave some light browning on the base, mostly where bubbles had formed.
Any ideas???
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »
IR thermometer arrived and the stone with dome effect tray = 540f
A quickly made dough gave some light browning on the base, mostly where bubbles had formed.
Any ideas???

Did you happen to take pics of the top? Just wondering if the top and bottom are cooking =.
How long was the bake? Is this your normal bake time?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 03:47:46 PM »
I did mark, had no toppings or cheese in the larder so it was tomato paste salt n pepper  :-[ and please bear in mind it was a dough made quickly just to try out the set up  ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:01:34 PM by Pizzaboyo »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 05:23:15 PM »
To my eyes, old as they are, it appears that the bottom crust browning is a bit more pronounced than the top crust. If you increased your cook time your bottom would be darker. Redirecting heat to the top of the oven could = out the top browning, spraying the edge of the crust with oil prior to cooking should also darken the top. Is the crust texture to your liking? ie crisp, soft etc.

From your original post it looks like things are improving, what do you think?

Mark

Offline scott123

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 06:32:12 PM »
PB, do you have a larger photo of the oven setup? I can't really see what's going on.  The fan is visible on the back wall of the oven, right?

Thick stones, with their extra thermal mass, will perform better than thinner stones, but the downside is that they take considerably longer to heat up.  If you're not open to the idea of 90+ minute pre-heat (and the energy bill they might entail), then I think you're ready for steel. 540F with 1/2" steel is perfect for NY style pizza and will give you all the undercrust char you could ever want. The only downside to steel is that it's heavy/hard to get in and out of the oven.

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 03:45:06 AM »
Cheers guys,I'm happy with the progress so far and confident of a good result on friday night I'll try out the longer pre heat too.  :chef: here's the pic of the oven scott (I'm only getting the hang of posting pics)

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 04:16:21 PM »
I did it, I finally got char  :chef: Made a low hydration dough and placed the stone in the grill pan that fits tight from front and sides. Turned grill on high for 1 hour (with door open to keep grill on) and the stone temp reached 630. Placed pizza on stone and shut the door and in 5 minutes this is the result.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 04:32:07 PM »
Congrats PB...what are you using for sauce on that pie?
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2013, 06:32:45 PM »
A tin of tomato paste,honey,paprika,cayenne,dried basil salt 'n pep. No measurements just add to taste. (I like the burnt/charred sauce round the rim) :-\ any tips there bob??
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:35:08 PM by Pizzaboyo »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 06:40:32 PM »
PB, nice color, nice spring, overall nice pie. You certainly are are the right track to your goal.
Congrats!

Mark

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 06:58:55 PM »
A tin of tomato paste,honey,paprika,cayenne,dried basil salt 'n pep. No measurements just add to taste. (I like the burnt/charred sauce round the rim) :-\ any tips there bob??
Well...if you add water to the paste you will have tomato puree and that will give you a whole different flavor profile that you may like and you can still apply the raw paste on your rim/cornicione. Try it, I think you'll like it.

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 04:55:10 AM »
Sorry CB, puree/paste,tomato/tomata  :P this is what I used http://www.superquinn.ie/shopping/shopping/shop.aspx?prodid=90076003. I find I get a richer stronger tomato flavor.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:22:21 AM by Pizzaboyo »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 01:03:18 PM »
Sorry CB, puree/paste,tomato/tomata  :P this is what I used http://www.superquinn.ie/shopping/shopping/shop.aspx?prodid=90076003. I find I get a richer stronger tomato flavor.
PB, your link requires membership but I assume it was to show some type of "puree" product.
Whew!....ya had me a 'lil concerned there cause I thought you were spreading raw paste on your pizza   :-D

It sure looked like it though on the set-up test skin that you did.... ;D

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 01:58:32 PM »
You laughing at my test CB??? ::) I don't even know the difference between paste and puree  :-[
It's this stuff
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:02:22 PM by Pizzaboyo »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 04:24:51 PM »
Oh no...not laughing! I admire your determination.  ;D
Tomato puree is made from tomato paste and water combined. Packed/canned puree is often diluted even further with additional water added because it can be quite thick depending on the brand. And in your case it appears that you have a very thick brand of puree.
PB, do they have any "ground" or "crushed" whole tomato products there in Ireland? Have you checked out the forum glossary yet?  The second entry on the list is "6 IN 1 TOMATOES:"...take a look and then click on the link in that definition(link to  Escalon Premier Brands products)
Bob

http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 04:26:47 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2013, 05:17:42 PM »
Thanks for not laughing at me Bob, sure I'm only a young lad trying me best  :angel:
These are the (Irish) options. The double concentrate is in small 280g packets so sometimes I add it to a tin of whole or chopped tomatoes.The zia rosa d.o.p. come whole or chopped and taste great but I personally find them too watery for my taste (although I have drained them and reduced the liquor to make a thick sauce to use) basically here its "roma" products then cirio and in one store the zia rosa after that its all store brands which aint worth talking about.I noticed 6 in 1 rank highly here but it's not to be found around here.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:26:05 PM by Pizzaboyo »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 05:31:46 PM »
PB,
The passata looks like it would be perfect for the type of pizza you made above. Can you get the La Rustica style of passata? Either one will probably be great.
 How much is a tin of the D.O.P.'s over there....what size can.