Author Topic: Need expert help  (Read 9002 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Need expert help
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2013, 01:07:11 PM »
BUT I'm in over my head since page one  :-\

I've heard snorkels help!

The Organic bread flour looks like it would be my choice from what you have shown.
How about potato flour? ;D

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2013, 01:35:17 PM »
I've heard snorkels help!

The Organic bread flour looks like it would be my choice from what you have shown.
How about potato flour? ;D

Mark
Not another joker laughing at me  :o
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2013, 01:40:32 PM »
PB,
Please understand, we all only laugh with each other here... ;)
Here's a 'lil place you might like to check out while wearing your new snorkel gear!  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2013, 01:55:24 PM »
I'm still trying to get the hang of McDonald's driver through  ::)
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2013, 02:01:51 PM »
You're gonna get yourself arrested dude...stay away from there an jus....I don't know..hang here and make some pizza's man!  :chef:

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2013, 02:06:10 PM »
You're gonna get yourself arrested dude...stay away from there an jus....I don't know..hang here and make some pizza's man!  :chef:
Sounds like a plan buddy, jut don't get tooooooooooo technical  ::)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2013, 02:12:27 PM »
Not a problem(check my monikers ;))
Just don't let Peter catch ya talk'in like that young man!  :-D

Offline scott123

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2013, 10:25:40 PM »
I think I can get this which has 12.5g of protein http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/flour-and-ingredients/organic-flour/organic-strong-white-bread-flour-x-15kg/

I'd like to see you avoiding spending the extra money on organic flour, but, as far as specs go, that's the winner. You may want to push the fermentation times a bit longer (3, maybe 4 days) because it contains no malted barley or any other kind of enzyme supplementation, but, other than that, it should perform considerably better than the Odlums.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:10:21 PM by scott123 »

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »
Cheers Scott, you get what you pay for eh! I'll get the organic and give it a spin.

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2013, 12:56:50 PM »
PB,
The passata looks like it would be perfect for the type of pizza you made above. Can you get the La Rustica style of passata? Either one will probably be great.
 How much is a tin of the D.O.P.'s over there....what size can.
1.79 for a 400g can CB. Gonna give the passata a run tonight, any suggestions how to prepare it??

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2013, 01:40:47 PM »
1.79 for a 400g can CB. Gonna give the passata a run tonight, any suggestions how to prepare it??
Yes I have....would you like the quick an dirty method or do you want to measure it and be able to repeat it? Strike that- quick way for now to see if you even like it or needs adjusting.
Many of us here are minimalists when it comes to sauce but if you do a search you can also find a few people that work with some elaborate spice concoctions. For the type of pizza you are making here is what I use....salt, pepper,dried oregano. That's it. Once your skin is stretched out and you've applied your sauce add theses 3 spices by pinching through your fingers as you dust all around the surface of the sauce. Amount? I always tell folks that it's akin to topping a baked potato...pinch/shake the spices on like that and we'll see how it tastes.
One thing though, with not knowing your passata product you are using I would suggest you taste it first (straight out of the can) and check for it's sweetness level.Might need a big pinch or 2 of sugar to bring it up to your liking. If you're using the Cirio brand, they're from Italy and just might be nice and sweet straight away. I'm interested in how they turn out for you...good luck an have fun PB.
Bob

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2013, 01:45:43 PM »
Right so, the scene is set, stone in grill on, new dough made, new sauce to try, camera ready, guinness poured and Coco Montoya playing loudly. I feel a good night coming on  :chef:

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2013, 02:00:40 PM »
guinness poured

Sounds like you're ready to me!   ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2013, 02:08:42 PM »
Break a leg PB!!  :chef:

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2013, 06:56:56 AM »
I think I've done it  :chef: dough recipe used is the one posted in reply 51 with one modification 100g strong white flour +67g semolina (no idea why), sauce was excellent (passata, cheers CB) 6min was the cook time but probably would of been ok at 5. The dough was light soft and all round beautiful on the inside and crispy on the out. Tonight's is all organic flour with 12.5g protein so we'll see how it goes. Stone was 4'' from the grill so maybe it could be lowered a bit? The overspill and crease is due to the pizza deciding to cling to the peel just as it was being slipped onto the stone  ::) The toppings dont look great in the pic but tasted great, buffalo mozz homemade sausage and garlic and herb cream cheese.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:08:08 AM by Pizzaboyo »

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2013, 06:58:15 AM »
More
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:04:11 AM by Pizzaboyo »

Offline scott123

« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2013, 09:34:05 AM »
PB, congratulations, that's a huge improvement.  The crumb looks fantastic.

What's going on with the thickness factor? Did you use the last formula you posted and stretch it 12"? Thickness factor tends to be a pretty subjective area, but I think you might be pleased if you used less dough and stretched it a bit thinner.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2013, 10:09:39 AM »
Pizzaboyo,

Out of curiostiy, what prompted you to use semolina flour and what prompted you to use 67 grams of it?

Also, were there any leftover slices and, if so, how were they upon reheating?

Peter

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2013, 11:20:07 AM »
PB, congratulations, that's a huge improvement.  The crumb looks fantastic.

What's going on with the thickness factor? Did you use the last formula you posted and stretch it 12"? Thickness factor tends to be a pretty subjective area, but I think you might be pleased if you used less dough and stretched it a bit thinner.
Thanks Scott, couldn't of done it without ya  :D the formula was for a thickness factor of .085 and a 12'' pizza. Problem is I've no idea how thick .085 is  ::) looking at it now the peel is 14'' wide so I reckon the skin was only 10'' approx also I couldn't stretch to save my life, always end up with an uneven or hole filled skin.

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2013, 11:27:36 AM »

Pizzaboyo,

Out of curiostiy, what prompted you to use semolina flour and what prompted you to use 67 grams of it?

Also, were there any leftover slices and, if so, how were they upon reheating?

Peter
Remember now Pete I'm a NOVICE  ;D I read somewhere that it can add to the crispness and I like crispness so I said why not?? :-[ was it really out of curiosity or did you think "what to hell's the Irishman at?"
Here's the leftovers