Author Topic: Need expert help  (Read 9035 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Need expert help
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2013, 11:30:15 AM »

Here's the leftovers
Wow! You really did like the sauce,eh?  :o

ps, 40% semolina probably caused the tearing. 10-15% is the typical amount I've seen when experimenting with semolina.
Your oven has nice heating element setup.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:33:58 AM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline scott123

« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2013, 12:19:38 PM »
did you think "what to hell's the Irishman at?"

PB, are you psychic?   ;D

Seriously, though, semolina is, imo, kind of advanced pizzamaking.  It's definitely something worth playing around with, but I'd wait until you've mastered a non semolina pie.

.085 is the thickness of the crust.  Imagine taking a ruler, placing it next to a cross section, and taking the measurement.  That's a simplification of what .085 represents.  The lower the number the thinner the crust, the higher the number the thicker the crust.

The thickness factor dictates how much dough you'll need to use for a crust of a given diameter.  As long as you follow the formula and stretch the pizza to the given size, the thickness factor will be whatever you plugged into the calculator.  The semolina probably threw a wrench into the thickness equation, but, next time, see if you can follow the formula and stretch it to 12".

It's also very helpful to stretch the dough the right way. Here's a good video (ignore the rolling pin stuff)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjYqw1CLZsA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjYqw1CLZsA</a>

One of the most important stretches is the edge stretch. Take a look at 1:30 to 1:50. The edge stretch is critical so that you don't end up with a bowl shaped skin.

Here's what it looks like if you've been doing it for most of your life:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li7BEwJeocY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li7BEwJeocY</a>
(edge stretch from 00:21 to 00:27)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2013, 12:41:06 PM »

Here is one more stretching vid....I think 3 min. mark is especially helpful.   
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbkfDqA8yKg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbkfDqA8yKg</a>

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »
Cheers guys, I saw the Tony Gemignani one before and that's the method I try (literally TRY) one thing I do notice is their dough ball seems a lot stiffer/drier (those are the novice terms) than mine. I proof mine in a plastic bowl rubbed with olive oil, would that have anything to do with it? CB the sauce was fab, I've some left so I've added a few dashes of hot garlic sauce for tonight. P.S I knew the definition of "thickness" was Scott (I'm not that thick  ;D),I just had no clue how thick .085 would be when stretching the dough BUT now I see that if it's stretched to 12'' it should be .085 thick.Also I knew mentioning a rolling pin here was the wrong thing so I apologise  :-[
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:43:24 PM by Pizzaboyo »
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline scott123

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »
PB, is the organic flour dough as wet?  That should, at your present hydration, give you something more workable.  Is you dough doubling by the time you stretch it?

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »
Scott, I wont be near the organic until later but the doughs do double but to my untrained eye it seems to rise better at room temp. Would the knead time be a factor?? I've a dough hook on a kenwood mixer and the dough gets approx 10 min at speed 2
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2013, 09:32:52 PM »
My beagles love those left overs. WOOF!!!!!

"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2013, 06:30:02 AM »
My beagles love those left overs. WOOF!!!!!
My basset never refuses a crust either  ;D
Well the organic flour has been a revelation, better dough for handling (similar to the video doughs) it stretched easier too.Thanks to the videos I also found that when I formed the rim before I was not stretching it enough while stretching the rest of the dough which was causing the "bowl" effect, if that makes sense  :-[ all's left with my dough now is kneading times and then my next project is to make my own mozzarella as any I can get here are very watery and seem poor quality. :chef:

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2013, 10:48:23 AM »
Sounds good PB.You might like to try a whole milk aged(partially dried) mozz like traditionally used on NY type pizza's.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2013, 01:30:46 PM »
PB,
I just saw your post from last May about homemade mozz...funny, I was going to post that same link for you in my last message just above. http://www.cheesemaking.com/howtomakemozzarellacheese.html
The lady says they have had good results using powdered milk and cream. I'm wondering if you have tried that and how it turns out, thanks!
Bob

here's another site I've been looking at  http://curd-nerd.com/soft-cheese-recipes/mozzarella/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:42:14 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
Cheers CB, I've made the one in your first link and it turned out well and its the one I was going back to, just wondering how to add spices etc if I fancied a change. I'll have a look at your second link too and see about making that one.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2013, 06:27:28 PM »
Cheers CB, I've made the one in your first link and it turned out well and its the one I was going back to, just wondering how to add spices etc if I fancied a change. I'll have a look at your second link too and see about making that one.
Great, the second link teaches about adding cultures for different flavors. ;)

Offline scott123

« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2013, 03:54:28 AM »
Scott, I wont be near the organic until later but the doughs do double but to my untrained eye it seems to rise better at room temp. Would the knead time be a factor?? I've a dough hook on a kenwood mixer and the dough gets approx 10 min at speed 2

Yeast activity creates volume/rise.  Yeast are more active/create doughs that rise faster in warmer temps, and they slow down/rise slower in cooler temps.  This is why refrigeration, in the baking world, is called retardation- you're slowing down yeast activity by lowering the temp.

Every mixer kneads dough a little differently.  It's more important to go by the appearance of the dough then by mixing time.  For NY style, the style you appear to be making, for dough that's going to be refrigerated, you want the dough somewhere between a nobbly cottage cheese appearance and perfectly smooth. One of the nice things about using your organic flour is that 12.5% protein is pretty forgiving of overkneading.

Offline scott123

« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2013, 03:58:04 AM »
all's left with my dough now is kneading times and then my next project is to make my own mozzarella as any I can get here are very watery and seem poor quality. :chef:

The ideal cheese for NY style is the photo that Bob posted- aged brick mozzarella.   As far as I know, it's nearly impossible to make this cheese at home.  The home 'fresh' mozzarella you will make (aka fior di latte) most likely won't any less watery than the stuff you buy.  If you can find aged brick mozz, do. If you have to work with fresh, grate it and put it between paper towels before using.

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2013, 12:15:32 PM »
Heya PB, while I was living on that side of the ocean, I found this cheesemaking supplier: http://www.cheesemaking.co.uk/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?product=Cheese%20Making%20Kits&cart_id=52359_9269.

They are English, if that sort of thing matters to you, but the shipping may come out a bit less for you.

CB: that curd-nerd site is a new one for me.  Great find!

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2013, 03:51:42 PM »

They are English, if that sort of thing matters to you,
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o What??? I've no problem with English folk, in fact I do most of my shopping in the UK online and have some very good friends there. Thanks for the link SF I'll have a look round it later when I get over the shock  :-\

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2013, 04:26:15 PM »
Thanks for the link SF I'll have a look round it later when I get over the shock  :-\

I suppose I should have put one of those little smileys on that   ::)

Ah, well.  As an American, it is my Divine Right to be obnoxious that way   >:D :-D

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2013, 04:33:08 PM »

it is my Divine Right to be obnoxious that way   >:D :-D
...been try'in to tell people that but they jus don't seem to get it!  >:(

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2013, 05:26:25 PM »
I suppose I should have put one of those little smileys on that   ::)

Ah, well.  As an American, it is my Divine Right to be obnoxious that way   >:D :-D
It's all good SF  ;D

Offline jkb

« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2013, 10:07:53 PM »
The ideal cheese for NY style is the photo that Bob posted- aged brick mozzarella.   As far as I know, it's nearly impossible to make this cheese at home.  The home 'fresh' mozzarella you will make (aka fior di latte) most likely won't any less watery than the stuff you buy.

Not true.  I make a cultured mozz that I can make as dry as I want.  Grande is about the only cheese that comes close to mine.  I use a non-homogenized milk that's mostly from Jersey's so it's got a high butterfat content.

pizzapan