Author Topic: Please help me figure out what kind of cheese this is.  (Read 792 times)

Offline Craiggy83

Please help me figure out what kind of cheese this is.
« on: December 11, 2012, 02:25:36 AM »
Hey Guys,

It's been a while since I've been on here.  I need your help trying to determine what kind of cheese is used on these two pies.  Last year I was in Boston and visited Galleria Umberto with a friend.  This was my first time trying more of a Sicilian style pie, but it was delicious.  I want to attempt to make my own Sicilian, but I'm dieing to figure out what kind of cheese/s they are using.  The square pizza below is from Galleria, the other full pie is from Sally's (Jeff Varasano's site).  I've never been, but the pizza looks awesome.  Recently I tried cooking some pies with 50/50 mozz chedder blend, thinking that it may brown up the same, but it did not.  I cooked three different pies at temperatures ranging from 650F - 750F with no change.  Scott suggested on the forums here that Galleria was most likely using a chedder/mozz/prov mix, but maybe mostly chedder.  Could you guys please share your knowledge of what cheese you think this could be, and also what cheeses burn at lower temps, and which cheeses burn at higher temps.  Galleria cooks their pies in I'm assuming aluminum baking sheets.  I'm not sure what temp they cook at, but I would think it would be in the 550-700 range (I could be wrong).  I have no clue about how Sally's cooks their pies, but I would assume they go in without any screen or pan, and cook at a higher temp.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank You,

~Craig

Offline Craiggy83

Re: Please help me figure out what kind of cheese this is.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 08:57:56 AM »
Anybody have ideas?  If not I may be tempted to started testing different cheeses to see how they melt. 

Thanks,

~Craig

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 03:03:03 PM »
Pretty sure the New Haven Pizzerias use low moisture whole milk mozz applied in slices.  That is how the place near me that trained out there makes theirs. 
-Jeff

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 03:08:47 PM »
low moisture part skim can brown/crisp up like that at even lower temps. First pic or two looks like a blend, white chedder be my guess. Good look'in pizza...

edit: here is a lm/ps blend baked at only 450 degrees...
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20697.msg206261.html#msg206261
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:47:23 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"