Author Topic: Changing Up PJ Clone?  (Read 632 times)

Offline JasonT

Changing Up PJ Clone?
« on: December 11, 2012, 09:29:20 AM »
I've been really happy with how Pete's PJ clone recipe has been turning out for me, but I'd like to change things up. As good as it is, If I eat this every week, I will naturally get tired of it.

Can anyone suggest a dough recipe similar to the PJ clone they tried and liked? Or has anyone made changes to the PJ clone that gave it a different flavor?

Thx for any help

Jason

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Changing Up PJ Clone?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 09:56:49 AM »
I haven't made the PJ clone but...

I began adding 5-15% whole wheat or spelt flour to my crust when I want different flavor and or texture. Also, if your happy overall w the pizza have you thought of any really different toppings? Maybe a different style all together?

Offline JasonT

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 09:59:48 AM »
I haven't made the PJ clone but...

I began adding 5-15% whole wheat or spelt flour to my crust when I want different flavor and or texture. Also, if your happy overall w the pizza have you thought of any really different toppings? Maybe a different style all together?

Hey Jeff,

I've been using ricotta and plan to use tomatoes this week. Also have used peppers, onions, etc.

I love the crust, just don't want to ruin it by having it every single week.

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 10:11:20 AM »
Hey Jeff,

I've been using ricotta and plan to use tomatoes this week. Also have used peppers, onions, etc.

I love the crust, just don't want to ruin it by having it every single week.

That's cool. Messing around w the whole wheat and spelt helped for me. It also helped me to be able to make a couple of different styles of pizza. There are really good threads here for Greek pizza, cracker, deep dish, Detroit style etc.

ETA: Here is the link for Pete-zza's  Greek pizza that I use. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg27482.html#msg27482

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:15:52 AM by jeff v »

Offline JasonT

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 10:16:55 AM »
That's cool. Messing around w the whole wheat and spelt helped for me. It also helped me to be able to make a couple of different styles of pizza. There are really good threads here for Greek pizza, cracker, deep dish, Detroit style etc.

Have you messed around with different flour brands and noticed a difference in taste? Ie using Robin Hood instead of King Arthur, etc.

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 10:37:10 AM »
Have you messed around with different flour brands and noticed a difference in taste? Ie using Robin Hood instead of King Arthur, etc.

Not really. I've pretty much been using KABF and Central Milling products for the past few years. I'm sure others here have.

Another option to get more flavor would be to extend your fermentation times. You could try room temp and refrigerated.

Offline JasonT

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 11:16:08 AM »
Not really. I've pretty much been using KABF and Central Milling products for the past few years. I'm sure others here have.

Another option to get more flavor would be to extend your fermentation times. You could try room temp and refrigerated.

One thing I have done in the past that I keep forgetting to do, is brush the crust with garlic butter. It changes up the taste dramatically.

pizzapan