Author Topic: cold rise acidic control  (Read 782 times)

Offline air540g

cold rise acidic control
« on: December 11, 2012, 12:51:44 PM »
cold rise.

the longer time ferment, the dough is more acidic.

if use bread flour 1000g, water 550g  , IDY 3g, salt 17g, sugar 24g

how to do a acidic control? use baking powder? or others?

how many " acidic controller"  do  i need to add in flour?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 12:57:22 PM by air540g »

Online PizzaJerk

Re: cold rise acidic control
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 01:01:35 PM »
Baking powder is not the answer, it will only give your dough an undesired flavor (in my opinion).

You have to control the activity of the yeast as the lactic acid production is a product of the fermentation process. The longer the fermentation the more lactic acid will be present. This being more/less depending on the amount of yeast being used in conjunction with salt (which controls yeast action) sugar (which feeds yeast action) water temp and fermentation time and temp.
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:35:37 AM »
What's your target for length of cold fermentation? I've been using Glutenboy's dough on and off for a while, and have no trouble with a 7 day period. Others have gone well past that. Here's the original thread (I think): http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7761.0.html

One thing you'll notice is that there's no sugar.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 11:59:42 AM »
What is your finished dough temperature? Too high of a finished dough temperature can result in excessive acid formation in the dough. Typically, we see temperatures of 65 to 70F used where long cold ferment periods are employed. That said, if you still want to reduce the acidity of the dough you might include a buffer in the dough as an ingredient. Calcium is an excellent buffer, so you might look at using calcium sulfate, or even something as basic as milk or yogurt which are good sources of calcium. The calcium will buffer the acid formation, making for a less acid dough in the long run. This is why antacids such as Tums contain calcium.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor