Author Topic: Ok, Iím going to take on a Me & Edís Clone  (Read 8180 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Ok, Iím going to take on a Me & Edís Clone
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2013, 12:19:48 AM »
Well welcome aboard Gary!
Thanks so much for stopping by here on your first post....very interesting info you hare providing. Thank you.
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2013, 09:28:23 AM »
Gary

Great info. Thank you soo very much.  :D

Do you recall whether the yeast was powdered granules or brick form? And do you recall anything about the temperature of the water?
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Old Straw Hat Guy

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2013, 02:50:02 PM »
I don't remember much, must have made it hundreds of times though.  The yeast was dry, I remember the smell of throwing the yeast in warm water. 

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2013, 03:54:28 PM »
A few thoughts and updates:

In general, I'm not getting the crust color that I was when I first started ďplayingĒ with the new pizza yeast. The Harvest King flour was freshly milled when I received it in December and am starting to wonder if maybe Iím experiencing the loss due to age/storage issues or if maybe I damaged something in the pizza yeast by storing it in the refrigerator. Iím leaning more towards the loss of freshness in flour.

Any thoughts???

I spoke with the Manager again and he confirmed that the skins are not stored overnight for use the next day.

After each round of pizzas the cornmeal is swept from the oven decks and onto the floor. It is then immediately swept into the flip-down dust pan that is build-in between the oven legs.

Iím finding that over-all the pizzas made earlier in the day are better that those in the evening, but flavor isnít quite as pronounced.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
I added a tsp of granulated cane sugar, changed up the fermentation and upped the oven temp. 500F plus.

Mixed dough ďall-at-onceĒ, finished dough temp 90F, and gave it a long (13 hour) room temp. (95 F) bulk ferment. Overnight refrig. and a 4 hour warm up before rolling.

Correct Fermented Flavor picked up nicely but still needs to be more pronounced. Bottom crust color is more even, but still weak. Crispness is where it was when I first started. Not layering dough to reduce the variables.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2013, 04:07:16 PM »
Flour vs yeast freshness...that new type of yeast packet is an IDY yeast, correct?
I keep my IDY in the freezer(1 lb. bag) and it can go a year and still be golden.....3 month old freshly milled flour should not give you any problems either though I wouldn't think Lydia. But I'm sure you know better than I on this matter.
Thanks for continuing on this...sounds like you are having good experimental results. :chef:

Bob

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »
Flour vs yeast freshness...that new type of yeast packet is an IDY yeast, correct?
I keep my IDY in the freezer(1 lb. bag) and it can go a year and still be golden.....3 month old freshly milled flour should not give you any problems either though I wouldn't think
Bob

I've assumed it's IDY or a RapidRise, based on recommend usage, but don't know for sure.

Well here's the deal....when I first opened the Harvest King flour, it was behaving a bit better than the GM B4B flour. Mainly better flavor and browning. So I was going to keep an eye on it to see if the Harvest King label was going to turn out to be different than the GM label, but now it's behaving just like I'd expect from the GM label.

I've lost the "magic" that came "so effortlessly" with my first doughs.  :(

Iím hoping that Iím wrong on the flour, but I donít think so. When Harvest King first came on the retail market, with limited distribution, I had much better results. Then after a couple of label changes and full distribution I was having more inconsistencies. I suspected that the flour had been changed, as is usually the case, but after this little incidentÖ. Well, I think itís simply a freshness issue.

This is one of those things where it would be great to know for sure, but bad news for me if Iím right. GM flour has a high turn-over in my area, but the flour usually sets in a warehouse/distribution center for who knows how long before it hits the store shelves.

So, Iím still hoping that someone might be able to tell me that 3 months truly couldn't have made that much of a difference. And I'm not buying another 50 lbs of Harvest king right now to find out.  :-D

Thanks for continuing on this...sounds like you are having good experimental results. :chef:

Bob

Yah, just because I'm not posting doesn't mean that I'm not working on it.  :D The good thing here is that I have a manager that is willing to talk "pizza" with me and I'm working on something "current" that I can sample and compare on a regular basis.

I did have a bit of a distraction. I found that the La Pina Harina flour I prefer to use for flour tortillas was discontinued in November, and had to source new flour. Thankfully, I found something even better. It's a professional tortilla flour that is just now entering the retail market with "very limited distribution". It a rare "California wheat" grown and milled here especially for flour tortillas.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:39:59 PM by Lydia »

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2013, 11:40:20 AM »
My apologies for letting this topic fizzle out.

I did discover, that my son who was helping me, was indeed grabbing the GM B4B flour bin. It was labeled as both GM B4B and Harvest King Flour. I had asked him about it, and he assured me it "was" the Harvest King flour, but since the GM flour was labeled as both, you can see how that mistake happened.

After that discovery, a head hunter contacted my husband and he accepted the interview. Long story short, and a drive across the states that was a bit reminiscent of a National Lampoons movie, I have just arrived in my new home state of Alabama and am living in a hotel until we get into a rental.

The good news is, that once we finally get into a rental home, I can order fresh flour and yeast and start all over. The other good news is that I will have been exposed to a few more thin crust styles. Specifically Donatos and Pizza Inn.

Donato's was good, but I sure miss the higher amounts of stringy cheese on the California thin crust style. At Pizza Inn, I chose the buffet so I could sample both styles. This was probably not the best choice. Dried out pizza under a heat lamp, isn't the best examples, so we will try them again.

Oh yah, and on the road we chanced by a Peter Piper Pizza. I'm so glad we did. The crust was just how I remembered it. It's like the M&E / Shakeys crust but it has a thicker top layer that was airier (so sorry, no pic). Much thicker than anything we've tried here. The bottom was perfectly crispy like the pics of M&E (with crumbs falling with every bite) but it has darker spots on the bottom indicating higher temps on a stone oven. (Like board member ME gets on the grill with the 2 stone.)

The cheese was disappointing, lower quality, and that was covered with copious amounts an imitation dry powdery Parmesan, that I really wished wasn't there.

At one very limited point in the 80's, Chuck E Cheese had a pizza just like it, and yes, it was good "once". It was when that chain was in it's hay-day in my area of Cali.

Hoping to get my hands back into the pizza dough, soon  :chef:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2013, 03:19:12 PM »
Congradulations on your husbands new job Lydia! I hope all will be well for you in Alabama....you moved there from Cali...is that right?  Bless your heart, you are braver than I.  :)

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2013, 08:38:40 PM »
That's great news Lydia!! In all the hustle bustle of putting a house together, uprooting yourselves and replanting in a state thousands of miles away, the one thing on your mind is making a better pizza? I got to hand it to you Lydia, you are a hardcore pizza lover.    :-D

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2013, 11:51:02 AM »
Thanks guys!

Northern Alabama is a bit like the bay area in California, culturally diverse but with the bonus a southern hospitality, lots of space to breath, gentle rolling hills with wooded areas in between. I love the idea of living in town, while still have a cluster decades old pine trees growing in my back yard. Huntsville is the area where the high-end amenities are. I mean for gawds sakes, the reclining movie theater seats are leather, with a designated 21 over reserved seating with a gourmet restaurant.  ::) BTW, later I'm catching a movie at the $1.50 discount theater.  :-D

That's great news Lydia!! In all the hustle bustle of putting a house together, uprooting yourselves and replanting in a state thousands of miles away, the one thing on your mind is making a better pizza? I got to hand it to you Lydia, you are a hardcore pizza lover.    :-D

LOL...yes it's true. My husband knew to expect our drive to also be a food excursion. The pecking order is Pizza, calMex and old-fashion baking. I've already been scanning the local super markets for new and familiar ingredients. So, the Oscar Meyer pepperoni for the RT clone is abundant around here ;D (happy dance) but cheese will be trial and error. Mexican food is going to be my greatest challenge. I can see that I will be doing a-lot of mail-order. ::) I will die without my tamales 2 x a year. But I'm really looking forward to using southern flour in my baking and curious to see how eastern GM flour differs from the west coast flour.

But..... before I can do all that I have to find a home with a kitchen and pantry I can live with.  :-D

QUESTION??

Have you guys ever been in a Pizza Hut that is sit-down restaurant with table clothes, trifold menus and a waiter? This was a bit of a shock for me, but what really messed with my head is that it's also a DRIVE_THRU ??? And has clearly been a drive-thru since the 60's or 70's  ???

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2013, 12:00:02 PM »

QUESTION??

Have you guys ever been in a Pizza Hut that is sit-down restaurant with table clothes, trifold menus and a waiter? This was a bit of a shock for me, but what really messed with my head is that it's also a DRIVE_THRU ??? And has clearly been a drive-thru since the 60's or 70's  ???
That's a new one on me Lydia, too bad they didn't also have the thin & crisy from the 70's.
Sounds like you had a fun trek 'cross country.  :pizza:

Offline Battletoads

« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2013, 12:37:25 PM »

QUESTION??

There is one in my city.  It reminds me of the Pizza Huts I went to as a kid in the 80's.  I am from Indiana and off the top of my head I can think of at least 4 or 5 that are like this still.  Though all the new Pizza Hut locations are in strip malls and have much smaller eat-in areas and do not have any waiter or waitresses.

Offline Zing

« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2013, 01:17:47 AM »
Lydia:

Don't know if you are aware of it or not, but there is a built-from-the-ground-up Shakey's that opened on March 28th, 2008 in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is a great place to visit, with all kinds of food available in this college town.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 01:24:19 AM by Zing »

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2013, 01:59:23 PM »
Lydia:

A lot of the Pizza Huts in my area went to delivery/take out only little units in a strip mall, but there are a few sit-downs, although no more waiters or menus at the table.  Some of those places are still found in more rural town areas where Pizza Hut is perhaps one of the few restaurants in the entire area/county.

Glad to hear you made it and are settling.  Looking forward to more of your experiments.  :)

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2013, 10:52:19 AM »
Yay  ;D   we scored the town-home we wanted. This is the first time that I'm actually thankful the have an electric cook-top. Nearly every home we saw had glass induction which would be totally useless to me.

I've been lucky with pizza ingredients yet still. Thank goodness! I found the Pizza Yeast to exist in a couple of stores, found a few more brands of pepperoni, Poly-O mozz., both whole milk and low moisture. And found a few candidates for shortening.

It will take a bit of time to sort through boxes, but I haven't had my home cooking for over a month now. So, I'm pretty anxious to get cooking again.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2013, 11:30:52 AM »
Congratulations!  You'll have your kitchen back soon enough Lydia.  :chef:

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2013, 01:49:14 PM »
Local Pizza Hut by us is sit-down with tablecloths. Doesn't help the pizza much  :-D

We also still have the all-you-can-eat buffet for lunch. Pizza, salad, pasta, cinnamon sticks, etc. Not a bad deal if inferior food is your craving.

pizzapan