Author Topic: Hi Folks...  (Read 476 times)

Offline wolfylee

Hi Folks...
« on: December 15, 2012, 08:04:46 PM »
I've tried and failed miserably over the years to make home made pizzas so I've joined the forum to glean as much info as I can.  I'll be honest I'll be mostly reading and rarely posting - If I do post it will be because I've succeeded, so I'll share the recipe/process.

I'm trying to conquer NY style pizza at home, with a home electric cooker - that will never change so I'll have to adapt.  I'm from the UK and so it's difficult to replicate some of your recipes ingredients so I'll have to do my best.  There are two catalysts to me giving it another go - I've discovered my perfect pizza sauce in sieved pizza express passatta - nothing else required, that's the sauce!  I also tried a Costco pizza slice recently and although the pizza itself wasn't much to write home about the base was so much better than anything else I've had in the UK I realised it's really all about the base!

Anyway, thanks to everyone who contributes - if I manage anything decent I'll let ye know ;)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Hi Folks...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 08:36:48 PM »
wolfylee,

Although PaulsPizza isnít a member here on this forum anymore he did do experiments on a NY style pizza here on the forum and now has his own pizzeria in the UK.  He sent me some Manitoba flour from the UK and I found that it was very good.  I donít know what flour he uses now though.  If you search PaulsPizza in the search box on the main forum page, you can see some of his posts.

This is PaulsPizza website for his pizzeria.  http://www.paulspizza.co.uk/

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 08:52:11 PM »
I'm trying to conquer NY style pizza at home, with a home electric cooker - that will never change so I'll have to adapt.

Tell us about your electric cooker.  By 'cooker' do you mean oven?  What's the peak temp that it goes to? Does the cooker have a broiler element and a baking element? Are you baking pizza on a stone?

Offline wolfylee

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Thanks norma4271!  I'd already seen the flours PaulsPizza recommended and they are very easily come by in the UK so they are the one's I'll be getting(Sainsburys but ideally Waitrose very strong Canadian).  I saw your results and they look spot-on but more importantly you thought they were tasty!

Hi scott123 - just like norma4271, I've seen loads of your posts and you both clearly are pizza legends!  ;D

By cooker, yes I mean oven(and should have said oven) and if by broiler you mean 'grill' then yes.  I've googled broiler and it seems that what I call a grill you call a broiler - direct heat(electrical element/gas flame) above the food, like to make cheese on toast?  I thought a broiler was something different - involving water for some reason.......the Max temp of oven is 250 centigrade.

I used to have a pizza stone but it cracked - I will be getting another.  Soon after I posted my 'hello' I came across the kettlepizza so may be trying that - at this time of year though I'll be surprised if it can reach 700 degrees outdoors in Manchester.  ;D

enter8

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 09:37:48 PM »
Hi Wolfylee,

Welcome to the forum!

I've also based in the UK these days, so I'm familiar with the flours you refer to as well as the oven set-up you describe. For what it's worth, I ordered a pizza stone online through "pro cook" (in the UK) and have been using it for a while (under the broiler) now. No crackage...yet! :) I generally make NY style pies with about a 2-3 minute bake time but have been experimenting with more neapolitan-style doughs and methods.

Looking forward to hearing more about your pizza-making.

Cheers,

Mal

Offline wolfylee

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »
Thanks Mal,  I was talking through my a$$.  My old pizza stone cracked - I've just discovered my other, newer, pizza stone at the bottom of my oven - hidden by baking sheets etc and I think it's the same as the one they sell at pro-cook.  It's been so long since I tried my pizza making that I'd forgotten what I have and don't have.

I don't think I could use my broiler as my pizza stone can only fit in my oven at the very top or bottom as it is too large to go anywhere else because the oven 'fan' protrudes in the middle and I don't have the clearance - I guess that would be too close to the broiler - I would be leaving only a 3mm gap so would be cremating my pizza toppings :(

Offline wolfylee

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 01:27:31 PM »
Just discovered the G3 Ferrari - which can be bought for £120 over here so may give that a whirl!

Offline wolfylee

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 06:50:04 PM »
Ordered the G3 - so I'll report back results.  One of the problems I have is that, based in the UK, the flour and yeast mentioned on this forum can't be cost-effectively obtained.  With the internet I could probably obtain anything available worldwide but as this is something I want to do to on a once-a-week basis then obtaining the exact ingredients at a premium isn't sustainable.  So I'll do my best with them.

Another problem is that in the UK we are rotten at Pizza's so knowing what pizzas styles I like best is impossible to judge as there are two types type here.  We have Pizza Hut and Domino's chains, both of which I like or we have local Pizza shops, generally run by people who simply buy the equipment and ingredients and ultimately rely on the high-fat cheese making everything taste good.  (It does taste good but that's because fat generally tastes good - it's like the pizza base is a fat delivery device).  I'm going with NY style as I like the ones at Costco...My dream is to make a pizza that is relatively low in fat but tasty and convincing.  It won't taste as good as a full-fat, devil-may-care pizza with all the trimmings but I want it to taste the best it can.  I'm not talking about fat-free, I'm not mental - but at least I can judge what is in it.  
FYI: I initially want to perfect a simple pizza dressed with 'pizza express' passatta(sieved), mushrooms, ham, Galbani mozzarella and lots of oregano!  I'm simple - I'll get creative once that one is perfected.

Anyway, I've been researching loads on this site - I think I'm on the cusp of making a lot of it fit in my head so I wanted to say thanks to everyone...especially Pete-azza(who is amazingly generous and knowledgeable and exacting and every good superlative I can think of and NO DOUBT, makes this the excellent forum that it is), Norma123, Chicago Bob, Tom L, Scott123, Steve Z et al. I'm sure there are loads of others but I feel I've only scraped the surface of the forum.

I don't want to be one of those members that doesn't contribute so I'll post back any results I get.

Once again...thanks.  ;D

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:54:52 PM by wolfylee »

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 06:59:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Lee.

I used the forum's search function to find some relevant links about the G3.  If I were you, I'd read them all, especially Squid's experience modifying it to deliver balanced top and bottom heat.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

Just hit "advanced search", then enter "g3" in the first box.  Select "search in titles".

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 07:01:21 PM by pizzaneer »
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline wolfylee

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 07:30:38 PM »
Thanks Pizzaneer, it's the search function that led me to the G3!  >:D

I've been searching like a mad man - I'll get there dude!

pizzapan