Author Topic: I don't know the style pizza  (Read 751 times)

Offline sb 44 champs

I don't know the style pizza
« on: December 17, 2012, 09:13:20 PM »
Made some dough on Sat. Let it rest at room temp for 1.5 hrs then in the fridge until 330 today (monday). I let it sit for 2 hrs. Basically doubled in size.
I would love to make Neapolitan Pizza but just don't have the set up.
So my quest is to find a dough that fits what I am looking for.
It seems my style changes but I guess part of it is I don't really know what I am looking for. I do know I want a soft & chewy rim that is kinda airy and a crispy under crust.
Here's the recipe I used today. Took some pointers from one of the posts on this site about using milk.
All dumped in the bowl of a stand mixer w/a dough hook- 4 minutes on speed 1 then about 5 min on speed 3.
Two 13" pizza's
Flour GM Bread Flour 385.75g
Water  59%              227.59g
IDY .98%                    3.78g
Salt (Kosher) 1.24%    4.78g
OO                1.17%    4.51g
Sugar            1.55%    5.98g
Milk              11.65%  44.94g
TF               .09
Total Wgt 670g

Oven pre-heated to 550* and used a lodge cast iron pan. I did order two 12" A36 steel plates (1/4"). I know, not as good as 1/2" but for my current set up, 1/4" is what works.
Dough was fairly easy to work. didn't quite get it to 13" but it was close. I was able to do a knuckle stretch and then on a dusted peel. First pie was sauce, cheese & pepperoni for my wife and grand daughter. the second pie was grape tomato's, bacon, cheese. No trouble launching the pies.
Baking took about 6-7 minutes/pie (didn't actually time it).
The dough turned out nice. Could have a bit more color and rise on the rim. But overall, the taste was great, the crisp was good (but could be better). No char but i figured that due to my set up.
Sorry, no pic of the dough prior to dumping from the container.
Not the best pics. Need to get a digital camera for taking pics of my cooks.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: I don't know the style pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:40:58 PM »
Drop the milk and that 5min. on speed 3 and I think you might likey... ;)
Can you get some higher protein flour sb?
Bob
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:42:29 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline sb 44 champs

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 05:52:14 AM »
Walmart used to carry KABF. All they carry is KAAP. I did pick up a bag of Peter Pan bread flour from Sams to try. Protein is supposed to be 12-14%. Will give it a try over the coming weekend.
Most of my previous dough endeavors have been w/o milk so wanted to give it a try and see what happens.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 09:45:55 AM »
Eddie,

It is hard to categorize your pizza style, mainly because of the use the milk. Otherwise, it might look like a NY style but since milk is about 88% water, the "true" hydration of the dough is around 70% when you also take into account the water content of the milk and also the slight "wetting" effect of the oil. A hydration of around 70% is not a common value for a NY style dough, at least not a commercial one. At one time, there were a handful of pizza chains that used milk products in their doughs but I do not know of any that currently use milk in liquid form. There may be some, however, who use milk in dry form (high heat, baker's grade). The only independent pizza operator that I can recall offhand that uses fresh milk is Vitos and Nick's, for its Chicago thin-style pizza (for my clones see Reply 120 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6368.msg117150.html#msg117150).

According to what Tom Lehmann recently posted at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=84770&sid=3ba09c1fb86ec08e1ecc2a07e37c3745#p84770, when you get below 25% whole liquid milk you really have expensive water. However, as Tom noted, at higher levels you will get more crust coloration. I discovered that myself when I tried Peter Reinhart's American style recipe, as I discussed at Reply 45 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg63672.html#msg63672.

Peter

Offline sb 44 champs

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 03:47:51 PM »
Thanks Peter.

I read a post here about the use of milk so I felt I wanted to give it a try and see what happens. I like trying new things to see what type of effect a certain ingredient gives to the dough. I do want to try cane syrup in a future batch, so I may sort of base it off of a Mellow Mushroom recipe that you did a while back.

It's very difficult to stick to one kind of pizza. My family prefers pizza with alot of sauce, where I prefer tomato chunks, whole milk mozz and very few other toppings. In an attempt to find something in the middle, i usually make one batch of dough, enough for two pizza's. The dough recipe I use varies somewhat each time I make a pie. For the most part, they have all been decent but not great.

So my attempts continue in an effort to find what I am looking for. This is the first time I have used milk in pizza dough and I actually kinda liked the results. I also wanted to try a higher hydration dough to see if I could achieve a bit more oven spring. I didn't really get the result I desired but it wasn't all that bad.

I may eliminate the milk and go for a higher hydration on the next dough batch to see what kind of effect it has. I also like to cold ferment my dough for 2-3 days so I'm making dough on Wednesday's and cooking on Sat or Sun.

pizzapan