Author Topic: Fresh Mozz. melting temperature?  (Read 1811 times)

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
Fresh Mozz. melting temperature?
« on: December 16, 2005, 01:56:28 AM »
I made a pie yesterday with some locally made, organic, fresh mozzarella. It was really firm stuff. I cut it in slices and put it on the pizza, which was cooked at around 650-700 degrees for 4 minutes in my Kamado. The bottom of the crust was perfect, but the sliced mozzarella had barely melted at all. When I've used BelGioioso mozzarella in the past, it has always melted into a nice (but somewhat soggy) pool of cheese. This local stuff (from Windsong Farms in Wasilla, Alaska) just wouldn't seem to melt. I had to take the pizza to my oven and put it under the broiler for a few minutes. Even after the outer crust started to turn black, the cheese still wasn't completely melted. I did a test and put a slice in the microwave and it took over a minute on high for a small slice to melt.

Is this typical for a really fresh mozzarella? I'm definitely going to have to use this stuff whenever I get around to making my first neapolitan pizza. For NY pies, I'll probably try this stuff again. But since it's so firm, I can probably shred it so it melts better.

Steve

pizzapan