Author Topic: Order of toppings on a traditional Pizza  (Read 1178 times)

Offline wolfylee

Order of toppings on a traditional Pizza
« on: December 23, 2012, 08:03:20 PM »
Hi Folks, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the order that toppings should be applied.

In a traditional pizza the tomato sauce is on the bottom and the cheese is on the top - no argument here!  BUT, should the toppings thereon be dictated by water content? I.e, the higher the water content, the closer to the top?

I was also thinking that to keep water content down that some ingredients could be refrigerated uncovered for 24 hours and this would remove some of the water content(in a modern fridge)

Wondering what the thoughts were.......
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 08:05:14 PM by wolfylee »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Order of toppings on a traditional Pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
I would not refrig stuff uncovered...not going to dehydrate much and can/will pick up off flavors. Saute or nuke and then paper towel things worked for me in the past....before I just simply stopped applying copious amounts of toppings.  ;)
The order of application doesn't matter I wouldn't think. I mean...wet is wet, right? Pepperoni, bacon...things like that, most people put on top to crisp.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline miso_ohio

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 05:55:06 PM »
I know this is an old post but I will reply anyways. My rule of thumb has always been what ever topping needs the most cooking should always go more towards the top. For example Pep needs almost no cooking so it always first on, cooked bacon or ham may be next and so on. Veggies are the same way, olives, pickled peppers and things like that first and raw veggies in order of cooking time. Mushrooms cook quicker then onions and raw peppers normally take the longest. Any raw meat should always be on the top if you dare to use such a thing (raw sausage cooked on a pizza is wonderful as long as it cooks all the way).

This is sort of a personal topic but this is how I always work it, of course as Bob says if you want something extra crispy you should put it on top. I know I do a hot dog pizza for the kids when I am having a party. It is pretty much dough topped with a mixture of 5 parts ketchup to one part mustard as the sauce. A cheese blend that  must include cheddar, and then Hot dog, followed by what ever vegetable(s) I can get the kids to agree on and then topped with diced left over bakes potato. The Potato is always on top not because it needs to cook longer but because I want it to be more crispy and brown like french fries might be. The kids always like it and then I can go back too making more fun adult pizzas with things like capers and goat cheese on them.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 06:23:28 PM »
It  seems to me that the crust style and substance has to dictate not only what toppings to put on and in which order but also how many.
Miso's hot dog pie for example, must have a pretty substantial dough to hold sauce, cheese, meat, veges and taters.
A less substantial dough may break thru with many wet ingredients.
I occasionally will paint olive oil on my dough first, seems to inhibit some wetter ingredients from soaking in.
I have read in these forums that some pizzerias put the cheese on 1st with tomato sauce on top. I have not tried that yet.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

pizzapan