Author Topic: Newbie Vs WFO - one night only  (Read 1661 times)

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
Newbie Vs WFO - one night only
« on: December 19, 2012, 06:22:13 PM »
Hi all

My darling wife has arranged for what I think is the best birthday present ever! -She's hiring a portable WFO for me to play with this coming Sunday evening.

My thought is to make a few variations on dough (sourdough/fresh yeast/all purpose/tipo 00/48 and 24 hour ferments) and try em all out.  I'll keep the toppings simple.

I'm pretty much in control of getting good pizza out of the home oven, but this will be my first time using a WFO.   I'm sure this won't be my last time using a WFO, but I'd like to make the most of it.

Any advice if you've made the transition?  Any gotchas to warn be about?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Newbie Vs WFO - one night only
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 06:42:09 PM »
Who is going to be firing it up? That may be the biggest challenge if you've never done it. Doesn't matter what variations of dough you have if the WFO isn't up to the proper temp with an established fire to maintain a balanced heat distribution.  

Happy Birthday!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:57:56 PM »
I would imagine if one is "hiring" a mobile WFO oven for a day the firing will be handled/supplied by the WFO owner...?  ???    Otherwise, that would be like giving Mom a vacuum cleaner for her B-day...

Enjoy your day man!  :)
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 07:49:36 PM »
Make lots of dough and go crazy, if no one is bleeding at the end of the night it is a success.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 04:27:30 AM »
Yes the owner will get the oven started before handing it over, and my wife is pretty handy with keeping a fire going so I might get her to assist!

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 12:30:35 PM »
A few pics from last night.   Great fun to play with the WFO, and it really did supply the texture (soft with a little chew!! finally!) and flavor I've been missing in the home oven.   Only had one "disaster pie" when I attempted to make a calzone on request which split when it slid into the oven!  Other than that its wasn't too hard to get the basics happening.  The finer art of really getting the temperatures absolutely right will have to wait until I build one of these.  floor temp was anywhere between 600 and 800 and dome anywhere from 900 and past 1k. 

I had planned to take a heap of photos and notes... but once guests arrived that all went out the window, so just have a few stray pics here.  I got a bit impatient and put the bread in when the temp was still about 480f and it had a bit of an Alien moment... if there are any sci fi fans here.

Offline wolfylee

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 04:22:47 PM »
They look bloody marvellous!!!

Shame you didn't have more pictures but they look great!

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 09:58:05 AM »
You got a good wife!

She gonna have hard time next year, unless she's planning on buying you an Acunto or something!

How much did the guy charge for the oven rental?

John

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 04:35:55 AM »
I'm actually not sure what the guy charged for the oven rental, I suspect I'll be happiest if I stay in the dark about it!     Yes it'll be a hard one to beat.  Baking back in the ol' kitchen oven isn't quite the same now.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 12:16:27 PM »
this is why you just stop everything and get a WFO. I used a WFO for the first time and 3 weeks later I owned one! The universe came through for me because there was no other way.

now it's your turn!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer