Author Topic: Neapolitan Pizza: San Marzano Tomato Sauce - What are the BEST brands??  (Read 550 times)

Offline MicheleR

• I Love Pizza!
I'm very picky with the Tomato Sauce I use, and I have tried brands such as LaValle, Carmelina, Vantia, Nina and Rega Rega, the one I liked the best is Vantia - Selezione Oro or Gold Selection, the tomatoes are more firm and feel from fresh, and it is very sweet if you just bite into it.
What sauce do you guys use?
Also, what recipe do you use? I dont add anything to the can, I just use a potato masher with a drainer w a bowl under it and mash the tomatoes. I tried the OXO food mill but didnt love the texture.

I would love to know the brands/sauces that everyone uses!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:51:47 PM by MicheleR »

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
These questions have been asked a zillion times before on the forum.  Have you used the search function???????

It is in the upper right of the screen.  "Advanced Search" is in the row near the top a few lines under your name.

There is also an entire section devoted to sauces (the one you posted in):

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?board=44.0

It has 25 pages of threads.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:17:02 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Mich is exactly right that this seems to get asked every other week or so. I'll answer anyway because it's a short answer.

Cento Italian in the 35oz can, OXO food mil with the medium plate, salt to taste (usually about 1 tsp). Done.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Mich is exactly right that this seems to get asked every other week or so. I'll answer anyway because it's a short answer.

Cento Italian in the 35oz can, OXO food mil with the medium plate, salt to taste (usually about 1 tsp). Done.

+1 on the Cento Italian 35 oz can
Deb

Offline MicheleR

• I Love Pizza!

Wow, really?
Have you tried some of the other ones that I mentioned?

Offline MicheleR

• I Love Pizza!

Which one of these two?

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Wow, really?
Have you tried some of the other ones that I mentioned?

A couple, and at least a half dozen other SM's. I've never tasted a DOP San Marzano that I thought was worth the money - or meaningfully better than the Cento Italian 35oz.

It's neither of the ones in your picture. It's this:
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage