Author Topic: Full red pizza sauce  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Full red pizza sauce
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 09:02:26 PM »
7/11 seems to sweeten up a bit after being baked, and the acidity disappears. Especially on deep dish after baking for 25 minutes. (Yeah, I know I should use Tomato Magic for deep dish. I have a can of Tomato Magic. But like I said, I have 8 cans of 7/11.)

Does it seem to become sweeter and less acidic to you after baking?
Yes it does, not sure why that is either, I just know it taste really good cooked on a pie  :-D
But I am guessing that's by design, I am sure years of them perfecting 7/11 tomatoes to be cooked only on the pie as it is baking, to start out acidic and end up perfect. Just guessing here have nothing to back that up.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:27:24 PM by Rinoxxx »
Sam

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 12:05:50 AM »
If you are looking for a complete sauce then it's Full Red Fully Prepared Pizza Sauce.  It is a very good sauce for midwestern pizzas.  The Full Red Pizza Sauce is to thick to be used directly and is also designed as a base only,  proper thickness is adding 6 to 7 cups water to one #10 can and your custom spices. Neither of these will work well in the Eastern or Western part of the country.  Here you need not a puree base or a pizza sauce but a much fresher variety.  This is where you might want to consider 74 40 or 7/11 ( with some help this can be a decent sauce).  Most central areas are puree based, east and west coast fresh pack whole, ground or crushed.  Full Red are in my opinion the very best products out there, for fresh 74 40 can't be beat, far better than 7/11 or 6 n 1.

So, I think it really matters where a person is from and what they are used to.  Of course, you can use any sauce or ground you like. It just depends what you like.  If you go put a puree and water mix on a NYC pizza you might get shot, do the same in Chicago and it's what people expect....

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 01:22:14 AM »
Rinoxxx,

I just want to suggest trying Pizzaiolo which is made by stanislaus. It is always good and you would be surprised how many Pizzerias use it straight out of the can or as a base sauce. Try a spoonful straight out of the can and you will be hooked on it as well.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17415.msg285546;topicseen#msg285546

TomN
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:27:21 AM by TomN »

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 03:07:42 AM »
Rinoxxx,

I just want to suggest trying Pizzaiolo which is made by stanislaus. It is always good and you would be surprised how many Pizzerias use it straight out of the can or as a base sauce. Try a spoonful straight out of the can and you will be hooked on it as well.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17415.msg285546;topicseen#msg285546

TomN
Hey Tom,
The RD by me doesn't carry that one, I would have to find another source to try it.
I am pretty happy with 7/11 and Tomato Magic , I like a simple sauce on my pizza, I usually only add little fresh oregano, little fresh basil, a dash of sea salt and that's it. I just tried the Full Red just to see what it was like. If I see Pizzaiolo I will give it a shot though  :)
Sam

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 03:52:54 PM »
Rinoxxx,

TomN

X2.  That is a decent canned sauce for sure.  Nice blend of flavor and pretty rich.  There is a place by me that uses it right out of the can and they are pretty busy. I still prefer the Full Red Fully Prepared as it has more oil plus Romano and Romano in sauce is great ( to me anyway)
Another good one I forget to mention is Pastorelli Italian Chef, like the Full Red fully prepared, it has oil and romano.  That one can be used right out of the can, we did that in my families first pizzeria, people loved the sauce.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 05:07:17 PM »
I have also enjoyed LaRegina Italian Peeled Tomatoes. I got a can from a Pizzeria in town that makes a Fantastic Margarita Pizza in their Wood Fire Oven.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22498.60

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 03:54:59 PM »
Full red pizza sauce is fantastic! Its a bench mark in pizza sauce making, but it needs to be used correctly. 1 can if full red needs a half can of water. Saporito needs a 1:1 ratio sauce to water also you need sufficient sugar to take away the acidity, unless you want a very tomatoey acidic taste.

Here's my recipe for sauce
2 cans full red
1 can 7/11
1 can water
8oz sugar
2oz salt
1oz black pepper (volume measure)
3oz organo (volume measure)
1oz basil (volume measure)
6oz grated romano
4oz vegetable oil
Make today for pizza tomorrow.
If you can get some grande east coast blend or whole milk mozzarella make a pizza let it sit for 10-15 minutes then have a slice, oh I forgot you need to add about a good three finger pinch of romano cheese on top of the pizza cheese before baking to get that good flavor
Jamie

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 11:26:38 AM »
Full red pizza sauce is fantastic! Its a bench mark in pizza sauce making, but it needs to be used correctly. 1 can if full red needs a half can of water. Saporito needs a 1:1 ratio sauce to water also you need sufficient sugar to take away the acidity, unless you want a very tomatoey acidic taste.

Here's my recipe for sauce
2 cans full red
1 can 7/11
1 can water
8oz sugar
2oz salt
1oz black pepper (volume measure)
3oz organo (volume measure)
1oz basil (volume measure)
6oz grated romano
4oz vegetable oil
Make today for pizza tomorrow.
If you can get some grande east coast blend or whole milk mozzarella make a pizza let it sit for 10-15 minutes then have a slice, oh I forgot you need to add about a good three finger pinch of romano cheese on top of the pizza cheese before baking to get that good flavor

I just want to say Thank you for posting your recipe. I am going to pick up a can of each and cut the recipe in half, for home use. Your recipe sounds good. Thanks again for posting it.

TomN

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 12:08:32 PM »
Kostakis1985

Have you ever used 4oz of EVOO instead of 40z of vegetable oil in the recipe? Just curious how this would change up the recipe? Thanks again.

TomN

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 12:17:59 PM »
I've tried it yes and didn't care for it, a common misconception in my opinion is more expensive=better, save your evoo for your nice salad with your pizza, but if you want to try it go for it, its unique for sure :)
Jamie

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2014, 02:19:36 PM »
Jamie,

As a point of clarification, are the oz measurements not indicated to be by volume specified by weight or by volume?

Peter

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2014, 02:54:53 PM »
Sugar, salt,oil,romano,are weighed out

Oregano,basil, black pepper are by volume
Jamie

pizzapan