Author Topic: Cooked vs Uncooked pizza sauce....  (Read 89052 times)

Offline csacks

• It takes some big onions.
Re: Cooked vs Uncooked pizza sauce....
« Reply #220 on: February 02, 2015, 10:26:41 AM »
Wouldn't cooking a sauce be the same as using a different topping?  There does seem to be this idea on the forum that you never cook toms. 

How about dividing the can of tomatoes in half, saute with the garlic, oregano, whatever and then combine the cooked with the uncooked.  Different flavor that what you had before.

Somewhere I got the idea that if you want fresh toms on your pizza you should put them on after it is cooked, to bring a different taste to the pie.  Tomato sauce, cheese, cook the pie, fresh tomatoes when it comes out. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #221 on: February 02, 2015, 10:40:04 AM »

How about dividing the can of tomatoes in half, saute with the garlic, oregano, whatever and then combine the cooked with the uncooked.  Different flavor that what you had before.

csacks,

If I understand what you are posting that would be like using November's MAE method.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #222 on: February 02, 2015, 11:56:56 AM »
Wouldn't cooking a sauce be the same as using a different topping?  There does seem to be this idea on the forum that you never cook toms. 

For me, cooking them 2X is enough. They are cooked when canned and cooked a second time on the pizza. I don't think they need to be cooked a 3rd time in between.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #223 on: February 02, 2015, 12:43:51 PM »

Somewhere I got the idea that if you want fresh toms on your pizza you should put them on after it is cooked, to bring a different taste to the pie.  Tomato sauce, cheese, cook the pie, fresh tomatoes when it comes out.

fresh slices of a tomato on top of pizza while it bakes is a wonderful topping not often seen.

If you want to pre cook your tom sauce that is up to your tastes. Most folks like the 'fresher' taste of the tomato sauce applied to the pizza straight out  of the can.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #224 on: February 02, 2015, 12:50:36 PM »
fresh slices of a tomato on top of pizza while it bakes is a wonderful topping not often seen.

I'd say it can be a wonderful topping. It can also be a complete disaster.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #225 on: February 02, 2015, 12:57:07 PM »
I'd say it can be a wonderful topping. It can also be a complete disaster.

Your NP style of pie, yes I could see it being tricky. You have to be really trying though to mess up a Chi-thin pizza.  :pizza:

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #226 on: February 02, 2015, 12:59:18 PM »

Tomato basil pizza, especially direct from my garden, is one of my top 5 NY style toppings. I always put the tomatoes before bake.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #227 on: February 02, 2015, 01:09:15 PM »
  Your NP style of pie, yes I could see it being tricky. You have to be really trying though to mess up a Chi-thin pizza.  :pizza:

I've had NY style too where they cut them too thick and/or salt them only to leave a lake of tomato water in the middle of the pie.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #228 on: February 02, 2015, 10:14:37 PM »
If you can slice them thin enough they work great.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #229 on: February 02, 2015, 10:36:37 PM »
I've had NY style too where they cut them too thick and/or salt them only to leave a lake of tomato water in the middle of the pie.

Yes, like Tom says....thin to win. As a prep boy in early 70's they had me slice the tom's on the Itaian Beef meat slicer.  :D   Not crazy thin slice though.

Back then a menu might list just one "Specialty pies". And that would 9 times out of 10 be called the "Special".
And it wasn't hard to get carried away when building that dudesicle......every joint had their "fixer", McGyver type who was adept at placing a carboard round over the top, invert pizza, do repairs to bottom crust, let water drain off, re-invert, doll up the top an slip her into the paper bag.

Oddly enough...always happened most on the 10in. size "Special".

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:47:28 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #230 on: February 03, 2015, 08:33:27 AM »
I pick over 200lb of tomatoes from my roofdeck every summer/fall.  They are all simmered down before they are canned with nothing else, no oil, no flavors.  ...
For 30 years my wife has had a third of our garden in plum tomatoes.  She and the children over some of those years, picked, cleaned, and canned our beloved garden yield.  About two years ago I discovered 7/11 puree.  It broke my heart to have her taste all our "Italian gravies" now made with 7/11...  on her own, she said: "Well that's the end of me canning tomatoes anymore..." in some ways it mad me sad. :(

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough!
Re: Red November Pizza Sauce (#2)
« Reply #231 on: February 22, 2015, 09:33:09 AM »
MWTC,

Thank you.  I'm glad you liked it.  You win the prize for being the first person to ask that.  It's actually an inside joke, as there is no single #1 sauce.  #2 is just the succession to a lot of "research" sauces.  In case you're wondering, there is no #3 either.  I created the sauce I was seeking and that was the end of it.

- red.november

Darn, spent a half hour looking for # 1 before finding this post. Since # 2 was posted in 2007, could there be a # 3?  ;)
Carl

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: Red November Pizza Sauce (#2)
« Reply #232 on: February 27, 2015, 08:11:47 PM »

Offline MWTC

« Reply #233 on: February 27, 2015, 08:30:10 PM »
No !!!!!   Of course there could. Can everyone say proprietary gold?   :drool:

Offline woodoveneats

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #234 on: February 28, 2015, 11:04:12 PM »
I prefer uncooked on our wood fired pizza.  But it has to be made from really good tomatoes, and the tomatoes have been crushed and/or processed in a food mill.  Food processor or blender chops up the seeds and releases a bitter taste in the sauce.

Offline MWTC

« Reply #235 on: March 01, 2015, 04:18:48 AM »
I have also found out that if I press fresh garlic through a garlic press and sauté just for a very short time it also imparts a bitter taste. "Un-cooked" sauce, without sautéed garlic is much better because of the lack of bitterness it imparts. I am much happier with my sauces since I learned this is where the bitterness was coming from. I can now advance my sauce making by the eliminating this "error". Onward we go.  :chef:

pizzapan