Author Topic: Adding Life Back To Tomatoes  (Read 440 times)

Offline rparker

• Pizza....good! No pizza.... Bad!!!!
Adding Life Back To Tomatoes
« on: January 19, 2015, 01:29:03 AM »
Anyone else losing that bright fresh from can taste after a couple nights in the fridge?

I use tomatoes straight from can. Pretty nice. Just a wee bit of basil, oregano, granulated garlic, sugar and tomato powder if they are somewhat watery. Depending on the can, I could lose tht fresh from can taste the next day or a few days later.

Things I've tried to revive them with include olive oil, brown sugar, sugar, garlic salt, granulated garlic and water. Sometimes I do OK. Sometimes not.
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Adding Life Back To Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 07:06:35 AM »
Oxidation is probably your enemy here. You can slow it down by storing in something like a ziplock bag so that you can remove air in contact with the surface of the sauce.

Acidity will also slow down oxidation. I use a bit of wine vinegar to add some contrast to the sauce. For storage, I add a dash of malic acid (~.5%) which I like more than the citric or ascorbic acid used by commercial canners to retard oxidation.
Procrastinate later

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 08:35:16 AM »
Unless I have a use for them the next day (and never on pizza), I throw them away.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 02:11:49 PM »

Only season the amount you are going to use that session.

You may have noticed on Chicago/midwest thin crust type of sauce recipes most authors will suggest at least a few days in the fridge for their seasoned sauces....this is not a "bright and fresh" tasting sauce.

I'd try what Bill said...put unused, unseasoned sauce in zip baggie an squeeze the air out.

Also, I've seen a lot of NY style pizzerias "lightly season" their pie/sauce just after spreading the sauce out onto the skin. You could keep a spice mix premade in lil container and then do the magic pinch/sprinkle thing they do. Save you from having to decide/guesstimate how much sauce to leave separately unseasoned.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline rparker

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 03:22:02 PM »
Thanks, everyone. Good points and suggestions all around.

I'll try that zip-lock first thing, too.

Yeah, I discovered the seasoning of the tomatoes issue the hard way a few months back. It was some strong sauce. Not at all my preference for pizza. I tried the sprinkling thing a few times, too. One of them was the worst pizza I ever made. I still do it for granulated garlic, though.

I just had a thought. Anyone ever tried saving unused tomatoes in the freezer for pasta sauces? Should be better than most any national brand of spaghetti sauce.

Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline gfgman

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 07:58:59 PM »
I've tried making sauce from frozen, and also adding a new can to fresh tomatoes run through a mill, but I can never seem to hit on a sauce that nails it for me.  The taste is never quite right, and even with a lot of paste, it never has that cling that you get with a bottled sauce. 

Offline rparker

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 09:37:29 PM »
I've tried making sauce from frozen, and also adding a new can to fresh tomatoes run through a mill, but I can never seem to hit on a sauce that nails it for me.  The taste is never quite right, and even with a lot of paste, it never has that cling that you get with a bottled sauce. 
Do you mean no good sauce from any of the canned tomatoes, or just ones that have been frozen? I've had some batches of sauce come out like that using canned tomatoes. It happens to me when I simmer it too rapidly. That bowl of pasta sitting  in a pool of water thing. blech! You're right, it is tough to recover. Some sort of tomato/water separation happens.

I didn't even use tomato paste for a while, but my favorite cans of tomatoes had a few watery batches and it kind of forced my hand.

There are some good jarred sauces in the stores now-a-days at least. Tough to find 15-30 years ago.

I think I'm going to try doing the freezer thing. There's gotta be something I can do with 'em. I've never really measured anything going in anyhow, so it's not like I'm clinging on to a desperately delicate recipe like pizza dough turned out to be.  :-D

Offline gfgman

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 12:13:14 PM »
Both.  I'll start by sweating some garlic and onions, then my garden tomatoes run through a mill, and then a can of paste, and a can of San Marzanos.  I've tried that as my base.  I usually have so much that I'll divide it up and freeze most of it.  Then I'll take a portion of the base and add spices to it.  If I think it is still too watery, I'm hitting it with more paste.  If I think the tomato flavor is lacking, I'm hitting it with more SM's.  Whether I'm using the fresh base, or one of the forzen portions, it doesn't matter.  I can never quite hit on something that rivals the jarred sauce my wife and I like, or rivals what I've had at restaurants. 
The one thing I do like is some fresh canned SMs warmed up with some fresh basil strips tossed in, and served over good ravioli.  I had that at a restaurant once, and I've done it at home.  Other than that I've got nothing. 

Offline gfgman

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 12:20:26 PM »
Full disclosure:  I'm not buying expensive jarred sauces.  We like Francesco Rinaldi's Sweet and Tasty Tomato.  Maybe once a year it's on sale for less than $1.  When the sale price is decent, I stock up.  That's the only thing we use.
I don't like their tomato and basil sauce.  It tastes like they took a sauce that already had a lot of spice to it and added more basil to make the basil stand out.  Overkill in my opinion.

Offline rparker

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 09:12:30 AM »
An update on the leftover front. I've used quite a few partial cans of leftovers. I've found my tomatoes age limit on my NY style pizzas to be 3 days. Once is a while 4. After day-3's bake, I dump the remaining straight on to the top of what's already in the freezer. I had 3 containers of tomatoes and made up a very nice pasta meat sauce. 1/2 went back into the freezer for another easy night of pasta meat sauce.

It almost failed. I let the heat get away from me for a minute or two and went into a little heavier rumble than one wants for a meat sauce. (so the water and flesh from the tomatoes do not separate, leaving one with that lake of red water under pasta) I caught it in time and it stayed together. (phew!)

Roy