Author Topic: Need help with growing oregano  (Read 280 times)

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Need help with growing oregano
« on: August 08, 2015, 12:46:07 PM »
I usually grow basil and  dry leaves  for later use. This year I bought some oregano seeds and planned to use the leaves as I do basil. Well so far I can hardly detect any flavor in the oregano leaves. I dried some leaves and no aroma or taste. The fresh leaves have a very mild flavor. The seeds were from a local seed company and are just labeled oregano.
So am I picking too soon? Is there a certain variety that has more flavor? The package says will grow to 3 feet but I am picking leaves at about 6 inches.
Any thoughts?
Marty
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 12:49:05 PM by apizza »

Offline TatsPizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Need help with growing oregano
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 10:33:01 PM »
  I grow oregano and the variety I use is "Italian oregano". I buy it at the local greenhouse as a started plant. They have about six varieties, Italian, Greek, hot and spicy, Turkish and the other two I don't recall their names because the greenhouse staff told me they were "ornamental" varieties. I suspect your oregano may be an ornamental type. My oregano creeps on the ground.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:45:32 PM by TatsPizza »

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 03:30:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I suppose it could be ornamental. As of right now that's all it is.
Marty

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 06:52:24 PM »
Marty,

I don't know if you are interested in wading through a big thread, but members helped me with where to find seeds and other garden related things at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=10535.0 

I usually don't start my plants from seeds anymore.  I purchase oregano and other garden plants at different local places.  That way the oregano and basil can be smelled.

Norma

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 08:40:26 AM »
Thank you Norma. I'll give it a look.
Marty