Author Topic: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?  (Read 24913 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?
« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2013, 01:13:37 AM »
Use all the contents in the can of CENTO Tomatoes in my Vitamix.  Since I knew it would be a little watery, I added just over a third of the tube of the CENTO Tomato paste to thicken it . Also, I added Dry Basil (even though there is some basil in the can), Sugar, Himalayan Pink Salt, Granulated Garlic, and a splash of Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley 2008 wine (instead of Red Wine Vinegar). So far, it tastes great, but I will let it set in the fridge over night for more flavor development.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:15:31 PM by TomN »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #161 on: September 21, 2013, 08:33:02 AM »
Tom, do you usually make your sauce a day ahead?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2013, 08:36:50 AM »
The best sauce I ever tasted was on a Margherita at Luzzo's a few years ago. I had them bring me a bowl of it (ostensibly so I could dip my crust in it, but I really just wanted to eat it with a spoon). I was sure they were adding tomato paste, but I could never duplicate it. The next time I went back, it wasn't the same, and it tasted like what I would expect on a typical Neapolitan Margherita. I think not it must have just been a very special can of tomatoes.

Online stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2013, 08:47:21 AM »
Lately we have been using the sauce recipe from Peter Reinharts Book 'American Pie'....but we also make one adding salt, Olive Oil and a little dried basil.   The preferred brand is Cento.

http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
Jacob August Riis

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #164 on: September 21, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
Tom, do you usually make your sauce a day ahead?

Hi Craig,

I usually make the sauce and use it right away. However, i was reading that dry Basil and other dry spices will do some further flavor development, if you let it set in the fridge over night. I don't know if this is true or not. Maybe with dry spices only??? However, I had some time to kill and thought i would give this a try.

Also, I sure love the Red color in CENTO and Alta Cucina Tomaotes (Stanislaus).

TomN
PS
I felt like I was using a tube of toothpaste with this Tomato paste in the tube. LOL
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:16:54 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #165 on: September 22, 2013, 01:10:02 AM »
I made two pizzas tonight with the sauce that I made with CENTO tomatoes and paste. Everyone loved it. I definitely will do this sauce again for sure. I plan to use tomato paste when making sauce in the future.. (including the splash of good Red Wine)

TomN

1 can CENTO SM Tomatoes (28 oz)
1/3 of the tube of CENTO Tomato paste, or until it seems thick enough for you.
Salt, Sugar to taste.
A little Garlic powered or granulated garlic (1/2 teaspoon, maybe even less)
1 Tablespoon of Dry basil (or more/less if you like)
Blend up fine (I use a Vitamix and have learned to put the lid on)

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22498.msg277584.html#msg277584
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:57:07 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #166 on: October 02, 2013, 12:37:35 AM »
While I continue to try all the San Marzano Tomatoes, I am finding more and more wood fire oven Pizzerias and Italian restaurants that are swearing by Alta Cucina Tomatoes by Stanislaus from CA.  Their comments are always about the consistency, the sweetness, the fresher dates on the can, and the Red Color of Alta Cusina Tomatoes.  Also, the price is very good as well. It is making me re-think about spending extra money for "SM Tomatoes" and searching out the many different brands. I only wish that they came in a smaller can, instead of the #10 size can. However, the price is about the same as those 28 oz SM Tomato cans.

TomN
PS
At least I know for sure that they are from CA and I do not having to guess about whether they are really from the SM area.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:51:34 AM by TomN »

Online stonecutter

« Reply #167 on: October 02, 2013, 08:30:35 AM »
Are you finding these at a regular grocery store or at a specialty market?

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
Jacob August Riis

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #168 on: October 04, 2013, 01:41:14 AM »
I used to buy Alta Cucina at the Costco Business Center, but they stopped carrying the Stanislaus Product line.  Now, I get it at Restaurant Depot, but I have to go shopping with a friend that owns a restaurant to get in the store and I buy it by the case. Other times, i just buy a can of CENTO tomatoes, but Alta Cucina are priced better and consistent in quality.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:48:21 PM by TomN »

Online stonecutter

« Reply #169 on: October 04, 2013, 07:05:06 AM »
Thank you. 

Jacob August Riis

Offline mttfrog13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2013, 11:43:52 PM »
I do my sauce this way too. I use a stick blender to purée the tomato and add dried oregano and salt to taste, then blend again.

I currently hand crush my tomatoes, but I've been thinking of buying a hand/immersion blender since the last few times I did not simmer my sauce.

If I hand crush and then I simmer, the heat breaks down the tomatoes so it make a pretty nice, thick, incorporated sauce. Lately though, I've just been hand crushing and then topping the pizza with the sauce uncooked. I feel that this doesn't break down the tomatoes enough and I'm left with some decent sized chunks, and the sauce isn't well incorporated and gets a little watery partly because the tomato pulp isn't mixed in and partly because I didn't boil any of the water content off. This is especially after being in the fridge for a day or two and the water/moisture starts to separate.

Part of the reason that I held off on blending my san marzano tomatoes is because I've heard from a few people who have said that blending the tomatoes crushes the seeds can release a bad acidity into the sauce. It made sense to me (the bad taste you get when you bite into an apple seed by accident), so I avoided it. Straining the seeds somehow before blending could help this, or just blending very lightly.

What is everyone's thoughts on simmering san marzano tomatoes for NY style pizzas, and do you guys try to remove any of the seeds?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:50:08 PM by mttfrog13 »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #171 on: October 16, 2013, 12:41:07 AM »
I used to hold to that view of the seeds causing bitterness and tried my best to remove the seeds and water. However, i have seen many more opinions on the web and Pizzerias that say the seeds and the water in the tomatoes actually provide a good portion of the flavor in a tomato.  I am sure there are contrasting views concerning this, as well as, should you cook or not cook your sauce before using it. (I don't precook my sauce) To me, it depends on your personal preference. I know some Wood Fire Pizzerias that will only add some salt to their tomatoes sauce, while others will add salt and sugar. Then there is the American style Pizzerias that all all the other spices, and some add tomato paste. It's really up to you and what you like on your pizza. IMO.

Best to you.
TomN

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #172 on: October 16, 2013, 10:02:14 AM »
I used to take the seeds out, but I got tired of messing with it, and I can't say that I notice any difference. If I see a hard stem end, I'll snatch it out, but that's about it. I use all the liquid in the can, and then I'll strain it a bit if it looks too wet after I pass everything through the food mill.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #173 on: October 25, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »
Picked up a few different brands to try for sauce making. Anyone have a favorite here?

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2013, 07:08:22 PM »
Did buy them this time, but here were a few other choices.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 07:13:00 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #175 on: October 25, 2013, 07:12:46 PM »
A closer look
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 07:15:28 PM by TomN »

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #176 on: October 25, 2013, 08:14:31 PM »
Picked up a few different brands to try for sauce making. Anyone have a favorite here?

Those Bianco di Napoli are very good.  Pastene is my favorite. 

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2013, 10:09:04 PM »
tinroofrusted,

Thanks for the reply. I went to the Pastene website and checked out their tomatoes. I will look for them, but that is a brand that I have not seen before. Thanks again.

TomN

http://www.pastene.com/

Offline caymus

« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2013, 09:23:43 AM »
tinroofrusted,

Thanks for the reply. I went to the Pastene website and checked out their tomatoes. I will look for them, but that is a brand that I have not seen before. Thanks again.

TomN

http://www.pastene.com/

I use Pastene when I can not find Sclafani.  The Pastene always seems a little sweeter.  I notice that Sclafani lists citric acid, but Pastene only lists citric acid as natural from the tomatoes.  The last cans were $1.54 from ShopRite.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »
Pastene only lists citric acid as natural from the tomatoes. 

It actually says from the tomatoes? Or does it say something like "naturally derived citric acid?"

pizzapan