Author Topic: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?  (Read 29056 times)

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
Re: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 02:54:43 PM »
I just place mine in one of these over a ceramic bowl for 15-20 minutes or so and let them drain naturally.  Give it a stir now and then.

If it gets too thick, just add some juice back in!

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/1/Ekco_30160139.jpg

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 04:18:31 PM »
For uncooked, I drain off the water, mash them, then add back packing water to get the proper consistency, then use salt and/or sugar to balance the flavor if needed.

For cooked, here is the list of things I always put in the sauce, along with very approximate amounts:
1-28oz can of tomato sauce.
2-4 tsp sugar (I use un-processed brown sugar).
1-2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarse black pepper.
2 cloves, crushed.
10 shredded leaves of Basil, fresh or about 1 tbsp of dried.
Dash of dried Oregano.

I also sometimes use paprika, red pepper flakes, and various other herbs and spices, although I never use onion or garlic in the sauce (unless it is marinara).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 04:20:32 PM by Tscarborough »

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 09:18:15 PM »
GB,
I assume you are using a heavy bottom pan to "pre-scald " your canned tomatos. To be clear. you really do notice a taste improvement even with just a 30 second scalding of the whole tomatoes?  Thanks!
Bob
Bob -

Since I only prep 1 can at a time, I use a deep anodized calphalon skillet over a high flame.  When the garlic just starts to go gold, I dump the whole tomatoes in, stir with a wooden spoon, and add some sea salt.  The skillet should be hot enough that there is lots of sizzle when the tomatoes hit.  As they just start to react to the heat by softening, into a bowl they're dumped.  I repeat the process as many times as necessary to prep the amount of tomatoes I think I'll need.  I pulverize with an immersion blender and salt to taste.  As I said, if more oomph is needed (I like intense flavor), I take some of the prepped sauce and scald that for a minute until it bubbles on the bottom of the skillet.  It gets very concentrated and flavorful.  that goes back in with the rest.  Then I let it sit in the fridge for a day or two.  Makes it better (to my palate).  That's my technique.  I've tried lots of prep methods, always knowing what flavor I was after, but not necessarily how to get it.  I know I've found my method when I get the flavor and texture I've been looking for.

- GB
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 09:34:33 PM »
Awesome...going to try this on my next DD pizza. Thanks GB!  :chef:
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 12:22:29 AM »
I would tell you that the tomatoes you use are by far the most important ingredient.  I would decline your can of Peeled Tomatoes and tell you to get a can of 6 IN 1 All-Purpose Ground Tomatoes in Extra-Heavy Puree.  Bert adds 1 tbs of dried basil, 1 tbs spoon of dried oregano, 1/8 tsp of paprika, 1 tsp of diced garlic and 1 tbs of EVO.  This should work very well.  I do NOT use Paprika in my sauce but that is just a matter of personal taste.  No crushing by hand, just run it in the blender to mix the spices.

Last night i made chilli for 50 people. While it was not Pizza, I got to try 7/11 (Stanislaus) and 6 to 1 (Escalon) side by side, as i used them in the chilli. I purchased both of them to do my own taste test since i needed about that amount of ground tomatoes to work with.

Both are really good products. However,  I have to give the edge to 7/11 Ground tomatoes by Stanislaus. The extra heavy puree in the 6 to 1 by Escalon was not the winner here (for me). The 7/11 had that extra special tomato taste and sweetness. IMO. I did not see the need for the extra heavy puree.

Don't take this comment the wrong way. I would used 6 to 1 again, but compared to the 7/11, I would use 7/11 as my first choice.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 12:51:52 AM by TomN »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 11:10:19 AM »
Hey Tom,
Your little experiment reminds me of the olden days!  :chef:
I have done that exact same thing...2 big cans side by side. I too prefer the 7/11's but my description would be different than yours yet we still prefer the same product, interesting.
I find 6 in 1 to be the sweeter and because 7/11 adds citric acid I like those better because they seem to taste "brighter"(a 'lil tang) ...to me.

Chili looks awesome and I'll bet tasted great with your beer addition...keep up the great cooking and thanks for the pics.
Bob

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 01:47:18 PM »
Tom,

The Stanislaus 7/11 tomatoes contain the peel of the tomato. The 6-in-1s come in two versions, one with the peel and one without (the ones sold in the 28-ounce size cans at the Escalon website do not have the peel). Can you tell us whether the #10 can of 6-in-1s you used contained the peel?

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 01:58:37 PM »
I find 6 in 1 to be the sweeter and because 7/11 adds citric acid I like those better because they seem to taste "brighter"(a 'lil tang) ...to me.
Bob,

I'm not sure that that is quite true. I'm certain that Stanislaus monitors the citric acid of all of its tomato products but if you look at the Nutrition Facts for the 7/11s, at http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/_pdfs/7-11-Ground-Tomatoes.pdf, you will see that the citric acid is "naturally derived". Escalon makes a big point at its website that it does not add citric acid to its tomatoes (see http://www.escalon.net/escalon-difference.aspx) but that doesn't mean that their tomatoes do not have citric acid. I once made a Dallas food broker laugh when I told him that the Escalon tomato products did not have citric acid. He said that they all had some citric acid. That doesn't mean that one should prefer one over the other. It still comes down to personal taste.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 02:13:52 PM »
OK thanks Peter.
There is something that is different between these 2 products ingredients lists...I just can't remember it right now.  Probably salt...7/11 does, 6n1 don't, add.  :-\
No skins either in the #10 Escalon btw.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 02:59:58 PM »
OK thanks Peter.
There is something that is different between these 2 products ingredients lists...I just can't remember it right now.  Probably salt...7/11 does, 6n1 don't, add.  :-\
Bob,

Unlike Stanislaus, Escalon does not make it easy to compare their products with the Stanislaus products by readily providing Nutrition Facts at its website, although it will provide the information on any given product upon request. As it so happens, I saved the label from an old can of 6-in-1s with the unpeeled tomatoes, which is the counterpart to the Stanislaus 7/11s (see the comparison chart at http://www.pizzamaking.com/escalon_stanislaus.html), and, on a same serving size basis (125 grams, or a half cup), the 7/11s contain 330 mg versus 205 mg for the 6-in-1s unpeeled. A difference of 125 mg sodium is equivalent to a bit less than 6/100th of a teaspoon of salt. I don't think that you can detect that difference on the palate. Unfortunately, I do not have the Nutrition Facts for the 6-in-1s without the skins but the Stanislaus Tomato Magic counterpart to the 6-in-1s without the skins contains 300 mg of sodium for a 125-gram (1/2-cup) serving (http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/_pdfs/Tomato-Magic-Ground-Tomatoes.pdf). Again, the difference is minuscule.

In general, I think it is safe to say that just about all standard tomato products contain some salt. Some, such as tomato paste, might not contain any added salt but it may contain small amounts of natural sodium.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 05:36:32 PM »
I donít know if this will help or not, but this is a big can of 6-in-1s All Purpose Ground tomatoes. They do have salt added.  The Nutrition Facts are in the one picture.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 05:59:31 PM »
I donít know if this will help or not, but this is a big can of 6-in-1s All Purpose Ground tomatoes. They do have salt added.  The Nutrition Facts are in the one picture.

Norma,

Thank you.

The serving size for the small can and the #10 can size is the same but there is a teeny bit more sodium per serving in the large can. But not enough to mean anything.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
I think the big can of 7/11's says "citric acid" on it. It sure seems to me that I noticed they tasted "brighter" than 6n1's and I saw citric acid on the 7/11 label.
Maybe Bob's tripp'in man!  >:(

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 10:41:43 PM »
OK thanks Peter.
There is something that is different between these 2 products ingredients lists...I just can't remember it right now.  Probably salt...7/11 does, 6n1 don't, add.  :-\

Hi Bob,

Just wanted to mention that 7/11 is made for a NY style sauce (with the skins). Stanislaus also makes a product call Tomato Magic for a Chicago style sauce (no skins).

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11710372&search=tomatoe%20magic&topnav=bdoff&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Browse=1&N=5000045&whse=BD_767&Dx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&Ne=4000000&D=tomatoe%20magic&Ntt=tomatoe%20magic&No=0&Nty=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial

Again, both Escalon and Stanislaus are great tomatoes. I just prefer the taste of the 7/11.

TomN
ps
Cinder Bock by Samuel Adams is a great tasting Double Bock. Unfortunately, it is seasonal and not always available. No worries, I seem to find many other beers to take it's place.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:57:08 PM by TomN »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 10:53:28 PM »
Thanks Tom....the words 'Tomato Magic' keep popping up through my journey in this obsession.
'Bout time I got my hands on some I reck'in.... ;)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2013, 07:36:50 AM »
I think the big can of 7/11's says "citric acid" on it. It sure seems to me that I noticed they tasted "brighter" than 6n1's and I saw citric acid on the 7/11 label.
Maybe Bob's tripp'in man!  >:(

Bob,

If Tom still has the empty #10 can of 7/11s, he may be able to tell us what the ingredients list says.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2013, 11:42:30 AM »
I got this from Penn Mac,
ING: vine-ripened fresh tomatoes, salt and naturally derived citric acid

http://www.pennmac.com/items/4063//stanislaus-ground-tomatoes

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2013, 01:09:36 PM »
Bob,

Thank you. That is the same ingredients information as given at the Stanislaus website. What I was wondering is whether the same information is on the label itself.

Peter

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2013, 03:33:24 PM »
Bob,

Thank you. That is the same ingredients information as given at the Stanislaus website. What I was wondering is whether the same information is on the label itself.

Peter

Peter & Bob,

Stanislaus does not list the ingredients on the can because it appears that they only want to sell their products to commercial settings (Pizzeria and restaurants, etc..) not for home/individual use. (Kind of like Grande cheese does)

However, here is what their website says.

http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/_pdfs/7-11-Ground-Tomatoes.pdf

TomN
PS

Ingredients:
Vine-ripened fresh tomatoes, salt and
naturally derived citric acid.

Allergens:
Does not contain: egg, fish, milk, peanuts,
sesame, shellfish, soy, treenuts, or wheat.
Product is gluten-free.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 03:41:04 PM by TomN »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2013, 04:58:04 PM »
Stanislaus does not list the ingredients on the can because it appears that they only want to sell their products to commercial settings (Pizzeria and restaurants, etc..) not for home/individual use. (Kind of like Grande cheese does)

Tom,

Thank you. I had saved the label from an old #10 can of Tomato Magic and it did not list the ingredients, so I wondered whether the same was true of the #10 7/11s.

Peter

pizzapan