Author Topic: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?  (Read 25302 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2013, 09:50:23 PM »
Peter,

It is true with all Stanislaus products. Again, they intend for their products to be used in commercial settings, not for individuals or home kitchens.

TomN
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:12:02 AM by TomN »

Offline malvanova

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2013, 12:10:43 AM »
Hello,   what type of tomatoes are ground up in the 7/11 unpeeled ,  plum? round? cherry? I would prefer plum for the pulp and sweetness, I think the amount of citric contained in the type of tomato varies ,.. ????

Phil

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 02:27:51 AM »
This sauce recipe looks so basic but it looks so good. Anyone tried this before or can anyone recommend this???  Thanks.

TomN

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizza/pizza_sauce_recipe.html
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 02:31:21 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 02:30:23 AM »
Does anyone use one or more of the optional ingredients in their sauce???

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 02:40:30 AM »
The clip on youtube was worth the watch.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MUfjVuIXXY&amp;lr=1" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MUfjVuIXXY&amp;lr=1</a>

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 10:18:36 AM »
Does anyone use one or more of the optional ingredients in their sauce???

No - nor the black pepper or oregano.

If you are only going to make one type of red pizza, I could see adding other seasoning to the sauce that would complement the pie, but if you are going to make several types, why not individually Tailor the spiced to the pie by adding them to the top of the sauce when assembling the pizza? For example, I don't want dry oregano in the sauce on a Margherita, but I do on a pepperoni. I might want black pepper on a cheese pie, but never on a Margherita or pepperoni, on some pies, I might want dry oregano while on others I want fresh, etc.

I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »
Thanks TXCraig1 for the comments. I have a few cans of San Marzano tomatoes sitting on the shelf, so I plan to do some experimenting soon. In the basic recipe:

Smashed Tomato Sauce
1 can (28 oz) San Marzano tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of oregano

It would seem like garlic would be one of the ingredients as a rule, but he makes it optional instead of a staple ingredient? ??? Anyone have a comment on this?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:33:07 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2013, 05:48:30 PM »
I was at a Pizzeria that followed one of Peter Reinhart's, "American Pie" recipe exactly. I watched him make the sauce and I was impressed. I really liked the sauce.

Here is the recipe from page 142 of his "American pie" book.

Crushed Tomato Sauce

Makes 4 cups

1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil or 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil (optional)
1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil (optional)
1 tablespoon granulated garlic powder, or 5 cloves fresh garlic, minced or pressed
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice, or a combination
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

In a bowl, stir together all the ingredients, starting with 1/2 teaspoon salt and adding more to taste. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

The container in the photo below, used a #10 can of 7/11 crushed tomtatoes, so the added ingredients were multiplied by almost 4
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:19:10 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2013, 05:50:08 PM »
American Pie - My search for the Perfect Pizza - Peter Reinhart

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2013, 12:19:07 AM »
I am really enjoying this book. It is worth adding to your Pizza collection because it contains a wealth of knowledge, detail by detail.

Offline scott123

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2013, 08:12:13 AM »
Tom, there are those of us who feel differently  :)

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2013, 08:58:03 AM »
I wasn't sure if anyone answered the Stanislaus can ingredient question but I have 2 cans at the house now.... Tomato Magic and 7/11's.... Here are the ingredient listings for both...

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2013, 09:05:46 AM »
Escalon products (Stanislaus' largest competitor) do not contain citric acid. For instance, Escalon 6 in 1 tomatoes contain only crushed tomatoes and salt.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2013, 11:00:17 AM »
Escalon products (Stanislaus' largest competitor) do not contain citric acid. For instance, Escalon 6 in 1 tomatoes contain only crushed tomatoes and salt.

Steve,

As noted at Reply 58 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6633.msg160409/topicseen.html#msg160409, a broker specializing in canned tomato products (among other items) once told me that all canned tomatoes contain citric acid, either naturally-occurring or added. In recent years, Stanislaus had changed its ingredients listing to emphasize the "naturally derived" citric acid aspect of its canned tomatoes. See, for example, the ingredients list for their 7/11 Ground Tomatoes: http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/_pdfs/7-11-Ground-Tomatoes.pdf.

Peter

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2013, 11:06:33 AM »
I stand corrected. Thanks, Peter.  :chef:
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2013, 11:46:04 AM »
Tom, there are those of us who feel differently  :)

Scott,

When you say you feel differently, are you referring to the book itself as a whole or are you referring to this individual recipe? For the record, i like many different sauce recipes that I have tried. However, this recipe of Peter Reinhart's is a very good and classic recipe if someone handed you a can of tomatoes and said, make some pizza sauce for me. I started this thread in hopes to see how other people make sauce. What recipes do they enjoy?  Feel free to post your favorite sauce recipe.

TomN
PS
IMO, American Pie should be in everyone's pizza library
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 12:03:15 PM by TomN »

Offline scott123

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2013, 01:06:55 PM »
Tom, the link I posted goes into tremendous detail regarding my thoughts on both the sauce and the book. The Cliff notes– I'm not a fan of either.  Reinhart is a talented writer, but American Pie is riddled with so much misinformation that it should be avoided like the plague.

I don't post my sauce recipe because I don't really believe in the concept of sauce recipes. If you start off with a good tomato, you really shouldn't need much more than that. Salt, and, if the tomato is tart, it might need a little sugar. Garlic, oregano and basil (fresh, never dried) are nice, but only in very small quantities– nothing that would ever detract from the taste of the tomato. Besides sticking to small amounts, these optional ingredients have very distinctive flavors, and can easily be adjusted to taste. In addition, these additions should be tailored to the specific tomato. An approach that works for one brand of tomatoes most likely won't work for another brand.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2013, 01:50:37 PM »
Scott123 and I have talked before about some different brands of tomatoes, each individual has to search out the product which best suits your own taste. One thing I really don't care for is when they package basil in with the tomatoes, to my taste the basil overwhelms the tomatoes in many instances. Many threads on the forum talk about different brands of tomatoes, find the ones YOU like best.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2013, 01:02:30 AM »
Scott,

Can you post your sauce recipe anyhow? I just want to see what you like. I understand that it not to be declared as the "Correct" sauce.  However, I just want to try your personal choice for a sauce recipe on my pizza. (measurements you use?)  I appreciate your willingness to share it and  I am sure there are others that appreciate the variety of sauces and would like to know yours as well.  We are learn from each other on this forum. Thank you.

TomN
PS
If you look at my thread. "using beer instead of water", I list beers that have turned out good dough, and some are my personal choices to use, yet there is a whole world of different beers to try. Expensive and not expensive beers. Limited beers, and plentiful, easy to find beers. I list them to help others enjoy their dough making, not to say i have found the only beer to use.  The same is true with sauce recipes. Thank again. I look forward to your sauce recipe.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:10:46 AM by TomN »