Author Topic: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?  (Read 29042 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2013, 12:55:00 AM »
Had a MARGHERITA pizza today in a new Neapolitan Style pizzeria that is just opening up.  The pizza tasted FANTASTIC and it did not appear that they add much to the sauce, other than some sea salt, and some olive oil, but i could be wrong.  Also, the sauce did not seem to get watery like mine does when i try to make sauce using SM Tomatoes from  the can.

MARGHERITA
Pomodoro, fresh mozzarella, parmigiano, olive oil, basil 9.99

Any thoughts on what to add to the tomatoes???

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:00:58 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2013, 12:03:39 PM »
Here is a link to the Stanislaus Foods Recipe for their version of a Pizza Margherita.

I think it is worth looking at and perhaps adding to your recipe files/book.

TomN

http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/family-recipes/view-recipe/182

Offline Chi_Guy

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2013, 03:18:37 PM »
My sauce recipe varies depending on the tomatoes I'm using.  My general rule is the better the quality of tomatoes, the less I add to them. 

I prefer to start off using strained tomatoes from a jar (no tin can taste, no BPA) because I like the consistency and it saves time having to de-seed and puree tomatoes manually.   Otherwise I throw them into a mini food processor and blend away.

Then I taste the tomato puree itself.  If the tomatoes taste good, I don't add much except salt and a little pepper, and a bit of dried basil and dried oregano crushed by hand.  Sometimes the tomatoes are a bit acidic so I'll add a pinch of sugar to it.  If the tomatoes are lacking or if I want a more robust sauce, I'll go ahead and along with the sugar, add in some garlic and onion powder to the sauce as well. 

I like to marinate the sauce for an hour or so and bring it to room temperature before baking.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2013, 01:26:01 PM »
Can anyone address the subject of how to remove the water from the sauce made with crushed tomatoes. I notice it at the edges of my baked pizza, only when I use fresh crushed SM tomatoes from the can. I am sure this is not a new subject, but I can't find a link or comments.  I am not sure if I am doing the straining correctly or if I need to let the sauce set in the fridge more before using, etc..??? I am asking this because i will be opening up the #10 can of SM tomatoes that I picked up the other day at the new Pizzeria in my above posting. Thank you.

TomN

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2013, 01:59:36 PM »
Can anyone address the subject of how to remove the water from the sauce made with crushed tomatoes. I notice it at the edges of my baked pizza, only when I use fresh crushed SM tomatoes from the can. I am sure this is not a new subject, but I can't find a link or comments.  I am not sure if I am doing the straining correctly or if I need to let the sauce set in the fridge more before using, etc..??? I am asking this because i will be opening up the #10 can of SM tomatoes that I picked up the other day at the new Pizzeria in my above posting. Thank you.

TomN
I just use a fine mesh strainer like this one Tom.    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004RDE1/?tag=pizzamaking-20

I use that on any type of tomatoes. If you are specifically talking about whole canned...then I do the lightly squish thing with all of them in a bowl. Then just dump that into a strainer...you can get them nearly bone dry if you want using the strainer.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline grathan

« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2013, 02:19:25 PM »
Another option would be to leave the cut metal top in the can after opening and pushing down on it while inverting.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2013, 04:18:57 PM »
Thank you for the replies. I only notice the water when the pizza is baked. It is a fine circle of water near the crust. Sometimes I will take a napkin to remove it from the pizza. This only happens when I use a can of SM whole peeled tomatoes. Hope this straining technique helps. Thanks again.

TomN

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2013, 06:43:14 PM »
IMO, on a traditional Neapolitan Margherita, the sauce should look wet across the entire surface of the pie. At risk of being a pizza snob, I would call a pie that did not have the shine of moisture on the sauce flawed. I am also of the opinion that for a traditional Neapolitan Margherita, one should not add anything to the crushed tomato besides salt and perhaps a little sugar. Doing so kills the balance of the pie.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2013, 07:36:58 PM »
Are you making NP pie's Tom?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2013, 02:22:06 AM »
I have not tried to make any yet Bob. However, this pizzeria's NP pizza did have a great taste, unlike some of the other NP pizzas that had a bland taste to them. No offense intended here towards any NP lovers.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2013, 12:15:18 AM »
TXCraig1,

I visited the Pizzeria again today and ordered another traditional  Neapolitan Margherita Pizza. I asked the person making my pizza about what goes into the sauce. He stated that it is just the tomatoes crushed very fine and a little salt, nothing else. Of course fresh Mozzarella and Basil. Also, a swirl of olive oil before cooking it.  The dough cooks up Paper thin and you have to fold it in order to pick up the piece to eat it.

TomN
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:51:53 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2013, 12:16:10 AM »
I loved having this Pizza all to myself.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2013, 08:44:45 AM »
It's a guilty pleasure   ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2013, 09:26:14 AM »
One of my personal favorites is to use slices of fresh tomato in place of sauce on my pizzas, but when ripe, fresh tomato is not available I like to use whole pealed tomato that is first drained well, and then cut or torn into pieces and allowed to drain once again. I don't add anything to the tomatoes, but rather put a very light application of olive oil on the pizza skin, then add sliced or diced garlic followed by several leaves of fresh basil torn into pieces, a little white pepper, and then I add the tomato pieces, followed by the cheese and desired toppings. I think the large pieces of tomato add a lot to the flavor and texture of the pizza as well as providing something of a rustic appearance. I don't add salt to as I believe the cheese provides all the salt needed.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2013, 12:55:06 AM »
I forgot to add that they did sprinkle some White pepper on the pizza at my request. However, I like your comments Tom. Those ingredients sound great.

TomN
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:29:04 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2013, 02:48:48 AM »
Found this Italian Store in the Seattle Public market.  Looks like I have some San Marzano Tomato experimenting to do.

Online slybarman

« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2013, 07:14:22 AM »
Found this Italian Store in the Seattle Public market.  Looks like I have some San Marzano Tomato experimenting to do.

My local wholefoods and safeway grocery store carry 4 of the brands shown in that photo. So far, I haven't figured out how to turn any of them into something I liked.  :'(

The restaurant supply store where I get cheese and flour sells 7-11, but they only sell it in a #10 can, which is just to big for me to use at home.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:18:13 AM by slybarman »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2013, 12:07:58 PM »
I purchase 7-11 at the Costco Business Center and the # 10 can is often too big to experiment with. I often do my pizza sauce experimenting when i make a large amount of chilli. That way,  I do not have to freeze the crush tomatoes and can use the right away. Sometimes I will buy Cento San Marzano tomatoes in the smaller can because the size is just right for home use. The recipe from Peter Reinhart's book, "American Pie", page 142, is great for this. (A book everyone should have in their pizza library. I appreciate that Peter Reinhart is willing to share his recipes and walk you through it step by step)

Crushed Tomato Sauce
Makes 4 cups

1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil or 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil (optional)
1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil (optional)
1 tablespoon granulated garlic powder, or 5 cloves fresh garlic, minced or pressed
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice, or a combination
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

In a bowl, stir together all the ingredients, starting with 1/2 teaspoon salt and adding more to taste. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

One of my other favorite Pizza Sauces is Pizzaiolo by Stanislaus. It also comes in a #10 can, and I have found that i can freeze it without losing any of the great taste.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 12:27:30 PM by TomN »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »
I appreciate that Peter Reinhart is willing to share his recipes and walk you through it step by step

I didn't realize he gave the book away for free?  :-\
Pizza is not bread.