Author Topic: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?  (Read 27362 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2013, 01:11:06 PM »
I have a few cans of San Marzano tomatoes sitting on the self. I am going to give mttfrog13's recipe a try. It looks very interesting to me and the red pepper flakes should give it a little kick. Thanks mttfrog13  for posting your recipe on the forum.

TomN

Offline mttfrog13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2013, 11:13:40 PM »
Hmmm, that is a very ambitious sauce there frog.  :chef:
What type of pizza do you use your sauce on?

I'm new to this advanced pizza game, but I would say that until now I've usually made thin new york style pizzas, topped mostly with meat like pepperoni or sausage. I also like this sauce with meaty deep dish pizzas which I make in a cast iron skillet. I especially like adding the red chili peppers for extra kick in the deep dish pizzas.

I just got a steel plate this weekend and I'm exploring Neapolitan pizzas, and alternative toppings more, and will probably cut the black pepper and garlic powder out of this recipe to let the flavors of the toppings shine through a bit more. I don't really need the garlic anyway because I usually crush, but don't mince, a garlic clove and fry it in some olive oil just enough that it barely starts to turn brown, and then I'll spread this oil onto the dough before I throw the sauce on the pizza. That way I'm getting garlic flavor so I don't really need it in the sauce. This also adds a bit of flavor to the cornicione so that it's a little more interesting. I'm also getting into the habit of grating a very small amount of parmigiano reggiano cheese over the cornicione to give it additional flavor. This basically turns the crust of your pizza into garlic cheese bread. I digress.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:20:02 PM by mttfrog13 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2013, 12:06:39 AM »
I'm new to this advanced pizza game, but I would say that until now I've usually made thin new york style pizzas, topped mostly with meat like pepperoni or sausage. I also like this sauce with meaty deep dish pizzas which I make in a cast iron skillet. I especially like adding the red chili peppers for extra kick in the deep dish pizzas.

I just got a steel plate this weekend and I'm exploring Neapolitan pizzas, and alternative toppings more, and will probably cut the black pepper and garlic powder out of this recipe to let the flavors of the toppings shine through a bit more. I don't really need the garlic anyway because I usually crush, but don't mince, a garlic clove and fry it in some olive oil just enough that it barely starts to turn brown, and then I'll spread this oil onto the dough before I throw the sauce on the pizza. That way I'm getting garlic flavor so I don't really need it in the sauce. This also adds a bit of flavor to the cornicione so that it's a little more interesting. I'm also getting into the habit of grating a very small amount of parmigiano reggiano cheese over the cornicione to give it additional flavor. This basically turns the crust of your pizza into garlic cheese bread. I digress.
Sounds good...I had a feeling you would mention using your sauce on DD pizza. Also like the other different things you are trying with your doughs and hope you keep us informed. Good luck with your new steel plate!

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2013, 12:26:09 AM »
I noticed that Costco has their brand of Tomatoes now. I have not tried them, but any Costco product with the name Kirkland Signature is fantastic and absolute quality. Has anyone tried any of these products yet?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:29:37 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
I wonder if i can find this can of tomatoes for a better price in town? I doubt it.

http://www.wholesaleitalianfood.com/whole-plum-tomatoes.html

Offline slybarman

I keep buying cans of crushed or peeled tomatoes and opening the cans side-by-side with a can of Don Pepinos sauce. While I always thought the Don Pepinos was missing something (never sure what), when I taste them side-by-side, I pick the Don Pepinos every time. The flavor just seems more balanced than the straight peeled or crushed tomatoes.  ???

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
I wonder if i can find this can of tomatoes for a better price in town? I doubt it.

5 bucks for a #10 can? You want it for free Tom!  :-D
How much is their shipping?

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
5 bucks for a #10 can? You want it for free Tom!  :-D
How much is their shipping?

The link says 28.83 a can. I thought that the pizzeria owner that I was visiting a few months ago was just kidding with me when he told me that he pays almost $30 a can for the tomatoes. He was telling the truth. I will have to pay him a visit again and tell him, WOW.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:48:54 AM by TomN »

Offline slybarman

I bought a can of those in whole foods the other day.  Not a #10 of course.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
The link says 28.83 a can. I thought that the pizzeria owner that I was visiting a few months ago was just kidding with me when he told me that he pays almost $30 a can for the tomatoes. He was telling the truth. I will have to pay him a visit again and tell him, WOW.

From your link Tom. That guy is pullin your chain.  :o

La San Marzano brand: Whole Plum Tomatoes w/Basil (6 cans x #10/3.4 kg) Imported Italy
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:21:02 AM by Chicago Bob »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
It was a quick conversation on the fly, maybe he was referring to the case instead of the can.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Also, he makes a pizza that uses Duck Meat on the pizza. He calls it the Quack Attack. i am not big on duck so I didn't order it, but I might have to try it, just to experience it.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
It was a quick conversation on the fly, maybe he was referring to the case instead of the can.
Yeah maybe.  This is interesting though; I know you really like their pizza and I don't want to put words in your mouth....but I wonder what you thought when you first heard the price of the tomato's was 30 bucks a can. I wonder if that could make them taste better subconsciously?

Offline TXCraig1

Like Bob, I'm calling BS on the $30/can of tomatoes. The link clearly says $28.83 for a case (6 cans x #10/3.4 kg). It says it in the title and it says it again in the product description. Also, if you scroll down the page a little further, you see that a single can costs $9.03 which in itself seem like a crazy (and random) premium over the case cost of $4.80/can.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
sorry guys, I must have heard things on the fly. However, his pizza is really good. BTW, here is what is on the Quack Attack pizza. Of course, cooked in a WFO.

Offline slybarman

sorry guys, I must have heard things on the fly. However, his pizza is really good. BTW, here is what is on the Quack Attack pizza. Of course, cooked in a WFO.

Heck yeah, I'd get that.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
I always keep a look out for different sauce recipes. Here is one I found on the internet by someone that has perfected their favorite sauce recipe.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Homemade-Pizza-Sauce

2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 to 2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine tomato sauce and paste. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Cool.
Pour into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Freeze for up to 12 months. Yield: about 4 cups.

Editor's Note: Use the sauce with crust and toppings of your choice to make a pizza; 1-1/3 cups of sauce will cover a crust in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Anyone know what crushed fennel seed does for the flavor of the sauce???

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Revisited the pizzeria today that uses a gas fired oven and makes amazing pizza. Their pizza sauce is basic and simple. They drain the juice from the tomatoes and save that for making marinara sauce. Then take the remaining whole tomatoes and pulp from the can, and blend it in the blender. (The uncut whole tomatoes, seeds and all.) Then put that directly on the pizza with a little sea salt. The sauce is not precooked either. Neapolitan Style Pizza.

This Pizzeria switched to this brand due to availability and price. This is the second Pizzeria that is using this brand of tomatoes. They are good too.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:14:40 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
I have been told that blending the seeds would make the sauce bitter. However, I did not get a bitter taste here. i am going to try this at home. Sounds so easy to do.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:08:15 AM by TomN »

pizzapan