Author Topic: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?  (Read 26322 times)

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
  • Give me Shackleton Every Time
Re: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?
« Reply #220 on: February 02, 2014, 05:25:39 PM »
Hey Tom and others, thanks first of all for the thread and research.

I tend to lean toward a simple, canned/peeled whole tomato sauce, with the tomatoes usually removed from the puree for milling, and then I discard the puree (unless the puree tastes sweet and clean to me, and doesn't seem too watery).

However, as I try to up my pizza game in my sad, normal home oven, I have been going over as many of the threads here as I can.  I also noticed on Jeff Varasano's lovingly written page(http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm)  that he will occasionally rinse his canned tomatoes to cleanse them of the bitter acid and thereby increase the overall sweetness.

Do any of you guys do that?  Any luck with it?  And if so, do you mind explaining the process? I admit I am slightly confused by his description.  I imagine he takes the tomatoes and discards the puree.  He puts the whole tomatoes in a fine mesh strainer, discarding whatever liquid drains from the tomatoes.  Then he pours fresh water on top of the tomatoes, doing this two or three times until the water that comes through the strainer is no longer bitter?

But won't the tomatoes lose their flavor if he keeps dumping water on them?

Anyway, interesting thread.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:27:27 PM by quixoteQ »
Josh

Offline sandsman1949

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #221 on: February 10, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »
Some people simmer the tomatoes and some people use them uncooked-What's the best method? Also, Blended or hand crushed? Add stuff, don"t add stuff?
What's the best course of action?
Thanks!

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #222 on: February 10, 2014, 10:51:51 AM »
Some people simmer the tomatoes and some people use them uncooked-What's the best method? Also, Blended or hand crushed? Add stuff, don"t add stuff?
What's the best course of action?
Thanks!
you will find most people on here do a no cook sauce. I use whole tomatos (canned) with a can of tomato paste. Fennel seed basil and oregano pepper and salt.
Depends on the type of pizza you want. NP pizza just adds salt.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #223 on: February 24, 2014, 11:21:59 PM »
This recipe borrows from November's microwave extraction concept and a basic Neapolitan-style pizza sauce and it's the tastiest one I've ever made.

Here's my recipe:

28 oz can Wal Mart crushed tomatoes or equivalent
¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
½ tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 TB of olive oil
1/2 clove garlic or ½ of a Dorot frozen garlic cube or ¼ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp ground fennel (optional)

Put the olive oil and all the spices into a small microwave-safe container such as a ramekin or a coffee cup.  Ensure that all the spices are wet from being covered in olive oil.  Microwave the mixture for 30 seconds at 50% power.   

Pour the oil/spice mix into a container with the tomatoes.  Close the container and shake the heck out of it.  It is ready to serve immediately,  but it is better if refrigerated overnight.  Apply to pizza when sauce has reached room temperature.

Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #224 on: March 13, 2014, 01:47:25 AM »
I had a margarita pizza at a Pizzeria that make an Authentic Margherita Pizza.  Love it!!!   i asked if I could purchase a can of the tomatoes that they use in the Pomodoro sauce. He gave me two cans of their tomatoes. The can on the right is ground up very fine and they only add salt to it to make a true Pomodoro sauce. The pizza was thin and amazing. A pizza that you had to eat on the spot as it does not travel well. Can wait to try these at home. However, i will have a very hard time finding these tomatoes again.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #225 on: March 13, 2014, 06:42:49 AM »
the guys pulling a Paulie G. and taking the labels off! :-D

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #227 on: March 13, 2014, 09:57:59 AM »
I opened the box while there. There were no labels on the cans and all the cans have printing on the top. They are not trying to hide any secrets. They just make great pizza.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:02:07 AM by TomN »

Offline Smokey Dough

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #228 on: March 13, 2014, 10:27:41 AM »
It seems most do not like to cook their tomato sauce, what I like to do is drain the tomatoes with a strainer and reduce the 'juice' by about half, add seasoning if I'm in the mood, allow it to cool and mix back into the tomatoes.  This concentrates the flavors without cooking the tomatoes.

Tom

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #229 on: March 24, 2014, 11:29:54 AM »
Not to take away from the theme of this thread, but I saw these in the store yesterday and bought a can of each for fun. Has anyone tried either of these jars of Pizza sauce? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

TomN

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #230 on: March 26, 2014, 01:44:38 AM »
i opened both jars tonight to try a big spoonful of each, straight out of the jars. Then, I used both jars in a spaghetti sauce.

As for pizza sauce,  you could get by with them, but just in a pinch. The Classico traditional Pizza Sauce was just OK, and the Prego pizza sauce, only reminded me of spaghetti sauce.  I thought it would be the other way around since i love Prego Sauce in spaghetti??

pizzapan