Author Topic: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?  (Read 36638 times)

Offline TheRailroadBulls

• Ahhhhh... Fatboy Style!!
Re: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?
« Reply #260 on: April 19, 2015, 06:52:04 AM »
I am looking for your favorite tomato pizza sauce recipe that you use on your pizza . Therefore, if i gave you a 28oz can of Peeled Tomatoes, how would you make your favorite tomato pizza sauce with it?   (Again, this is a 28oz can.)

Please post your recipe. Thank you.

TomN
PS
if your recipe calls for a # 10 can(s) of tomatoes, post that recipe. Just let us all know that your using a # 10 can.

ALSO,

If your recipe calls for starting with ready made pizza sauce like Pizzaiolo, and then adding tomatoes, etc... please post it as well. i am really looking to see what people are using. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Using those tomatoes in the picture?

I'd drain the can of all the liquid. Then I'd rinse them under cold water, while at the same time removing all the tougher bits from the inside of all the tomatos, along with any off color pieces or pieces not fully ripened. Then, I'd mix them up with an immersion blender (I like thin sauce when using San Marzanos), ad about 1/2 a teaspoon of fine sea salt, maybe a tad less depending on how many good tomatoes were in that can, and depending on the type of pizza, maybe add some granulated garlic and basil.

San Marzanos lend themselves very well to simple sauces. There's not USUALLY a lot that goes into them. If you like spicy sauces (like I do. I'm a garlic head.) then I'd actually say screw DOP San Marzanos, and go for a good Plum Tomato from California. In my personal opinion, for spiced up sauces, California Tomatoes will win over DOP-SM's every single time. But for simple sauces, the sweetness of SM's is perfect.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice." - Henry Ford

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #261 on: April 19, 2015, 10:05:08 AM »
But for simple sauces, the sweetness of SM's is perfect.
TheRailroadBulls,

I often read where people describe the San Marzanos as being "sweet". In my experience, I would more accurately describe the San Marzanos as being low acid tomatoes. And that might lead people to characterize the tomatoes as being sweet. To me, the fresh pack tomatoes as produced by Stanislaus, Escalon and a few others are sweet. Sometimes, maybe even too sweet.

Peter

Offline TheRailroadBulls

« Reply #262 on: April 19, 2015, 01:50:50 PM »
TheRailroadBulls,

I often read where people describe the San Marzanos as being "sweet". In my experience, I would more accurately describe the San Marzanos as being low acid tomatoes. And that might lead people to characterize the tomatoes as being sweet. To me, the fresh pack tomatoes as produced by Stanislaus, Escalon and a few others are sweet. Sometimes, maybe even too sweet.

Peter

haha, I actually absolutely agree with you. I've just heard "sweet" associated with anything from Italy (even their flours) that when I talk about their products, especially tomatoes, my head just naturally floats to that word. But yeah... there is nothing sweet about them... but nothing really tangy (for lack of a better word) either. So low acid fits well.

I literally just opened a #10 of Escalons Allegro (I don't usually buy prepared sauce) and I was actually REALLY surprised at how good of a product it is. I added some fresh black pepper and that's literally it. Gonna bake up something good in about two hours. I just got back home so I haven't made pizza in almost 2 months so I'm like a little kid over here. But yeah.... Allegro is good stuff as far as prepared sauces go. I am DYING to try Stanislaus products, but I have not yet been able to get into a commercial supplier. :-/

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #263 on: April 19, 2015, 01:56:46 PM »
Try some Sclafani from NJ if you want to know what sweet tomatoes taste like.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TheRailroadBulls

« Reply #264 on: April 19, 2015, 03:33:15 PM »
Try some Sclafani from NJ if you want to know what sweet tomatoes taste like.

I've heard of these and they are definitely another one I'm dying to try. Are they exclusively commercial use like Stanislaus?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #265 on: April 19, 2015, 04:06:20 PM »

I've heard of these and they are definitely another one I'm dying to try. Are they exclusively commercial use like Stanislaus?

No. They have retail product. You can get them on Amazon for a couple bucks a can delivered if you are Prime.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #266 on: April 19, 2015, 08:16:42 PM »
Jon,

711 is fantastic. We all use it when we can buy it. If you ever get the opportunity, try Pizzaiolo Pizza Sauce by Stanislaus, the makers of 711.

TomN

Offline TheRailroadBulls

« Reply #267 on: April 20, 2015, 09:10:10 AM »
No. They have retail product. You can get them on Amazon for a couple bucks a can delivered if you are Prime.

I'm broke @ss white folk I'm not Prime ANYTHING. :-) But thanks man i'll definitely try to score some. I've been preoccupied lately trying to find specialty shops to get some better flour. I'm landlocked in a turd of a city, so there is nothing of value (ingredient wise) here, aside from a few odds and ends.

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough!
« Reply #268 on: April 20, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »

Hi Craig, would you suggest the whole or crushed variety?
Carl

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #269 on: April 20, 2015, 10:57:01 PM »
Hi Craig, would you suggest the whole or crushed variety?

I've only had the crushed. After I wrote the post, I figured I should try the whole too. I have some inbound now.

Offline carl333

« Reply #270 on: April 21, 2015, 02:31:43 PM »
I've only had the crushed. After I wrote the post, I figured I should try the whole too. I have some inbound now.

I'd like to know what your preference is Craig. I don't want to buy a case of both in case 1 is radicially different that the other
Carl

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #271 on: April 21, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
I'd like to know what your preference is Craig. I don't want to buy a case of both in case 1 is radicially different that the other

I'll post after I try them.

Offline carl333

« Reply #272 on: April 21, 2015, 04:21:34 PM »
I'll post after I try them.
appreciated
Carl

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #273 on: April 21, 2015, 04:24:31 PM »
I have high hopes. I like the flavor of the crushed, but I don't particularly like the skin bits that come in crushed tomatoes.

Offline carl333

« Reply #274 on: April 21, 2015, 04:37:41 PM »
I have high hopes. I like the flavor of the crushed, but I don't particularly like the skin bits that come in crushed tomatoes.

Interesting. I have been using Great Value crushed and never had any skins floating around. I have high hopes as well. I don't mind spending 2-3 bucks a can but not 5. Very well recommended by users on Amazon. Maybe send me a PM on your evaluation. Your recommendation here will drive up demand and we'll end up paying more on the next run!   >:D >:D
Carl

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #275 on: April 21, 2015, 07:08:46 PM »
Interesting. I have been using Great Value crushed and never had any skins floating around.

That's because there aren't any....the late , great Classico crushed didn't have any either.
6n1's do.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan