Author Topic: Favorite Olive Oil?  (Read 5586 times)

Offline dineomite

Re: Favorite Olive Oil?
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 11:28:32 PM »
OMG! I didn't even your's Qarl!!! Please delete the doop :-[ :-D

Offline dineomite

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 11:30:57 PM »
In all seriousness, I got turned onto this at Pizzeria Mozza.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 11:31:07 PM »
A man needs to know what he likes... 8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 02:40:57 AM »
I was in downtown Seattle today and found a store that has shelving full of different olive oils to choose from. Even a table to sample some of them. Where do i begin? LOL
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:21:03 PM by TomN »

Offline PetersPizza

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 04:28:24 AM »
Very cool Tom,

If you see any  'denocciolato' oils (oil pressed from pitted olives) I have found them to be some of the best. http://www.olio2go.com/Products/RARO-Denocciolato-Extra-Virgin-Olive-Oil-2012__MAD-005.aspx
Periodically, I order a bottle instead of a new single malt :P

I expect that selection will take a long time to work through.

-Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 09:25:54 AM »
I was in downtown Seattle today and found store that has shelving full of different olive oils to choose from. Even a table to sample some of them. Where do i begin? LOL
Tom,

According the the experts at the California Olive Ranch, you should go with the olive oils in the dark bottles and with a harvest date given on the label (often with a "best by" date). There should also be a country of origin of the olives used to make the olive oil. Expressions like "a product of Italy" do not mean that the olives are Italian olives. They can come from almost anywhere.

Peter

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 11:31:13 AM »
My thanks to both of your for the great information. I will have to make a day of it and try several of them.

TomN

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 06:58:47 PM »
Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.  Santini rebranded for Trader Joe's.

Used this for years when I lived in CA. TJ's also stocks a Sicilian EVOO that was very good, too.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline crkoller

• Food is an important part of a balanced diet
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2013, 01:28:23 PM »
I enjoy Lucini and California Olive range a lot, in all the videos of the pizzerias in Naples their oils seem very light and look less extra virgin then the stuff most places use here seems more yellow /green, anyone know anything about this?

Online jkb

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2013, 03:41:54 PM »
Good.  Easy to find.  Not crazy expensive.

Offline tquest

• <<>>
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2013, 06:24:29 AM »
Anybody experience with 'Rapeseed oil'?

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2013, 07:51:13 AM »
Frantoia Sicilian EVOO

Mary Ann

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2013, 08:11:04 AM »
Anybody experience with 'Rapeseed oil'?
tquest,

In the U.S. rapeseed oil is known by the name canola oil. It can be used in pizza dough, usually because canola oil is viewed as being a "healthy" oil, especially when compared with soybean oil which is one of the most common oils used commercially in pizza dough, usually because of its low cost compared with other oils such as olive oil. However, some people think that canola oil has a "fishy" taste and, hence, avoid it. But that doesn't stop canola oil being used as part of a blend. For example, canola oil and olive oil are commonly combined and sold as a blend, with the canola oil usually being the predominant oil (e.g., 80% canola oil and 20% olive oil).

Peter

Offline slagathor

• I love onions!
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014, 11:26:19 PM »
I'm a big fan of unfiltered "Paesano" (bottled by Barbera of Frantoia fame and cheaper) and filtered "Saica."  Look for the greenest and cloudiest bottles of Paesano at HEB if you have said store in your area. Saica is priced well and golden colored and tastes uniquely buttery and fresh. Mail order. Wish I had pix. Check them out. You will like.

Cheers
I slit the sheet. The sheet I slit. And on the slitted sheet I sit.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2014, 11:55:58 PM »
I'm a big fan of unfiltered "Paesano" (bottled by Barbera of Frantoia fame and cheaper) and filtered "Saica."  Look for the greenest and cloudiest bottles of Paesano at HEB if you have said store in your area. Saica is priced well and golden colored and tastes uniquely buttery and fresh. Mail order. Wish I had pix. Check them out. You will like.

Cheers
Here ya go....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2014, 02:13:19 AM »
Well down here we have some of the worst and some pretty good olive oil.  The supermarket stuff is always imported, mostly spanish (not that that's a bad thing) but generally speaking poor quality and often plain nasty, but you can occasionally find something that is ok - but even then it will probably be bland.  I expect we're getting the bottom of the barrel in the international olive oil dregs market, and I hear that some of the oils on our supermarket shelves will be in excess of five years old, and a fair proportion of it is actually rancid.   

Then you have the NZ olive oils that are a different prospect altogether.  They are really varied in quality - it's an immature boutique industry over here, but there are some stunners and you can find really interesting fresh oils around.  It's very expensive as the oil is produced in small quantities and almost all exported.   There are a bunch of different trees over here so you get the full spectrum of oils from smooth and buttery to grassy and peppery.

Anyway my most recent find that I've been using is Moon Over Martinborough, from a tiny grove just out of Wellington.  This one is super smooth, very easy to drown a pie in it and want to suck up the spill with a straw.  Or something more civilised.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:17:11 AM by dylandylan »

Offline AltaCaliforniaPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 03:40:36 PM »
Great topic. Personally, I find that EVOO is the x factor on a good pie. Whether you got a marinara with a dash of a pungent, grassy olive oil or a prosciutto and crimini pie with herbaceous, piney notes - it elevates the nose on the pie.
Olive oil is so underappreciated in terms of its aromatic qualities and diversity. There are more than 2,000 varietals of olive oil, nearly the same number of varietals as wine grapes have, and each has its flavor profile. So, I don't think it's a question of which olive oil as much as which olive oil for which pie.
It's worth going to a tasting bar or olive oil shop or better yet an olive oil tasting class to learn about the flavors of different ones. Basically there are three positive taste characteristics of an olive oil. Its fruitiness, its bitterness, and its pungency (that spiciness in the back of the throat). A good oil has a balance of the three and its peculiar aroma. An oil that is low in fruitiness, bitterness, and pungency is likely old or incorrectly produced (olive oil has a 12 to 24 month shelf-life depending on storage conditions - 60 degrees and unopened is ideal). Some of the ones that are relatively common and that I enjoy are:

Arbequina - mildly grassy or buttery, roasted nuts (depending on if its an early or late harvest)
Ascolano - sweet, stone fruit-y
Frantoio - Grassy, nettles
Koreneiki - grassy or banana-y (depending on if its an early or late harvest)
Leccino - pungent, green almond
Mission - artichoke, tomato leaf
Sevillano - Pine, eucalyptus

As far as purchasing olive oil in California, among the best producers for inexpensive but high quality olive oil are the super high density producers (mechanical harvest) such as California Olive Ranch (Arbequina/Ascolano/Koreneiki) and Corto Olive Oil (Arbequina/Ascolano/Koreneiki). They produce blends and single varietal oils, both of which are good depending on the application. In the grocery store they typically sell for around $15/liter, which is very reasonable. The artificially low prices of imported oils is caused by the EU giving subsidies to olive growers. Not to say there aren't excellent oils produced over seas and imported - but the vast majority of the Star, Bertolli, blah blah, is awful.
There has been a great deal of media attention on low quality imported olive oil from the Mediterranean, see the book Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Extra Virgin Olive Oil by Tom Mueller.
 The small-scale producers do charge a bit more, but compared to estate produced wines it is a true bargain. And, having worked for an olive producer for a couple years here in Solano County, Le Ferme Soleil - I can tell you it is an expensive and complicated food to make. They often use non-traditional varieties that are distinct and surprising: check out the results of the LA International Olive Oil Competition for info on some of the top-rated ones. Pacific Sun in Corning makes some brilliant EVOO. They have one of the best millers in the state in Pablo Voitzuk, and just make some great olive oil, not too expensive to order online from them. Other notable producers are Apollo Olive Oil, Yolo Press, Seka Hills, Bariani, and many others.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:46:11 PM by AltaCaliforniaPizza »

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 10:17:29 PM »
Between Trader Joe's Spanish and California olive oils, I'm quite happy.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Gosseni

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 04:57:56 PM »
Depends on what ingredient(s) are on the pizza.

pizzapan