Author Topic: Taylor's Pizza Making Thread.  (Read 1144 times)

Offline taylorpetrehn

Taylor's Pizza Making Thread.
« on: December 23, 2012, 01:21:33 AM »
Hey pizza lovers, I'm new to posting here on the forum. I've been on here for a while though; lingering and gaining so much knowledge and instruction from reading all of your posts and I finally was able to get some photos of the pizza that I've been making so here goes.

(Big thanks to TXCraig1 for your great threads! I've adopted a lot of your techniques as I've begun to learn the art of true Neapolitan pizza... although I've just barely seen the tip of the iceberg!)

I've been hand mixing my dough using 60% hydration, 3% salt and 1.3% Ischia starter. Dissolving the salt into the water, stirring in the starter, and adding 75% of the flour and kneading until incorporated( less than a minute) and then adding the remaining flour and kneading again(less than a minute). Resting the dough for 10 minutes, then doing a few stretch and folds. Rest for another ten minutes, more stretch and folds. And then repeating that process until the skin is smooth.

Then I'll bulk ferment for 24-28 hours at 65 F and then I'll ball it and go for another 24 hours at 65-70 F. And then a cook time of usually 60 seconds or so...

I've been using 00 flour from Restaurant Depot for most of my pies but the last batch I through in a little KA Bread Flour as an experiment... I wasn't pleased with the results. A little too chewy and not nearly as easy to digest.

My main hurdle that I've been trying to get around is my dough balls losing their structure and spreading too much. I've used plastic tupperwear and that works great... but I want to use a set up and work flow that could be reproduced in a restaurant setting.

(The small pie is my very first pie using Ischia starter. The later ones are several attempts down the road...)

Thanks and Goodnight!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 09:43:01 PM by taylorpetrehn »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Taylor's Pizza Making Thread.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 09:53:27 AM »
Hello Taylor,
Welcome! I had trouble posting also just Need to resize  a bit . I use Microsoft picture manager "resize" there are also programs that others use that do it for you.
Now tell us about that oven ? You built ? Looks very nice ! Also ,  are there future plans to incorporate an outdoor kithen up yonder ? Looks like a bit of s trek from the prep table ? Or are you going to build a house around that beauty  ;D That's what I did built my back yard around my oven!
Please keep posting pics and info the more the merrier!
Thanks Taylor!,
John
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 09:54:58 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline taylorpetrehn

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 09:36:04 PM »
Thanks John!
I think I figured out the size constraints and got the pictures up that I wanted! I'd like to figure out how to embed the images directly into my post instead of as attachments though... oh well!

But yeah, I built the oven in my moms yard over the summer as an attempt to really learn how to make good pizza. I've been a cook at a couple of the better pizza places here in KC but I was never quite satisfied with what I was making so building an oven and buying some starter culture seemed like the best thing to do!

Right now I've been using an old wooden spool as a prep table but the plan is to build a patio around the oven in the near future with a full prep station. I plan on setting up ten or so tables out there too and start hosting couples date nights and private events to help pay off the expense of the oven.

Now that I've started a thread, I'll be sure to post my progress!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 09:44:28 PM by taylorpetrehn »

Offline landras

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 09:05:58 AM »
Hi Taylor, very nice looking oven, keep posting. good luck with your project.
nico

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 09:57:08 AM »
Probably some of the best looking pizza I have seen out of 'The land of Oz'

Were the bottoms nuked?  You can get the edges a bit more even by cooking not as close to the fire, but turning about the same amount of time with a given side facing the fire.

>> P.S.  Your right, the last pictures look much better.  <<
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 10:09:53 AM »
The oven and pies both look great. Hope to see more.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline taylorpetrehn

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 11:04:49 AM »
Jet_deck - Thanks! The land of Oz is due for some good pizza :)

Nico and Craig, Thanks a lot. I'll definitely keep contributing!