Author Topic: Woodstone oven  (Read 2695 times)

Offline forzaroma

Woodstone oven
« on: December 23, 2012, 12:26:15 PM »
I have not posted in ages, but for good reasons as I have been working at a couple woodfired pizzerias to get my cooking down pat. I have been working with a Stefano Ferarra and more recently a woodstone oven which is wood with gas assist.

My question is while cooking pretty awesome for the most part at some points I get some pizzas that stick to the oven and burns badly. I know about hotspots and all that, but sometimes it happens even during busy hours.

Mike

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Woodstone oven
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 05:44:08 PM »
Excess flour?

John

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 05:51:02 PM »
No don't think so flour us minimal and I keep minimal in the peel.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 07:49:06 PM »
Sometimes I have gotten burned spots that I felt were caused by a wetter spot on the dough.  I can't explain how it was able to get off the peel.  But sometimes I end up with a large bubble of air under the dough, so I suspect that area isn't getting any flour from the peel and remains a bit wetter.  When it goes on the stone, then that bubble is released and the wet spot adheres much more tightly to the stone. 

I know, I'm reaching for straws here, but that's one theory ....

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 08:41:18 PM »
Hi Mike,

I professionally managed and trained staff to work with a Woodstone oven in a busy hotel bar.
The wood stone was over all a good oven but the floor was a nightmare and the staff hated to be to be scheduled to work with that oven. Comparatively they were fighting to work with the 2  FGM that were set-up outside, even during the colder days.

Anyhow, we had the same issue as you did, and the little trick we developed was to use foil under the pizza for the first couple of hour of the rush. As the floor lost some temp we stoped using the foil. If there was a down time or had to crank up the flame and the floor would regain temp, we would use the foil again.
I never figured out exactly what was going on except that it was heat related. When I talked to the rep his answer was "never heard of such issue". So it makes me feel much better that it happened to other people than me.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 08:48:16 PM »
My trick because using foil at busy times us not practical is a dusting if salt . The diugh doesn't stick and believe it it or not it doesn't affect the dough in terms I'd ssltinessz.

Offline taylorpetrehn

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 09:54:58 PM »
I used to use a woodstone oven and also had the same experience happen. I found that it would mostly happen if I left the flame on high for too long... Usually I would keep it at a medium flame until the last 10 seconds of a pizza and then crank the heat for a little extra browning.

I'm not sure if my theory is correct, but I think that there might be a heating element underneath the hearth that goes on periodically if it thinks that your ovens needs a little more heat on the floor. I could be totally wrong about that though...

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 06:41:55 AM »
Which side of the dough do you bake (top or bottom), and are you consistent with that side?

John

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 07:44:05 AM »
Ah John this is a question and topic I have spoke about with my fellow workers. I was taught at Pauliee Gee's top side is top and bottom is cooked on floor. I have tested this and the result is that when u cook top as the top the cornicione puffs up and the bubbles on the pizza are
More pronounced, which is a prettier pizza IMHO.

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 09:20:34 AM »
Yes and I'm consistent with which side I use.

Offline jwmadchef

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 02:23:45 AM »
I often get a pie that sticks on the oven floor. I normally find that my pizzas stick when my deck is 800 to 900 with very little flame. As a rule of thumb change spots on the deck. Even though your deck is super hot the ambient temperature of the even is lower. When in doubt throw more wood preferably kindling and/or wood chips. This will create that ambient temperature without raising the deck up too much. Resulting in a faster rise and less burning on the bottom. At this point you will have to start entering the 850 to 900 degree range which is not a bad thing. Some of my best pizzas come from that range.

As for the woodstone ovens. I just started doing some consulting for a pizzeria that has one. And they are hooked up to a hood system which sucks out the ambient temperature of the oven. We are considering using minimal logs and basically breaking/adjusting the thermostat so that we can reach hotter temperatures. I guess too much wood burning clogs the pilot.

If you guys figure anything else out about the sticking i would love a little more technique on the matter. I think a dusting of semolina might help.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 06:57:59 AM »
As for the woodstone ovens. I just started doing some consulting for a pizzeria that has one. And they are hooked up to a hood system which sucks out the ambient temperature of the oven. We are considering using minimal logs and basically breaking/adjusting the thermostat so that we can reach hotter temperatures. I guess too much wood burning clogs the pilot.

If you guys figure anything else out about the sticking i would love a little more technique on the matter. I think a dusting of semolina might help.
As a word of caution, I strongly suggest you do not touch the thermostat unless you have some type of certification with gas burning equipment. I am in the process of certified the FGM ovens with gas assist and gas burners so they obtain the UL listing. I can tell you the thermostat are pretty stupid stuff and if they don't send the right signal it is going to either shut off or keep burning.
I would strongly recommend if you do anything, get it inspected by a professional so if anything goes wrong, the insurance will still cover it.
I am sure the Woodstone rep can give you the name of authorized and licensed individual or business.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 08:19:02 AM »
Mike - It seems like you have everything in place so it may be the oven with hot spots. Although, you mentioned that you use minimal flour on the peel and the bench - my suggestion would be to eliminate all flour from the peel and the bench. The standard practice for NP pizza is dipping the dough in a mound of flour until dried out, then removing all flour during the shaping of the skin, with no flour on the bench at all. Then the peel needs to be seasoned enough for no flour at all during the placement. I have a wood peel, but I know that metal peels will also perform as needed in this regard. I don't know the hydration you are using, so that will obviously factor in when trying to remove all flour from the process.

Also, if there is flour on the bottom of a pizza, even a little, there will potentially be a black ring under the pie. Cooking directly on this black ring, if left without scrubbing off with a brass brush, will definitely start to burn the bottom of the next pie if it is placed directly on it.

John

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
We use a pretty high amount if hydration and picking up around 3-4 pizzas an order I need some flour or the pizza will stick to the table . I use a metal peel without the wholes. Maybe the one with the holes would allow me ti shake off the excess flour.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 06:25:49 PM »
Yes does help a bit What size would you like me to get youI am putting in an order this week for several people would be  glad to hook you up 13" head round or Sq? 47" or 59" handle Let me know ,   PM.C discount for sure !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 06:54:23 PM »
I appreciate the offer but I don't make the decisions at the pizzeria. I just make pizza and we work with 1 peel only. I know it's crazy lol.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 10:50:50 PM »
They should spring for the $60 bucks !
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan