Author Topic: yeast vs sourdough - microspotting difference?  (Read 874 times)

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
yeast vs sourdough - microspotting difference?
« on: December 23, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Hi all,  last night I experimented with half of my pizzas using a yeast-based dough, and the other half were sourdough based.

The evening was a bit of a blur with guests and it being my first time using a WFO, so I wasn't as methodical and didn't take as many photos as I might have liked.  Anyway...

I'm sure that I noticed at some point that the sourdough pizzas produced fine microspots, whereas the fresh yeast pizzas did not.  Can anyone else confirm this??

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: yeast vs sourdough - microspotting difference?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 11:03:03 PM »
I don't believe that is a yeast factor per say. A well timed/fermented dough that "works" properly can/will display those 'lil blisters even at only 500 degrees on a cracker crust(for example).
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 04:21:22 AM »
Ok thanks, interesting.  Yes the timing of the dough that turned out with microspots was a bit different, I think I hadn't left them as long after balling before baking.   I don't know if they're a good thing or not but will try to coax more of them out.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 10:00:37 AM »
The dough chemistry is very different between SD and commercial yeast. Notwithstanding, you can produce microspotting (or macrospotting) with either - there are plenty of pictures here to prove it. The choice of yeast is only one of many contributing factors.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan