Author Topic: very new to this  (Read 925 times)

Offline yorkdude

very new to this
« on: December 25, 2012, 08:16:32 AM »
Is there a good and simple dough recipe to aid in someone starting out?
We have a kitchen aid mixer and all ingredients although none of them are anything other than what you can buy at a grocery store, in other words no specialty flours, yeasts etc.
Sure hope someone can help.
 Yorkdude

Offline dwighttsharpe

Re: very new to this
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 10:43:26 AM »
What style pizza do you like(where do you buy your favorite pizza)?

What brand/type flour do you have on hand? I assume you are wanting to make something with what you have on hand? Otherwise, you can always go to the store to buy some of the commonly used flours mentioned here(King Arthur All Purpose or Bread Flour, Gold Medal Bread Flour, etc).

Do you have yeast on hand? Type?

What is your level of experience? Never hurts to browse around for a while, getting familiar with the terminology, different types of flours, yeasts, substitutions, alternative methods, etc.

That said, the "Pizza Recipes" Link on the home page, with clones of popular brands of pizza, was good for me when I wound up here looking to replicate Pizza Hut pizza: http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_recipes.html

Well, welcome and good luck.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 10:45:09 AM by dwighttsharpe »
Dwight

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 10:56:51 AM »
Very nice post Dwight....hope your Pizza Hut pizza clones are going well for you.  Merry Christmas!
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 11:12:06 AM »
Very nice post Dwight....hope your Pizza Hut pizza clones are going well for you.  Merry Christmas!
Bob

Thank you.

Yes. That was several years ago, but I was very satisfied, and my interest was piqued. I have moved on and now just about the only crusts I make are based on Reinhart's Neo-neapolitan and his Country dough.

Merry Christmas to you too.
Dwight

Offline yorkdude

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 04:45:31 PM »
Thanks for the response, we have Gold Medal "better for bread" flour and red star active dry yeast, quick rise and also two kinds of fleischmans one is pizza crust yeast and the other is active dry.
We like thin crust but also like slightly thicker with a little chew I guess you would say.
I have been as of late doing pizza on pellet grills after getting hooked on take and bakes to do that with and we wanted to create our own.
I grew up in the bay area and we used to go to round table and to me that is still one of the best pizza's around.
Nothing like that where we currently live in Kansas.
Thanks again and I will keep browsing unless someone has something handy that a beginner cant ruin too awful bad.
Yorkdude

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 05:16:51 PM »
Try a Lehmann NY thread or the Roundtable thread york.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"