Author Topic: BeaterBlade for KitchenAid mixer?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
BeaterBlade for KitchenAid mixer?
« on: December 04, 2012, 11:34:12 AM »
http://www.newmetrodesign.com/content/BeaterBlade.html

Any reason why this would be a bad idea for pizza making?  I used it last night to make a preferment (84.5% hydration) and the consistency after about 5 minutes of mixing was similar to whipped frosting.

Thoughts?
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: BeaterBlade for KitchenAid mixer?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 11:43:11 AM »
Nothing comes to mind. Yeast like oxygen. I don't think the mechanical action will hurt them - maybe? How well is it growing?

I wouldn't use it on your final dough however.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 12:11:42 PM »
Last night's dough was a bit of an anomaly.  I put the preferment into a warmed oven (90 degrees) for about 4 hours.  It looked fine, but when I mixed the rest of the recipe, the dough was very slack, as if the hydration was higher than 63%.  I did several stretch and folds and put the dough into the refrigerator.   Tomorrow will be my first opportunity to have a professional at a restaurant bake my dough in a WFO, so I want to bring something good.  Here's one of the dough balls after 12 hours. Does it look decent?  Should I do a reball tonight or tomorrow morning? 

Thanks,
Jonas
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 12:07:30 AM »
I have one of those blades.  Wouldn't use it for pizza dough or kneading, but it is wonderful for anything for which you would use a regular beater blade.  I've had it about 3 years now and haven't used the one that came with the KA in ages because the BeaterBlade is so much better.  Cleans the bowl and mixes better.  It's great for cookies, cakes, etc.