Author Topic: Does Varasano's 20 min rests during mixing apply to NY Style?  (Read 872 times)

Offline MrPibbs

Does Varasano's 20 min rests during mixing apply to NY Style?
« on: December 27, 2012, 12:08:14 AM »
I followed a number of searches trying to get this question answered, but could not.  I have been using a 2 stone box on my Weber Genesis grill which I can get temps of 575-650F even in winter.  Cooking time averages 5-7 mins.

I have been having pretty good results, and positive taste praise (including friends who live in NYC) using this formula with portion of water used to separately dilute salt, while about 100gm flour, IDY, sugar is mixing for 3-4 mins on low speed in Bosch Universal wire beaters.  Then I change to dough hook, and slowly add salt water, most of the remaining (sifted) flour & oil, and run for 8-10 mins until well mixed & smooth.  Then take out with oiled hands & put into oiled tupperware bowl, and into frig for 3-5 days.  It rises 2-3 times in volume, and has some larger bubbles on surface, and plenty of smaller ones visible through sides of dough.  Note this has oil & sugar, and no rest times during mixing.

For two 13-14" pizzas

475 gm Flour (All Trump Unbleached, Unbromated)
    300 gm (filtered) water (about 10.5oz)  Heat 70 sec in microwave.
    1 tsp IDY (SAF Red Instant Dry Yeast)
    2 tsp KA Bread Salt
    1 tsp Canola Oil
    1 tsp Sugar

When I stretch it out, it has a tendency to shrink back, but I can eventually get it close to the two 13-14" size with a lot of work.

Then I read Jeff Varasano's website at this link http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm which is more for Neopolitan Pizza using Poolish, no sugar/oil, two 20 min rest times during mixing, and 800F oven.  I tried my own version without a poolish, and was amazed how much more elastic it was making the skins because of the rest times.  Jeff has a long (but sensible) explanation on his site about how important the rests are.

For two 13-14" pizzas

475 gm Flour (All Trump Unbleached, Unbromated)
    300 gm (filtered) water (about 10.5oz)  Heat 50 sec in microwave.
    1 tsp IDY (SAF Red Instant Dry Yeast)
    2 tsp KA Bread Salt

So my question is whether you guys like to follow his mixing rest times?  I can't argue with what I noticed, but I'm still a Pizza noob.  I don't even know that I would be dedicated enough to use/maintain a poolish.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:43:20 PM by MrPibbs »

Offline Jdcigar

Re: Does Varasano's 20 min rests during mixing apply to NY Style?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 09:10:26 PM »
I have used varasanos method using different types of flours and making different styles and find it very useful in the development of the dough.  He even says on the website that he thinks the method is more important than flour type or proportions.