Author Topic: Cassano's Pizza  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Ohio Style Pizza

Cassano's Pizza
« on: December 04, 2012, 04:13:06 PM »
Having moved away from Ohio, the pizza is one of the foods that I miss the most...  Has anyone tried to replicate Cassano's?  I've seen a couple posts on this topic, but it doesn't look like anyone has attempted it yet and posted their results.

Thanks!

Offline IndyRob

Re: Cassano's Pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 05:22:45 PM »
I just made a half-hearted attempt at one today.  Not too bad, but it certainly had a few issues.
  Having just had my pizza stone replaced through the miracle of Christmas, I needed a test subject.  I just used my standard dough to try to make a Cassano's style pizza.  But this was more about playing with the stone than playing with a clone.

I used to work at a couple of Cassano's locations back in the '80's (and I think I have the dubious distinction of being the first delivery driver to total one of their brand new delivery cars), and I'm currently doing some work in Dayton with a Cassano's about a 1/2 mile from my hotel.

I think their dough has evolved more towards the cracker style of late.  And they seem to have doubled-down on the salt bottom thing.  This was something that always raised eyebrows, but now it seems even more like a salt lick (it's the sort of thing you either embrace or revile).

Back in the day, the dough was delivered pre-sheeted and frozen.  It went into a proofing room and then into the reach-in refrigerators under the prep table (in bagged stacks about 10-15 high separated by corrugated cardboard).  The dough came directly out of the fridge onto a salted plywood circle where it was dressed to order and slid  into a deck oven.  Nowadays, it appears that they use a conveyor oven and (perhaps) bake on screens.

I think pretty much any standard dough would be a good starting point.  Nothing too fussy (as the real thing is frozen and thawed).  Probably around a 60% hydration. 2% oil for the old style, and perhaps no oil for the newer cracker style(?).

They used to jealously guard their dough and used to insist that no unbaked dough ever leave the store.  They did have take-n-bake style pizza packs that bore no relation to the real thing (which they apparently still do).  But I note on their website that they're also providing dough to Pizza King type places.  So with enough deviousness (unless yours is actually a legitimate business interest), you could have their dough delivered to you.

Just one final note on a finer point...Toppings out to the edge.  Cut the slices in squares.  We don't want to see any discarded crust left in the box.  This is something I've taken to heart for my own signature pizza.  It really makes a lot of sense when you think about it.  Papa John's, for instance, will give you some garlic butter to dip your crusts into, but why didn't they just make the entire pizza edible to begin with?