Author Topic: cooking pie in a brick lined convection oven?  (Read 466 times)

Offline souspizzaiolo

cooking pie in a brick lined convection oven?
« on: December 28, 2012, 04:12:55 PM »
Hey y'all. Anyone ever try cooking pies in a commercial convection oven? I was thinking that even though they only get up to 550f, one could line a couple of racks with some brick/quarry tile/baking steel/whatever, and pretty gracefully cook a pie. I'm thinking of finishing montanara's in one cranked up as hot as i can get it, with a long preheat to get the brick really saturated with heat...any thoughts? Piece!

Online scott123

Re: cooking pie in a brick lined convection oven?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 04:27:25 PM »
Montanaras require a Neapolitan oven and it's Neapolitan temperatures- well north of 550F.  The commercial convection ovens that I've used had very strong fans, which would be a plus for NY style, but you'll need to confirm that 550F temp. Once you confirm that temp with an IR thermometer, then I think NY should be no problem.  There's a chance you'll only be able to do one pie at time, though.  Tying up an entire convection oven with a single pie every 4-5 minutes- probably not something you want to do. You might be able to do more than one at time, but it would all depend on the BTUs.

pizzapan