Author Topic: Should my dough rise in the refrigerator?  (Read 1802 times)

Offline daven74

Should my dough rise in the refrigerator?
« on: December 29, 2012, 02:47:52 PM »
Looking for some advice on cold-rising my dough. Using the recipe below (weighed the ingredients) I made the dough and let it sit as prescribed, for about 9 hours. It rose to almost double the size. I then cut it into four pieces and put each one in a container - it had a very smooth and nicely compliant texture. They have been in the refrigerator for over 12 hours now but have not risen at all; should they? I had planned to keep it refrigerated for a total of 3-4 days.

The flour was Antimo Caputo 00, the yeast a new package of Fleishman's Rapid Rise, and highly filtered water that I get from a local water store.

Thanks!
David

Basic Neapolitan Pizza Dough

Ingredients
   20 ounces (about 4 cups) bread flour, preferably Italian-style "OO"
   .4 ounces kosher salt (about 4 teaspoons)
   .3 ounces (about 2 teaspoons) instant yeast
   13 ounces water

Procedures
1.   Combine flour, salt, and yeast in a large bowl and whisk until homogenous. Add water and incorporate into flour using hands until no dry flour remains on bottom of bowl. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise at room temperature for 8 to 12 hours.

2.   Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and divide into four even balls. Place each in a covered quart-sized deli container or in a zipper-lock freezer bag. Place in refrigerator and allow to rise at least 2 more days, and up to 4. Remove from refrigerator, shape into balls, and allow to rest at room temperature for at least 2 hours before baking.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Should my dough rise in the refrigerator?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:54:16 PM »
They will rise, but it is retarded by being in the refrigerator. Your workflow is sound, but I would suggest using them without reforming the balls.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 03:04:48 PM »
daven74 , my dough rises a bit in the fridge, but no where near 2x. (what water temp are you using for the mix?) It does however ferment. I am interested in the fact that there is no apparent kneading of your dough, at least I don't read it described. Is that true, and if so how does your dough handle when it comes time to open your dough balls?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline daven74

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 03:37:28 PM »
Thanks very much for the replies! I got the recipe from slice.seriouseats.com, and the author writes that it kneading is not necessary given the recommended 3-5 day cold-rise. The recipe did not specify a water temperature, so I used room temperature of around 68 degrees. This is my first time trying this particular recipe. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »
The recipe above does mention mixing even though it is minimal. It's probably how pizza and bread were first made, some flour and water just allowed to sit in a pot for awhile because someone forgot about it and then decided to bake it. In the days of the high volume pizzeria the method has fallen out of practice.