Author Topic: Pizza cutter review on Slice  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Peasant

Pizza cutter review on Slice
« on: November 22, 2013, 12:38:26 AM »
In case members aren't Slicers; I thought I'd post this here.  Anyone try one of these and provide more input?
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/11/gadgets-pizza-wheel-sharpener.html?ref=title

I think rocker-like knives may be the way to go in a commercial setting if you have the space but a good sharpening tool might change my mind.

Cheers

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: Pizza cutter review on Slice
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 06:02:59 AM »
My pizza cutters gets dull real quick from cutting on pizza pans all day.   I use a fine grit sandpaper mounted to a wood block for sharpening.  I get a knife like edge to it.  Walter

Offline Zensojourner

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 11:41:39 AM »
I have tried to sharpen my pizza wheel. With little luck, I might add.

Then I bought a rocker knife.  I would toss the pizza wheel, but my son seems attached to it, even though we haven't used it once since I bought the rocker knife.

Years ago, (decades actually) when I worked in a pizza joint while I was in college, we use a huge knife to cut the pizza.  The owner kept that thing sharp.  I won't say razor sharp because I don't think the thin blade of a razor would be much good cutting hundreds of pizzas per day, but really sharp.  And even 5'2" no-upper-body-strength me could easily cut the pizza up in seconds with that thing.  It wasn't QUITE a rocker blade - in fact I have no idea what kind of knife it was, I've never seen the like before or since.  But it made short work of the task at hand.  It was big enough to go all the way across a 14" 'za - maybe even the 16" jumbo, but I'm not as sure of that.  Not a toy, at any rate.  I could have turned Crocodile Dundee's knife trick right back on him with that thing, LOL!

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 01:55:10 PM »
Hi Peasant, funny you should ask, I just tried one of those. My pizza slicer was very dull. I must have rolled it on that track for 15 min. I did not see any change. Maybe my slicer was too thick for it but it did not seem to do a thing.

What did work, is my small belt sander - I took a picture (sorry it is so bad, I was using one hand to show you how I did it). with a 600 grit belt in about 30 seconds it got the slicer like a razor - no kidding, really like a razor. I held it on the running sander like in the picture and used my other hand to control the rotation speed of the pizza slicer blade. The slicer blade will auto rotate as the sander belt moves. I just held it at the right angle and it worked great. It is scary sharp now!

You can get one of these at harbor freight - they go on sale every once in a while for pretty cheap, they work great for knives as well you just need to make sure you don't overheat the blade.

Offline Zensojourner

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 04:11:43 PM »
Norcoscia, if I tried that, I'd cut my thumb off!  And I NEED my thumbs - its all that keeps me ahead of the cats!

Offline pbspelly

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »
Not the best cutter, but still my favorite

Offline Everlast

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 01:01:49 PM »
I use the Chef'n with the sharpener built into the blade case. I just give it a few spins before the start of every pizza night and it stays sharp and cuts well. However, I did have to return my first one because one of the sharpening rods in the blade case was misaligned.

http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-FreshForce-Sharpening-Pizza-Wheel/dp/B004OXWP7K/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 01:32:39 PM »
I do like Norcoscia does, but I use a disk sander.  Same thing.  I can sharpen up the wheel in seconds.  I also have a large rocker type pizza cutter than came with a flat dull edge that would not cut.   I have sharpened it on the sander to a degree that I'm afraid of that dang thing.  :o

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 02:34:50 PM »
Chef's knife does a fine job on my pies. I keep it sharp for everything. :-D
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

pizzapan