Author Topic: Has anyone tracked down a manual dough sheeter for home use?  (Read 17918 times)

Offline Chaze215

Has anyone tracked down a manual dough sheeter for home use?
« on: December 29, 2012, 10:00:05 PM »
I have seen several posts regarding this topic and even a Jet making his own sheeter. I was wondering if anyone did in fact track one down that didnt break the bank. Who's going to pay 2-3K for one in the home???  :o This thing http://www.survivalunlimited.com/clothewringer.htm looks interesting, but unsure if it would work. Thanks in advance!

Chaz
Chaz

Offline Chaze215

Re: Has anyone tracked down a manual dough sheeter for home use?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 04:09:23 PM »
Thanks Bill. I think that might work. If I pull the trigger on it, I will report back. I always think twice about buying on Ebay when the item is in China.
Chaz

Offline jak123

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 09:16:15 AM »
i went through great lengths trying to get a sheeter....i looked/considered everything, even including the old fashioned laundry press where they would put wet clothes through the two rollers and wring out the water....

i settled on taking my manual pasta roller to a machine shop...and instructed them to make it 15" wide....it was a flop....that was when i realized that one must be able to sheet dough by hand....and thats when the fun began and the quality of pizza started to shine through....

dough sheeters are cheaters :) IMHO, at least for the style of pizza i make.

My advice would be to learn how to do it by hand, way more rewarding...
happy new year,
Joshua
Prop. PIEOUS,

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »
Thanks Bill. I think that might work. If I pull the trigger on it, I will report back. I always think twice about buying on Ebay when the item is in China.

Please do report back. I've been casting about for something inexpensive and effective for rolling croissant dough. I don't think this roller opens up thick enough for that. If you do get it, I'd be interested in knowing what the thickest setting is. Thanks.

Offline jak123

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:48:16 AM »
yes, for croissant dough, i can see using a sheeter...

i found this company in south africa, dealing with another piece of equipment and came across this manual machine....not sure how much it is, but it looks like a good piece of equipment.

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
jak123,

Awesome looking hand sheeter. I've e-mailed Pie Designs & Solutions on pricing of those rollers and will pass it along once I receive it. Their webpages sates a few times about home kitchens, so maybe reasonable pricing, but coming out of S. Africa may be a deal killer. We shall see  ;)
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline danidiomas

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 05:32:23 PM »
In my search I discovered that in Brazil they have lots of wide dough sheeters.

http://lista.mercadolivre.com.br/cozinha-maquinas-massas/cilindro

Does anyone here read Portugese?

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 06:11:15 PM »
I had a look at this sheeter and it looks pretty good.  It's about U.S. $45 plus shipping for a 45 CM model (17.7 inches)  That seems wide enough for me I think.  I've asked a Brazilian friend to have a look at the site to see if he thinks it is legitimate, etc. and what shipping to the US would cost.  Will report back when I know more. 

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »
I had a look at this sheeter and it looks pretty good.  It's about U.S. $45 plus shipping for a 45 CM model (17.7 inches)  That seems wide enough for me I think.  I've asked a Brazilian friend to have a look at the site to see if he thinks it is legitimate, etc. and what shipping to the US would cost.  Will report back when I know more. 

Let us know if the news is good!

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 07:10:51 PM »
My friend says it is a legitimate site. He's going to buy one for me and bring it to the U.S. on a trip he's making in March. So we shall see how it is in March.  Stay tuned. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »
FWIW, I got an email back from Pie Designs & Solutions and all the sent me is a spread sheet with pricing and best I can figure it says Qty 1 and Total Price is 11,970 VAT included.  If that price is South African Rands that comes to approx $1,375 which I can only guess the Qty 1 is a case, but it's not stated.

Edit: F.O.B. South Africa, of course
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:29:31 PM by ThatsAmore »
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 02:05:09 PM »
My Brazilian friend arrived in the U.S. and has shipped me the Brazilian dough roller pictured above.  I'm supposed to receive it this Friday. So I am going to make some cracker style dough to have ready for it when it arrives.  I will take some video of it so everyone can see how it works.  Anyone want to recommend a cracker style recipe to try out? 

Regards,

TinRoof 

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 02:19:07 PM »
Anyone want to recommend a cracker style recipe to try out? 

Regards,

TinRoof 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizzainnstyle.php
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 04:25:36 PM »
OK Jet, I will give that one a try.

Thanks!

Regards,

TinRoof 

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 05:14:40 PM »
Not to pester too much... but.... inquiring minds want to know!   :D

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 05:47:37 PM »
I'm intrigued too!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »
I'm intrigued too!
Yours turned out real nice back in '05 Steve. Sadly, my local Pizza Inn sure ain't what it used to be...they focus too much on the mass produced buffet pizza now.  :(

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,779.0.html
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:59:44 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 07:33:20 PM »
Not to pester too much... but.... inquiring minds want to know!   :D

Sorry for not reporting back sooner.  My Brazilian friend brought me the manual dough sheeter about two weeks ago. I have used it twice so far.  The reason I did not post anything yet is that I planned to post a video along with my report but I haven't been able to produce the video yet. I am planning to make another batch of think crust pizzas tonight so hopefully I can shoot some video and post that this evening. 

The design of the machine is very basic. It consists of two cylinders (each about 15" long) mounted on a plastic housing, which in turn is mounted on a wooden base. The machine comes with a couple of clamps that are to be used to secure the base to a table. The bullnose on my kitchen counter is too thick for the clamps so I had to clamp it to a wooden cutting board, which is not an ideal base. I am going to try to find some bigger clamps to solve this problem.  But it works OK attached to the cutting board. Some slip-sliding away but manageable.  There are two tension screws on top that you screw up or down to move the top cylinder closer to the bottom cylinder.  It cranks down to maybe about 1/16" or so at its tightest.  It does turn out a pretty thin crust when you get down to the finest setting. 

The machine does have some issues. It has these quite large gears that tend to jam a bit when you adjust the rollers to be very close together. But I noticed that the problem began to subside the second time I used it so maybe with more use the problem will go away all together.  But it is an issue.  The handle also falls off all the time so I will get a clamp of some kind to hold it in place during use. 

Overall, I think this machine is a very good value, especially when you price out electric-powered dough sheeters, which all seem to be well over $1,000, even used. (This manual dough sheeter about $45 U.S. excluding shipping.)

Forty-five dollars doesn't buy you a professional grade machine. It's a bit rickety. But it does work. You can crank out a decent thin crust pizza in about 3 minutes or so. And if you want to laminate the crust that's pretty easy too.  (I know from experience that rolling out a crust that you have folder over 4 times is a LOT of work, which it isn't so much with this machine.) And using the machine is not difficult, although it takes a bit of practice to learn how to use it. It probably would help to have an assistant to crank the machine or guide the dough. Doing both jobs by yourself takes some practice.  By the second time I used it I was doing OK. If you don't pay close attention you can find the dough wrapping around the lower roller and coming through a second time. But with a bit of practice it's easy enough to use.   

For thin crust fans who you can get hold of one, I think it's a good appliance to have. It violates Alton Brown's "no single use appliances" rule, but what the heck, we have lots of single use appliances in our kitchen (like the espresso machine!) It probably would be OK for making pasta as well, so there's a dual use for it. 

I will do my best to post at least some video tonight. I do have some recorded already but I wasn't too happy with the quality so I'm going to try again tonight to see if I can do something better.  Don't expect anything of extremecooking quality but you'll get the idea. You do kind of have to see it in action to know whether you would want one. 

As far as how to obtain one, my friend told me that the vendors on the site I bought it on would not ship outside of Brazil. I did also post a question to the vendor and he said they did not ship outside of Brazil. But this machine is made by a Brazilian manufacturer (I forget the name but will post later) so I imagine they probably have a foreign distributor. Maybe I can ask my friend if he can find out how to buy one for export and see what he says.  Here's a link to sheeter:

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-460715258-cilindro-para-massa-mega-doro-45-cm-malta-pizza-mes-pasteis-_JM

Regards,

TinRoof