Author Topic: Has anyone tracked down a manual dough sheeter for home use?  (Read 18995 times)

Online SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
Re: Has anyone tracked down a manual dough sheeter for home use?
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 07:55:59 PM »
How sturdy is the plastic housing?

It sounds good so far, at least for the price.  $45 when the next option is $1000?  I'll deal with a little but of finickyness....

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 08:16:15 PM »
This one looks waaay more promising .

I checked back with member ThatsAmore yesterday and he said he couldn't get a response from the company. Anyone have an idea how to contact?
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 11:41:15 PM »
I would say medium sturdy. It seems adequate. We shot some video and my daughter is editing it as I  write. Hopefully she will be ready to upload a sample soon so you can see how it works.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 12:28:11 AM »
This one looks waaay more promising .

I checked back with member ThatsAmore yesterday and he said he couldn't get a response from the company. Anyone have an idea how to contact?
Bob

That does look like a much better design than my machine. Lots easier to use. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 09:12:55 AM »
I asked my daughter to shoot some video of the  manual dough sheeter, which she did. Then she put her editing skills to work and made a video about the pizza I made with it. 

Regards,

TinRoof
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 06:14:29 PM by Steve »

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 09:36:19 AM »
This one looks waaay more promising... I checked back with member ThatsAmore yesterday and he said he couldn't get a response from the company. Anyone have an idea how to contact? Bob

I sent an email to the company in South Africa that makes that manual dough sheeter, and got the price quote back today: $1,267.35 U.S. Dollars. So although it's a better machine, I probably won't be ordering one. 

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:00:19 PM by tinroofrusted »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 10:11:33 AM »
What ever happened to the old fashion rolling pin? Pie pin? Hand tossing? Table stretching?
My favorite when making pizza at home is to use a pin to open the dough up to about 2/3 of the finished diameter (pretty easy to do) then table stretch or hand toss to final size. Note: I have gravitated to table stretching at home due to the fact that hand tossing creates a bit of a mess with getting flour all over the place. Table stretching is a lot less messy when you're making pizza at a friends home too.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 11:12:57 AM »
@doughDoc: I just found rolling out these very dry doughs to be a big pain. So I guess I'm a bit lazy. I'll try the hand stretching some time though. 

I'm posting a photo from the box of the hand cranked dough sheeter that gives info on the manufacturer in Brazil. It's a company called Malta Industria de Utilidades Domesticas Ltda. 
The website is: www.malta.ind.br
Email is malta@malta.ind.br
They are located in Rio Grande Do Sul, which is all the way to the south in Brazil.

I did send them an email to see if they have a U.S. distributor (probably not) or if they would ship internationally. No reply so far. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 03:15:03 PM »
I sent an email to the company in South Africa that makes that manual dough sheeter, and got the price quote back today: $1,267.35 U.S. Dollars. So although it's a better machine, I probably won't be ordering one. 

$1,267.35 U.S. Dollars!!  I guess they really don't want to sell any of those....sheesh!  ::)

Thanks for all your work on this one Tinroof, hope you hear back from them. I think yours will be great once you find a way to stabilize it.

Bob

Online SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 04:38:31 PM »
What ever happened to the old fashion rolling pin? Pie pin? Hand tossing? Table stretching?
My favorite when making pizza at home is to use a pin to open the dough up to about 2/3 of the finished diameter (pretty easy to do) then table stretch or hand toss to final size. Note: I have gravitated to table stretching at home due to the fact that hand tossing creates a bit of a mess with getting flour all over the place. Table stretching is a lot less messy when you're making pizza at a friends home too.

My last several attempts have been rolled out by hand.  Like Tinroof mentioned, it is a lot of work, especially with the dryer dough, and I personally seem to have a problem keeping an even pressure on the pin, resulting in a lopsided thickness.  If there's an easier way to do it for a reasonable amount of money, color my curiosity piqued!   :D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 05:14:50 PM »
Dough sheeters are cool.... 8)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 05:49:38 PM »
Here's one just for BOB

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-A-SEEWER-RONDO-SYN503-T-Reversible-Sheeter-Works-Good-no-belts-/281077556388?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41718724a4#ht_7046wt_958

Finders Fee? :-D
Why thank you Roos Man...you must have seen this.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21737.0.html

I just offered that guy on your link 2 fiddy an he rejected me man!  ???   Guess that beats another "ignore".... ::)

Offline pete zappie

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 06:16:09 PM »
rusty, great video and effort your pizza looks great!!  I too have been looking foreword to the conclusion to this story and it looks like it was totally worth it , I agree hard to get that uniform thickness throughout. nice music and filming by your daughter, thanks again to both of you !!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2013, 10:22:44 AM »
I asked my daughter to shoot some video of the  manual dough sheeter, which she did. Then she put her editing skills to work and made a video about the pizza I made with it. 

Regards,

TinRoof

That's an awesome video, TinRoof. Can I marry your daughter? ;D Also, how'd you like to sell me that thing if you ever move on to something better? It takes so much work for me to roll my Tommy's style (and Shakey's style) laminated skins, especially when I make two or three of them for parties. It takes more than 30 minutes of sweaty work to roll, trim, and scale each 15" 8-layer skin. (It usually takes a few trim-and-scales, and it's very hard to keep the skin from shrinking several inches after I trim it and unpeel it from my mostly-unfloured work surface.) Man I wish I had even the simplest manual sheeter for that.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »
That's an awesome video, TinRoof. Can I marry your daughter? ;D Also, how'd you like to sell me that thing if you ever move on to something better? It takes so much work for me to roll my Tommy's style (and Shakey's style) laminated skins, especially when I make two or three of them for parties. It takes more than 30 minutes of sweaty work to roll, trim, and scale each 15" 8-layer skin. (It usually takes a few trim-and-scales, and it's very hard to keep the skin from shrinking several inches after I trim it and unpeel it from my mostly-unfloured work surface.) Man I wish I had even the simplest manual sheeter for that.

In answer to both questions, maybe in a few years.   ;).  In the meantime someone should import 100 of these things and sell them on ebay. I think they would sell pretty well.  I will pass along your compliments and offer of marriage to my daughter!

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/metal-slip-roll

Sheetmetal slip rolls are 3 roller machines that are intended to put a curve in sheetmetal.  The 3rd roller can be adjusted out of the way or usually simply removed entirely.  These machines have thickness adjustments.  You have to verify each make/model as to the range of thickness adjustment  (not to be confused with the gauge thickness limitation).

This one   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Slip-roll-sheet-metal-rolling-bending-WOODWARD-FAB-SFSR24-/231052639352#ht_900wt_1057   Should be able to open enough to do dough thicknesses we deal with and wide enough for any pie.  $389 isn't too bad.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:52:39 PM by bbqchuck »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2013, 04:03:52 PM »
I have several of what are probably the least expensive dough rollers/sheeters ever made. The more expensive one have handles to hold onto that connects to a central axle around which a wood or metal barrel rotates. This one is called a "rolling pin" the other is nothing more than a 2" diameter piece of round hardwood 14" long. This one is commonly referred to as a pie pin. Both work great on pizza dough, croissant dough, sweet dough, donut dough, biscuit and yes, even "pie" dough. :)

pizzapan