Author Topic: Heating an oven in cold outdoor temps  (Read 383 times)

Offline peteH

• I Love Pizza!
Heating an oven in cold outdoor temps
« on: January 04, 2014, 08:35:45 AM »
Is there a simple estimate of the increased heating time of an oven in cold outdoor temps?  This weekend, our New England temps dropped well below freezing.  Obviously all my oven bricks are ambient temp as well.  Is there any calculation that says something like " heat your oven an additional x % for every 10 degree drop in outdoor temps"?  Perhaps this has been discussed in previous winters, sorry for the repeat.

Online stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
Re: Heating an oven in cold outdoor temps
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 09:27:33 AM »
There is no way to make a reliable calculator for something like that, too many variables.   

The colder the outside temps, then the lower and slower you should heat up the oven.....it's that simple.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
Jacob August Riis

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:09:36 PM »
I was thinking about that recently. I mean, why would a difference of 50 degrees, let's say, between 10 degrees and 60, make that much difference when you're heating your oven to almost 1000?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »
I was thinking about that recently. I mean, why would a difference of 50 degrees, let's say, between 10 degrees and 60, make that much difference when you're heating your oven to almost 1000?
Well, probably not much since most of them have good insulation.

Huge difference on regular old gas grill. I just now was grilling a chicken breast for G/F lunch tomorrow, normally flipped after 4-5min. ...I spaced out and went out there after 20min. time passed and it was just right. It's 20 degrees outside right now...last week when it was 70 out that bird would have been toast.

From 70-20 in one week...what is going on with the weather man  ???
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 09:35:04 PM »

Technically, there is one reason.  If your masonry has moisture in it,  it will be frozen..and that leads to greater thermal stress.  But the bigger problem with that is this - why does your masonry have that much moisture in it. 

Also, it's not fun making WFO pizza outside in 10 degree weather.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
Jacob August Riis