Author Topic: Oven size  (Read 504 times)

Offline GeorgeL

• I Love Pizza!
Oven size
« on: January 05, 2014, 10:30:56 AM »
I am a new poster but have read most of this forum. I have been making pizza for years and have tried everything short of a WFO but can't get the pie I want.  So I have embarked on my building adventure.

Space is no issue.  I looked at the plans for the FB Pompeii bit I think the dome is to high.  I would like a decent size opening and want to stick with or close to the neopolitan ove dimensions. So I think I am going to use the dimensions for the stefano Ferrara opted here. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26441.0.html

I have read the horror stories of big ovens taking so long to heat but I can't see that there will be that much difference with this low dome 47 than with a 40 or 42. I'd like a 9 to 10 inch opening and it seems I need to go to 47 in order to get it. 16 inch high. 20 inch wide door and 9 inch high door.  Would the work at 42?  How much longer will the 47 take to heat? 

Thanks for the comments.

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
Re: Oven size
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 12:40:26 PM »
It's not so much the diameter as it is the thermal mass. 5" difference in diameter won't matter if your 42" has a thick dome with a heavy layer of cladding. The question of how large do you go, is subjective to personal preference.

There are a number of people that successfully use small diameter to make Neapolitan pizza....Omid for example, has a 25".   It comes down to how you want to manage the oven...it is more difficult to manage pizza making, the closer your pies are the heat source.

Also, having built and used an oven based on the Pompeii plans, I can assure you, it is a more than capable oven design for pizza....and, the hemispherical shape is more novice friendly to build than a traditional styled Neapolitan oven.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
Jacob August Riis

Offline GeorgeL

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 04:58:14 PM »
Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I agree that the extra few inches wont matter much and the extra room can't hurt either.

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:57:19 PM »
Insulate well, what ever size you build...under your floor and over your dome.  There is no downside, and you cannot over insulate an oven.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
Jacob August Riis

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 10:44:52 PM »
It is a direct formula:  Mass*heat input/insulation.

Cooking space is a consideration, but really only if you are interested in production.  For a typical homeowner cooking 3 or 4 pizzas per session, with occasional pizza parties, 2-3 inches of mass is more than adequate.  If you build a smaller oven (32-36") at a mass of 2-3", you can fire for 4 pizzas in an hour or so, and with 3-4 hours of firing and a good continuing fire, you can cook pizzas all night long.

Just insulate the crap out of it no matter how you build it.

Offline GeorgeL

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 02:35:56 PM »
I will insulate the crud out of it. I found a local industrial supplier for blanket insulation but am still looking for some ceramic fiberboard for the floor. I think I can get that out of Houston. 

My floor will be 3 inches of mass using W-G firebrick. I'm still looking for some medium duty brick for the dome. I want this done right first time so appreciate comments.

I've poured the foundation and have block wall in place.  No turning back now.

Thanks

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 11:29:48 AM »
The W-G light-duty bricks work great for the dome, too. The lower density gives them better resistance to thermal cycling; medium duty bricks are engineered for chemical resistance and temperatures far in excess of what a WFO will subject them to (and they are harder to cut).

pizzapan