Author Topic: Finally a Swedish neapolitan WFO underway  (Read 34087 times)

Offline fagilia

Re: Finally a Swedish neapolitan WFO underway
« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2013, 02:45:21 PM »
Progress.
If i could just get my fluepipe but soon soon...

Offline fagilia

« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2013, 02:52:06 PM »
I have a question about curing the oven.
I have run it for 3 days att appr. 300 degree f. Is it enough since the mortar has been there for 3 months already in the dome and should be completely dry by now or is curing also important for setteling the dome of some sort?
Could not find anything about that forno bravo either..
I want to make pizza this weekend :pizza:

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2013, 02:53:31 PM »
Building looked easy from pictures but as a beginner i have struggled alot.. especially with planning and thinking. But also i have learned so much so it has been worth it.

Your posts have astounded me from the outset. If you are truly a "beginner" than I am even more impressed. I would love to have a true Neapolitan oven someday. And to be able to say that I built it, and that it performed as well as I could have hoped for would be truly amazing. I wish you the best of luck when you start using the beautiful oven that you have made.

The journey that you have documented here has inspired me immensely!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2013, 02:59:49 PM »
I have a question about curing the oven.
I have run it for 3 days att appr. 300 degree f. Is it enough since the mortar has been there for 3 months already in the dome and should be completely dry by now or is curing also important for setteling the dome of some sort?
Could not find anything about that forno bravo either..
I want to make pizza this weekend :pizza:

She looks absolutely beautiful.

You can see the Acunto curing instructions at the end of the document found here: http://www.casimages.com/f.php?f=130712084333252018.pdf
Pizza is not bread.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #204 on: August 08, 2013, 05:16:24 AM »
She looks absolutely beautiful.

You can see the Acunto curing instructions at the end of the document found here: http://www.casimages.com/f.php?f=130712084333252018.pdf

Ok thanks Craig ill follow that and then its game on. I have already been working for free in a pizzeria at nights so i hope that i will be able to produce at least something eatable soon.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #205 on: August 08, 2013, 05:25:57 AM »
Your posts have astounded me from the outset. If you are truly a "beginner" than I am even more impressed. I would love to have a true Neapolitan oven someday. And to be able to say that I built it, and that it performed as well as I could have hoped for would be truly amazing. I wish you the best of luck when you start using the beautiful oven that you have made.

The journey that you have documented here has inspired me immensely!

John K

Well i Think iam quite handy and i have good friends helping me when needed. But foremost i have free access to all the Tools i need since my Company is collaborating with many small businesses in my Town. Other than that iam truely a beginner. I have learned everything from welding, shaping steel to mortaring in this Project.
But what you need as a beginner is time. If you let it take time it will be ok.
For example i did follow the forno bravo recomendations on firebrick and i did not take my time to read about the floor here in pizzamaking and ended up with a floor that has a conductivity number of 1,5. You cant find lower numbers in Sweden unfortunately but i did find some bricks in Poland or maby ill just by some biscotti Sorrento and cut them really thin and add a layer on top of my floor. Who knows :)
Only thing i know is that i will find a solution if it causes a problem. To bad i placed the Soldiers on the floor haha. Otherwise i would have ripped it out and replaced it with biscotti.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #206 on: August 08, 2013, 09:54:39 AM »
Just amazing!  are you going to put some kind of roof over the oven? 
can't wait for you to start making pizzas.
bill

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #207 on: August 08, 2013, 10:27:20 AM »
Well i Think iam quite handy and i have good friends helping me when needed. But foremost i have free access to all the Tools i need since my Company is collaborating with many small businesses in my Town. Other than that iam truely a beginner. I have learned everything from welding, shaping steel to mortaring in this Project.
But what you need as a beginner is time. If you let it take time it will be ok.
For example i did follow the forno bravo recomendations on firebrick and i did not take my time to read about the floor here in pizzamaking and ended up with a floor that has a conductivity number of 1,5. You cant find lower numbers in Sweden unfortunately but i did find some bricks in Poland or maby ill just by some biscotti Sorrento and cut them really thin and add a layer on top of my floor. Who knows :)
Only thing i know is that i will find a solution if it causes a problem. To bad i placed the Soldiers on the floor haha. Otherwise i would have ripped it out and replaced it with biscotti.

Well I DOUBT very much that you will have a problem with conductivity. That oven could probably make great pizza whether the floor was made of solid bricks of frozen dilithium crystal, or semi-molten slabs of copper. Since what you are using may be more readily available to non-commercial (aka "amateur") builders, it will be very helpful to see how your 1.5 W/m-K bricks perform in the setting of a true Neapolitan oven.

Good luck!

John K

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #208 on: August 08, 2013, 11:07:50 AM »
Forno Bravo calls for medium duty, I recommend the low duty, and the Whitacre Greer brick are good quality.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #209 on: August 08, 2013, 11:34:12 AM »
Forno Bravo calls for medium duty, I recommend the low duty, and the Whitacre Greer brick are good quality.

Oops, sorry for not crediting Tom with the valuable info in the pic I posted above! I have not yet figured out how to "meta-quote" across the forum...

John K
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:43:39 AM by Serpentelli »

Offline fagilia

« Reply #210 on: August 16, 2013, 01:58:45 PM »
Finally i did put an temporary ventpipe on the oven to get a better draw.
I got the oven up to 400 degrees C on sides and 400 C degrees on floor appr. The dome was probably 900-1100 degrees F depending on how much flame there was.
I also made a dough from salt 3%, water and flour until it felt good, and pretty wet and a small piece of fresh yeast.
Kept in room temp over night and the balled it and kept it balled appr 6 hours Before bake.
Caputo flour that was expired :)
to make the pizza was much easier than expected. Tried to do what i saw in Naples.
Pizzas where the flames were large did not need to be domed more than 5 sec. And baking time around 1min 20 sec.
If the flame was smaller i needed to dome more. Like you see in the youtube video further down.
The oven was not hot enough and the dough was not good enough but it tasted like say  pretty bad pizza in Naples so it was defenitely ok for the first time.
Here is the first pizza ever from the oven. Leapording was not that good..

Offline fagilia

« Reply #211 on: August 16, 2013, 02:03:50 PM »
Heres a video of the last pizza. temperature was lower in dome but still hot on floor. As expected i Think in my oven i will have to dome the pizzas a bit almost Always. But it was way easier than i thought. I also Think i need bigger flames to get balance more right but we will see what happens further down the road..
Just have to learn how to turn the pizzas more effecteviely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA2JFdhcHoY&feature=youtu.be

Offline fagilia

« Reply #212 on: August 16, 2013, 02:05:13 PM »
This pizza was clocked at appr 1min 40 ec and iam looking forward to get the fast ones since everybody talks about it..

scott123

« Reply #213 on: August 16, 2013, 02:19:16 PM »
Fagilia, for your first pizza from this oven, that looks great.

Regarding the temperatures you're seeing- are you absolutely certain that the entire oven is bone dry? How long are you pre-heating for?

From watching the video, I think you could work with a bigger fire and I think you could bake an inch or two closer to the fire.   That should give you the leoparding you're looking for.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 02:24:32 PM by scott123 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #214 on: August 16, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »
If you go back and look at the first pies I baked in the Acunto, they were very similar in appearance.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #215 on: August 16, 2013, 02:41:33 PM »
No true. The oven is not completely dry. It does not clear easily even though temperature is high but i did read that this will sort itselt. The mortar in the dome has been there for months so i would think its moist from vermiculite mix. But we will see what happens in next firings.
Should i still take it easy with temperature even though iam positive the dome mortar is dry?
I think with oven management i will be fine like tom points out..

Offline fagilia

« Reply #216 on: August 16, 2013, 02:57:18 PM »
No i have made pizzas before offcourse just not in a wfo.
Thanks craig. True very similar indeed..

Offline fagilia

« Reply #217 on: August 16, 2013, 03:00:51 PM »
I actually dont recal how long i preheated it. I was in a hypnotic state by the flames. Truely the flames are interesting...
Later on when i calm down about the hole thing i will have a more sientific approach..

scott123

« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2013, 03:55:18 PM »
Should i still take it easy with temperature even though iam positive the dome mortar is dry?

When water is converted into steam it expands 1700 times in volume.  This process can be quite damaging to an oven that's heated to high temps without being properly cured.

You're going to find different opinions on this, but I feel pretty strongly that you can't dry out an oven too slowly, while you can definitely dry it out too quickly.

Maybe I'm being too paranoid, but I'd be worried about water migrating from the vermicrete back into the dome.  Since you've already taken the oven to 1100, it's probably alright, but a few more curing fires wouldn't hurt. You need to cure the oven and let it cool uncovered, though, so the weather has to be accommodating. A tent can work well for curing as long as it's tall enough and you don't crank the oven too high.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2013, 04:07:34 PM »
Ok thanks scott.
Better to do it the safe way.
But what would be signs of an oven that has not been cured enough. What damagaes can be seen?
I know i can find the ansere at Fb forum, just being lazy here... getting spoiled by replies here  8)

pizzapan