Author Topic: Finally a Swedish neapolitan WFO underway  (Read 33081 times)

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Finally a Swedish neapolitan WFO underway
« Reply #220 on: August 16, 2013, 06:34:23 PM »
Good work!

Get a longer handle on that turning peel otherwise you'll end up with the hairs on your arms all scorched off.. :-D

scott123

« Reply #221 on: August 17, 2013, 01:24:07 AM »
But what would be signs of an oven that has not been cured enough. What damagaes can be seen?

Cracks- either on the interior, the exterior, or both.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #222 on: August 17, 2013, 02:21:04 AM »
Ok thanks i dont want it to crack offcourse.
Haha there are no hair to burn anymore.. i dont even have a tool to put logs in with.
Is just that i get crazy and stupid wanting to try it out.. i saw the tools from naples and i will build similar.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #223 on: August 22, 2013, 02:54:25 AM »
Loking for some problem solving.
I have been firing the oven for pizzabaking several times now.
To make a pizza in 90-110sek no problem. I have the time to turn and dome when bottom is done. By this stage the oven floor is about 740 F and walls higher and dome even higher. Problem is this is to low at least for me to get the neapolitan taste and correct charring.

When cranking the oven up to a floor with 880F and dome 1200 F the bottom burns fast. I have to lift it up after about 15-20sec and the whole pizza is done in 35-40sec. It is all done in such short time since i need massive flames to Cook and compensate for the high conductive floor. This gets med the best results so far but its not optimal handling procedure. I need to put to much Wood on just Before coocking a pie and thats not how it was done in Naples. Their flames were not all that big there. I can do it but its not optimal and i want an optimal oven..

My first solution to try is this board. I will cut it into pieces and lay over the floor to get conductivity down. I would like to know opinions about this method. Is it even Worth a try? The board is normally used in bakeries baking bread. In the text it sais that its for 350 C temperature but there are the same boards for higher temperature.

I would be grateful for some opinions.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #224 on: August 22, 2013, 02:57:30 AM »
The borad is really togh and hard and feels almost like stone hard ceramics.

Offline Mielec

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #225 on: August 22, 2013, 04:47:02 AM »
you also have to bake allot of pizzas before u get to know what u are doing.  i built my oven 1 year ago for my restaurant and it took me about 6 months before i got to know what was really going on.

Offline Mielec

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #226 on: August 22, 2013, 04:49:57 AM »
great work by the way

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #227 on: August 22, 2013, 09:56:14 AM »
 ^^^  don't give up on your floor just yet.  there's a lot of room to experiment between 740 and 880.  many other variables will affect this issue also, primarily your dough.  I've worked through the bottom burning issue on 3 different ovens and feel sure that you will figure it out too.  Your oven is beautiful, I wouldn't mess it up with that board. 
best luck!
bill

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #228 on: August 22, 2013, 10:25:52 AM »
How long are you pre-heating? I don't understand why you need a big fire? I understand the issue with the overly conductive floor, but once you're off the floor, you're off the floor. How hot are the walls farthest from the fire when the deck is between 800F and 850F? For a 60 second pie, I think you will be forced to bake the last 40-45 seconds in the air, but I think you can get there with the right fire management.

How would you thermally bond the board to the existing floor? If you get an air-gap between the two, you might end up at the other extreme where you don't have enough heat below to balance the heat above.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #229 on: August 23, 2013, 03:18:19 AM »
Ok thanks guys. No I will defenitely not give up ever...
Just that it feels the floor really should be not a Little bit less conductive but a lot and i mean a lot  :D
About the big flames. I have been trying not to keep a lower temperature on the floor and then just Before baking i get a big fire going so I can get the heat from the flames to Cook the pizza to be ready at the same time as the bottom. Since the floor temp wont rise that fast. Pretty good results but far from perfect so far..
 But I will just try to Cook 2 pizzas at the same time one on the board and one on the floor. I will figure out a way to get the board to stay Close to myfloor.
By the way I made wild yeast out of figs the other week will be cool to try it out some kind of levain variation..
To be continued!!

Offline fagilia

« Reply #230 on: August 23, 2013, 03:20:26 AM »
Yes and the oven is fired every single day..
It gets down to appr 300C during the night.
This is my pizza vacation.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #231 on: August 23, 2013, 08:02:54 AM »
Did you use high or medium duty firebrick?  Low duty should not be a problem conductivity-wise.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #232 on: August 23, 2013, 03:21:08 PM »
Yes problem in sweden is that they do not sell low medium duty briks. Only cunductivity levels from lambda 1.5 and up. This was also a field i did not do research of before the build. There is only one manufacturer.
Well i have a piece of a board and i will now make a comperative study as soon as i can. Hopefully with good results.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #233 on: August 23, 2013, 06:28:53 PM »
I don't think your board is going to handle oven temperatures.  From reading it is a cal sil product, and they do make other cal sol products with higher temperature ratings and lower compressive strength.  It mentions a binder on their site, and I would assume the binder used to make this stronger also has a lower temperature ceiling.  If that isn't an issue the conductivity is good and cal sil is considered food safe and is even approved as a food additive here in the US. 
-Jeff

Offline fagilia

« Reply #234 on: August 24, 2013, 02:44:34 AM »
Yes i did find another one with heavy weight and really tough surface that could hold heat of 1000 degree C. Thats the one i will try.
Haha yes the salesman was so exited about his board he told me i could eat the board if i wanted to since many people take those minerals anyway  ;D

Offline fagilia

« Reply #235 on: August 24, 2013, 04:08:43 AM »
This would be the board i have to try out. Its a Little bit less hard but hard enough for sure.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #236 on: August 24, 2013, 04:09:12 AM »
I have the duratec 750

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #237 on: August 24, 2013, 10:05:38 AM »
I was just about to ask if you got the 750 or 1000 when I saw this.  The numbers look great, very curious to see how it performs.
-Jeff

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #238 on: August 24, 2013, 10:31:41 AM »
How thick is it? How will you prevent an air gap between the Duratec and the firebrick floor? I believe you want something with a thermal conductivity at least as high as the floor between them.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #239 on: August 24, 2013, 12:40:20 PM »
I was thinking of using a 8mm board.my floor is really level so i was just plan to use a really thin layer of firebrik dust. If it does not work i could just vacum clean it. Not same as the bricks but probably more than the board? Isnt higher to medium to low ok?
Any suggestions.

pizzapan