Author Topic: Finally a Swedish neapolitan WFO underway  (Read 34178 times)

Offline fagilia

Finally a Swedish neapolitan WFO underway
« on: December 30, 2012, 01:14:35 PM »
Finally my neapolitan WFO is underway after a long time of finding the right materials and information. Its been a bit hard to find same materials that people on US forums are using but now i am set i think. I have already got many good advice from people here and i am thankful.

Stand is made out of corten steel so hope it will have nice rusty look when mosaic is finished.

Insulation floor is 12 inch vermicrete 6:1 and 8:1. Insulation around soldiers only 6 inch since i made incorrect drawings, ops...

Floor lay on bed of dry sand fireclay mix. Hope it will not be a problem when moving the oven. Any thoughts?

Inside dia floor is 48 inch. Soldiers stand on floor. Inside hight of soldiers is 9,5 inch. Hight of dome have not exactly decided yet, but it should be low.

Floorbricks have maximum space between 1/12inch, and max 1/24inch vertical difference. Would this be a problem or will ash fill the space. Maby i will grind the vertical down if pizzapeel gets stuck. My bricks wrere not perfect. Any thoughts on this? Its some concern of mine right now..

I will try and do a nepolitan vent even though i have read all pros and cons about this. I have no idea how to make it but since i need to make a cap like an SF oven becuase there is no room for brick support in stand. I will simply do it since it will be nice to try something different. Hope it goes well:) I will make the cap big so hopefully the smoke finds its way up even during start up.

Oven entrance will be corten steel. I dont know exactly how to design it so it will hold up to the heat but probably soemting similar to acunto and sf ovens but more reinforced since those are casted as it seems.

Well happy new year everybody and i hope the oven will be ready in 3 months!!

Offline fagilia

Re: Finally a Swedish neapolitan WFO underway
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 01:21:29 PM »
Picture of the space between bricks which got larger and larger in the back of the oven.
The last bricks have the largest space but these will be under the soldiers so no probem there i think.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 02:53:30 PM »
Floor lay on bed of dry sand fireclay mix. Hope it will not be a problem when moving the oven. Any thoughts?

Inside dia floor is 48 inch. Soldiers stand on floor. Inside hight of soldiers is 9,5 inch. Hight of dome have not exactly decided yet, but it should be low.

Floorbricks have maximum space between 1/12inch, and max 1/24inch vertical difference. Would this be a problem or will ash fill the space. Maby i will grind the vertical down if pizzapeel gets stuck. My bricks wrere not perfect. Any thoughts on this? Its some concern of mine right now..
Your oven looks really good so far.
The fireclay mix should keep the brick in place just fine when you move it as long as you have something wrapped around it to make it tight like insulation or simply a metal band around it.
The slight vertical difference on the brick really shouldn't be a problem. No oven is perfect, they all have their little trick that makes them unique.
Don't sweat it too much, it is fantastic you are building your own oven and it will turn out great.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 03:06:42 PM »
Looking great!  Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming. 
-Jeff

Offline oratio

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 07:52:30 PM »
Häftigt :) Vad spännande!

I too look forward to reading about your progress. Please keep posting your thoughts and pictures.

Good luck, and happy new year!

- Mike

Offline fagilia

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 04:21:04 AM »
One question i have tried to find the answeres for here in the forums is size of sand grain. I understand in the US you have 30grit etc.
problem is in Sweden we use millimeter to describe sand size.
I understand it would be good to have finer sand for smaller joints and courser for bigger joints like outside of dome.
So what would be good for small joints verus bigger joints if you translate it to inches or millimeters?
Thanks for comments by the way. I will be finished with the door next week so i can start the soldier course.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 06:38:50 AM »
Good morning,

that is a good question. From what I can remember the sand you are looking for is 0.2 millimeters. It should called something like fine masonry sand.
I am not sure you need a bigger sand for larger joint, but then it would be 0.5 millimeters for medium size.
Your local home improvement store should be able to tell you what they have.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 08:08:33 AM »
Actually, standard masonry sand (on the right) or play sand is fine for oven building, you would only need the fine sand (on the left) for making refractory cement for a fireplace where your joints would be 1/8 to 1/16.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 08:24:32 AM »
Fantastic! Please continue to post pics of the build - what a great start to this oven.

John
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:03:27 AM by dellavecchia »

Offline fagilia

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 02:51:34 AM »
ok thanks for answeres about sand. really hard to find sand finer than 1mm here in sweden. If you find, its really expensive. I will end up using sand 0-2 mm for my oven and it costs nothing. Ill post a drawing of the stand and pictures as soon as i can.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 07:53:25 AM »
Anything less than 5mm should be fine.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 08:55:36 AM »
Really Nice Build! Are you opening a pizzeria? 48" floor  is a big oven and will be quite capable of doing production pizzas  :pizza:
Did you mention the size and composition of the the floor bricks? they appear to be 2" thickness ?
Cant wait to see more pictures !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline fagilia

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 04:32:19 PM »
The floor bricks are 2,55 inches thick. I hope it will be enough?
No i wont open a pizzeria I think at least. But iam building it big anough for a pizzeria just in case. One can always dream..
Before I stumbled in to this forum I didnt even know i liked Pizza that much, but now I am adicted to this just like many others here seem to be.
Pizza seam to be a bigger thing in the US than in Sweden, here people just think iam totally crazy  ;D
There is actually not one single pizzeria in Sweden serving neapolitan clone pizza. Not to my knowledge at least.
Ps. Today i got my hands on my first bag of caputo pizzeria 00. He sells almost nothing of this flour..

Offline fagilia

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 08:24:56 AM »
Here is first drawing of stand.
I have not done any calculations for strenght but most reinforcements are under the heavy dome.
I think it will hold up at least.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 08:27:00 AM »
second drawing. Total Diameter of stand is appr. 71".

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 09:07:42 AM »
Nice work!! Heavy duty!! I believe you could land a helicopter on that should the oven not work out  :-D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline fagilia

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 06:30:33 AM »
Ok,
Due too tonsill surgery i had to postpone the build for some weeks.
Since iam using corten steel opening i figured i need to have insulation under the opening plate instead of
firebricks so it can cool of a bit. Also it was easier to fit perfectly into the floor.
The steel opening itself will go deeper into the oven than other neopolitan doors i have seen.
I will do this becuase i am not so good with mortar. I want the mortar on top of the door to have good support.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 06:54:18 AM »
The soldiers was mortared with 1:1:1:3 like most of the people here.
I was surprised how easy it was and how fast i could do it. Just like building lego :D
The soldiers i cut down to 8,2 inches since i never understod Marcos idea where he said
soldiers should be 22cm but then again the net hight should only be 18-19cm. So i made something in between.
The oven door is 44cm wide and 22cm high so this will maby cause some problems. We will see later on.

The biggest concern i have now is that the oven door is supporting the structure as you can see from the darker circles.
I did read jeffs comments on his first oven. I was actually suposed to build a vault around the oven door so the dome itself
could be selfsupported with help of buttress around the soldiers.
The door itseld is really thick corten steel and it is really heavy so i hopw to minimize this problem with steel moving in different pace
than mortar due to heat? Please if anybody thinks how i did it will destroy the whole oven please shout out so i quickly can run and tear it apart ;)
What i did was just to fit pieces in between the soldiers and the oven door. Imade it quickly and not so exact so i could finish everything from the door to the soldiers in one day.

As buttress i intend to have a metal lathe that i connect with the oven door that goes around the middle of the soldiers.
I will most defenitely also have a metal lathe that goes around the angled pieces of firebricks that will go ontop of the soldiers. This lathe will not be connected
to the oven door since it is to high up.
Before i attach the butress i am planning to put a fibre insulation blanket around the the soldiers. I figured i now both could make the lathe less hot and at the same time easily attach the blanket around the soldiers.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 07:00:43 AM »
As you can see there is some room between the the entry and the soldiers. I did this because i both saw it on SF builds and I also thought i could fit some fibre blanket here to make the oven door less hot.
My firend Besmir who works with mortar stopped by and told me everything was a mess and dirty so he started to clean up:)

Offline fagilia

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 07:04:55 AM »
Just a look from the oven door.
I will let it rust to get that nice finish.

pizzapan