Author Topic: Finally a Swedish neapolitan WFO underway  (Read 48772 times)

Offline fagilia

Re: Finally a Swedish neapolitan WFO underway
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2013, 12:47:28 PM »
ok, thanks. I know when the oven is finished and hopefully working good i will probably see that i did some things overkill. Just to be on the safeside on the first time here. I sort of did like the donatella pictures but with a more dry version. Something in between normal mortar and wet slurry. I the bottom i always did put normal mortar.
I was thinking what would happen to the mortar when all the water was gone if i used a wet slutty. Would it not shrink then?
In any case here is how i got the circle back on track.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2013, 12:52:37 PM »
as you can see iam using all sorts of bricks new and old ones. the oven will look crazy from the inside different colors!
But it dont matter to me at all only the preformance is important.
I could use the mast in the middle to check the measurments all the way it varies at maximum 4 mm.
Think i started to cut bricks a bit smaller here

Offline fagilia

« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2013, 12:59:48 PM »
The last three rows or so we strated to cut bricks more like a pizza slice. Dont know but it made sense to keep the joints small we also hade time so it didnt matter it took more time.
I will close the dome tomorrow i think. Iam thinking of going one course more with smaller pizza slices and then finish with one small cut key stone at the top.

As far as possible i tried to overlap joints from previous course but sometimes it was pretty close though. If i was close i just made the next brick a little bit bigger so it overlapped more.

Thanks for all the advices from everybody so far :pizza:

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2013, 01:10:59 PM »
You're going to band it before you take the sand out, right?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline fagilia

« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
Yes defenitely ;D

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2013, 06:59:15 PM »
Looks great.  As long as the brick "lip" the other it is all good.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2013, 02:06:40 PM »
Ok the dome is closed and think it looks alright. Gonna have some vacation from the wfo for a week. My girlfriend is kind of me being away until late every night  :-D

Offline fagilia

« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2013, 03:53:27 PM »
Alright finally the steel bands are finnished.
Made them out of stainless since it holds better for heat.
Iam going to attatch them in the weekend.

I booked a trip to naples yesterday for one week in may. Any suggestions on part of town to stay in? Walking distance to great pizzerias if possible. I plan to visit 4 pizzerias per day so  24 at minimum.
The plan is to eat 1 pizza at every place :pizza:
Iam gonna review them all one by one on youtube if you guys are interested...

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2013, 03:59:41 PM »
http://www.napolibandb.it/

i stayed at this place, room with a private bathroom right in the middle of historic center of Naples, you must have in a 500m circle around 20 of the "famous" places...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline fagilia

« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2013, 04:32:57 PM »
Thanks.. looks perfect for me and my girlfriend..

Offline fagilia

« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2013, 03:09:12 PM »
Here is the metal bands around the oven. After this picture i did fill all the spaces between the oven and the metal band with mortar due to not perfectly circle outside the oven. After that i did put more tension in the band and carved out all the sand.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2013, 03:13:53 PM »
The inside of the oven did look like crap.. :D Had to clean it and scrape of bits of mortar hanging down. I also hade to fill up spaces that did not have mortar from the inside. If somebody gonna do like me make sure to watch Toms picture of how to put mortar on the brick or do as Jeff describes.
But fortunately there was only about 6 places where i had to fill in extra mortar.
Anyways iam happy that the dome has not collapsed yet!!! The dome looks really cool even if its not as pretty and clean as i have seen other places.
It feels really low and flat too..

Offline fagilia

« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2013, 03:16:58 PM »
in picture one can see that i sure have some places where the joints collide. Didnt look like that from above when i did it but hopefully it will hold. This is only the case in first 3 courses thankfully..

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2013, 03:41:54 PM »
Faglia, the Dome looks perfect!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2013, 03:51:59 PM »
Looks great!  you can use commercial/agricultural vinegar to clean the joints up.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2013, 04:54:19 PM »
thanks andre and Tom,
Vineagar is good for a lot of things it seems, just used it to clean up a mold attack in my bathroom...

Offline fagilia

« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »
Next step is to make the neapolitan vent like sf and acunto ovens. Trickiest part since i cant understand what it is that holds the cap from collapsing? I understand i will have to use an angle iron connected to my metal bands. But will this be enough. Any ideas here are welcome..

Offline Svitlana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2013, 12:12:40 PM »
your oven looks amazing! have you finished it already? :) I have read all your post and I want to build oven like yours, maybe you can help me and give some advices where I can get more information about it? some sites or something else? Thanks:)

Offline fagilia

« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2013, 02:12:44 AM »
Hi guys,
I have been working hard and since i am in the the awning business i have had no time for the oven. ( summer in Sweden )

What i have done is the transition for the vent. Kindly i got measurments from Craig on his oven so thats what i used to some extent.

Today i will get the Rolled steel plate that i will use for the transition. I dont know how to explain it but you will see.

The biggest issue i have is to how i am supposted to get at least some insulation/stucco to stick to the rolled steel cap vent transition :)

I want to cover it somehow otherwise it will get burning hot.

Ill post pivtures soon of that too.

Hope to get this thread started again..

By the way I Went to Naples for Holiday for 1 week. I took a map and and i marked all the pizzerias i wanted to go to and then i Went Walking for 1 week haha. 24 pizzerias in total.. Now i know what to aim for..
Also what is really neapolitan pizza? None of the pizzerias i Went to was the same really. All have their special touch and also if i Went to the same pizzeria twice which happened they were different too? If judging on looks i would say most people here make nicer pizzas than most that i eat in Naples :)
If neapolitan pizza is pizzas that are made like they mostly do in Naples then you guys are surely making neapolitan pizza..

Offline fagilia

« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2013, 02:13:27 AM »
one more view

Offline fagilia

« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2013, 03:05:46 AM »
The steel transition will look something like this. As you can see there is a gap of 2 inches where i can fill out with soem insulation/stucco and finally Mosaic.
Question is though how am I going to get this insulation or stucco attached to the steel plate and how am I going to prevent cracks here.
Thanks for thoughts on this.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #147 on: July 11, 2013, 08:30:59 AM »
Bye the way.
Iam planning to use a 270mm 10,6 inch pipe like the Picture below and then transition it to a 10 inch chimney. Any thoughts on this.
I will make the transition between the flue pipe and the vent over the oven almost like the Picture. Just cut a hole in the pipe.
As iam in a hurry i will just use rests of the firebriks i have to build the vent over the oven.
Only thing i Think of when doing the vent is to go from bigger to smaller at all times. I dont know much about draw in ventilation but it sounds smart :D
Picture is from some sf build i found on facebook.

Offline Jeep Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #148 on: July 11, 2013, 09:39:16 PM »
Where in Sweden are you located? I would like to come by and admire your work the next time I am there if time permits.
Time is money, money is power, power is pizza and pizza is knowledge.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #149 on: July 11, 2013, 10:08:40 PM »
If space allows, consider a couple of inches of insulation between the ceiling of the oven and the floor of the vent.  The flue should be fine in size.