Author Topic: Looking for the sweetest sauce  (Read 3058 times)

Offline ecarballo

• I Love Pizza!
Looking for the sweetest sauce
« on: December 19, 2005, 12:14:50 PM »
I'm not sure if the following flavor characteristics are appropriate for Chicago style pizza, but these are the things I am looking for in a sauce:

1.  The sauce should be sweet.  There should be no acidity, no saltiness, no over-spicyness.
2.  The spices should come through but should not overwhelm the sweetness.  I can't quite describe this characteristic, but even though the spices are present they are not protruding from the envelope of sweetness of the tomatoes.
3.  The sauce should be profoundly gratifying going down.  The aftertaste of sweetness should tug at the eater for more embellishment.
4.  The aroma of the sauce should be warm and sweet.  The tomato should fill the olfactory senses with warmth and even some instinctual nostalgia about tomato.

Does someone know the recipe for such a sauce?  I know I should use 6-in-1, but beyond this what would be the right ingredients and their amounts.  I think I will just sit down with a can of 6-in-1 and mix up concoctions until I get what I am thinking.

Offline buzz

Re: Looking for the sweetest sauce
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 02:53:13 PM »
I like to experiment with different brands of crushed tomatoes. 6-in-1 is topnotch (when they're fresh). Contadina is good, as is S&W in the west (last time I had them, they were excellent). I'm still undecided about Progresso and Muir Glen. I find that my local grocery store brand (Jewel, owned by Albertson's) is very good. I always add sugar to my sauce.

You can also buy whole peeled tomatoes (genuine San Marzanos from Italy are excellent), drain them, and crush them by hand.

My sauce (uncooked) formula is:

1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1-2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
@1 tsp. Kosher salt
@1 tsp. sugar
@.50 tsp. Italian seasonings--I prefer  a "Pizza Seasonings" blend I buy at Cost Plus
A few shakes of red pepper flakes

Obviously the seasonings you add can be adjusted to your taste.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 07:20:51 PM »
Buzz, I use a lot more sugar than you do....probably 3 tb. It's definitely a matter of taste. Living in Chicago, you get a lot of different tastes and I prefer a sweeter sauce, but one place in particular intrigues me as I can't put a handle on what they do to the sauce, but it's great.  I come to find out that they add nothing to the puree, other than some water. They let the added ingredients do the talking, but sprinkle oregano on top of every pizza before cooking. Go figure!

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 09:09:02 AM »
I'd use an extra-heavy tomato puree. It is naturally sweet and lends itself to spice additions. Crushed tomatoes, even "6-in-1", tend to be a little more "watery". The use of Basil and crushed fennel are great additions to compliment sweetness without adding just mere sugar.
If you live in the Chicago area, try Palermo's Pizza on 63 rd Street. It's the perfect sweet sauce.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 09:11:39 AM »
I agree, they opened a new store on 143rd street in Orland.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 08:59:33 AM »
I agree, they opened a new store on 143rd street in Orland.
Haven't tried it yet...I live 1/2 mile from the 63rd Street Palermo's. I heard, though, that it is not quite the same from a few people, which is weird because it's the same owner. Then again, I heard the same about Nick and Vito's new place too.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 09:03:37 AM »
Sometimes, the ovens need time to properly season themselves, but I did hear the same about Palermo's. Vito and Nicks was great.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 04:04:54 AM »
Is the sugar being added to 6-in-1's or just in other brands?
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline buzz

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 10:56:23 AM »
I always add sugar--I strive for a balance between the acidity of the tomatoes and the sweetness of the sugar. Even 6-in-1's and San Marzanos can be too acidic at times. For myself, I like 1 tsp/28-oz. can, whether it's sauce, crushed, or whole tomatoes. You have to adjust for your own palate, so it's best to taste your concoction before adding sugar, then add a little at a time until it suits you. Then you have a formula!

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 12:24:16 PM »
Thanks Buzz,

That clears-up a misconcecption of mine.

I was under the impression that no-one was adding sugar to the Escalons.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 12:46:21 PM »
itsinthesauce: could be they are adding something other than sugar like grape jelly. thats a trick you can do to spagatti sauce to sweeten it up & make everybody ask, what did put in this sauce its fantastic! Remember from grapes comes wine thats something else I always add to my sauce ;D

Offline buzz

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 03:22:42 PM »
I've heard the grape jelly trick--somehow it doesn't appeal--lol!

I would like to experiment with fennel a bit--that might add a sensation of sweetness--don't know.

Offline Mom of 7

• I Love Pizza!
A sweet sauce, similar to Palermo's in Chicago
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 07:50:05 PM »
Try this sauce, the extra sugar and cinnamon are the key to a really good sweet sauce.

Pizza Sauce--Sweet Chicago Style

2 large cans Contadina Crushed Tomatoes with Roasted Garlic
1 1/2 tsp. Fresh Basil or 3/4 tsp. dried Basil
1/2 tsp. Oregano
1/2 tsp. pepper
3/4 tsp. garlic powder or fresh garlic to taste (Only if you are using crushed tomatoes with no garlic already added)
1/2 tsp. onion powder
3/4-1 tsp. salt
6-8T sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Mix and leave in fridge to flavors can "marry".  You can simmer it before putting in fridge, but it doesn't seem to make any difference, so I go for the easy way out!  Make enough sauce for at least 8 pizzas.