Author Topic: UPDATED: Buying a steel plate tomarrow. **GOT THE PLATE**  (Read 5041 times)

Offline shuboyje

Re: UPDATED: Buying a steel plate tomarrow. **GOT THE PLATE**
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 06:26:26 PM »
You washed it with alcohol correct?
-Jeff

Offline mistachy

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 06:54:14 PM »
You washed it with alcohol correct?
Yes. Didn't work.

It's a pretty thick layer of grayish black finish. I took 80 weight sandpaper to it and it started to come off. But that is too labor intensive. I'm headed to Lowes for a wire wheel

Offline scott123

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 07:04:56 PM »
An overnight soaking in vinegar and then a light sanding will take it off.

For me, I wouldn't mess around. Naval jelly. Follow the directions, wear proper gloves and do it outdoors.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 07:08:21 PM »
Yes. Didn't work.

It's a pretty thick layer of grayish black finish. I took 80 weight sandpaper to it and it started to come off. But that is too labor intensive. I'm headed to Lowes for a wire wheel

I had to sand it repeatedly with 60 grit paper on a palm sander, and it never all came off. What I did was sand, then clean with Barkeepers Friend, then repeat (around 5 or 6 times, if I remember well). I would stay away from a wire wheel since it will likely give you a lot of surface imperfections, which *might* make it more likely that you'll end up with sticking problems.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 07:08:39 PM »
The purpose of the alcohol is to remove oil.  If you have to mechanically remove whatever this is, it isn't oil.  

Make sure to wear sleeves, gloves and eye protection while using the wire wheel.  They tend to throw their bristles.

-Jeff

Offline mistachy

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 07:12:17 PM »
I had to sand it repeatedly with 60 grit paper on a palm sander, and it never all came off. What I did was sand, then clean with Barkeepers Friend, then repeat (around 5 or 6 times, if I remember well). I would stay away from a wire wheel since it will likely give you a lot of surface imperfections, which *might* make it more likely that you'll end up with sticking problems.

Barry
my electric sander does a decent enough job of smoothing out the surface

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 07:20:41 PM »
The purpose of the alcohol is to remove oil.  If you have to mechanically remove whatever this is, it isn't oil.  

Make sure to wear sleeves, gloves and eye protection while using the wire wheel.  They tend to throw their bristles.

Not if ya have a good one.... :-D

Barry, 60 grit on a sander would have much more potential to cause surface imperfections than the type of wire wheel he is probably using...especially if you accidentally tip the sander on it's edge. 60 grit can gouge.Sounds like you could have gone with 36/40 first then finished with 60/80 grit.
This is jus the bodyman in me coming out...couldn't resist, sorry.  :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 08:59:19 PM »
An overnight soaking in vinegar and then a light sanding will take it off.

For me, I wouldn't mess around. Naval jelly. Follow the directions, wear proper gloves and do it outdoors.

Then you wash it off with water and it rusts again? 

In my opionion oiling and seasoning the steel plate is no different than using a dough that has oil in it, or pepperoni oil or sausauge oil getting in the steel.  Steel is porous, and some of that oil is going to get all soaked in there regardless of it's smoke point.  I am not against oiling the steel, can you tell?  Regardless, this discussion is probably the least of the OP's worries at this point.  Can we agree on that?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline mistachy

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 09:44:21 PM »
this black stuff aint no joke. its takes serious diggin with 50 grit paper to tear into it, and even then i have to finish it off with 80 grit to see the silver steel underneath.  could the Naval jelly have any chance of breaking through this stuff to make this job easier? all my electric sander does is polish it and make it look nice. it doesnt dig into the finish. i have to put my thumb behind the 50 grit. the wire wheel does a tad better than the sander, but not much to make a difference.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 10:08:53 PM »
Try a Scotch bright pad with some acetone or Simple Green/Purple Power/Greased Light'in.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 10:15:17 PM »
Reading your last comment it sounds like you are trying to remove the mill scale.  If that is indeed the case it is generally done using smooth continuos strokes with a grinding wheel in an angle grinder.  Down side to that method is without a bit of practice odds are you aren't going to end up with a smooth finish.  Personally I leave the scale on as it is basically made of the same thing as blue steel and will not cause any harm.
-Jeff

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 10:15:34 PM »
mistachy,

Looking at your pics it appears to me that the steel has been chemically treated.  Don't freak out with that terminology.  I say this as it appears your steel has an iridescent color from what I can see in the pics.  It appears to be a phosphate coating or treatment. Some of it may also be milling marks from where it was rolled. Naval Jelly is a thick jell of Phosphoric acid, so I think you're going to end up in the same place.  Personally, I think I'd clean it well, maybe in the dishwasher a few times, and bake it numerous times getting hot as you can a few times. Maybe do numerous crust only bakes before you start loading pies for eating.
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 10:17:04 PM »
Reading your last comment it sounds like you are trying to remove the mill scale.  If that is indeed the case it is generally done using smooth continuos strokes with a grinding wheel in an angle grinder.  Down side to that method is without a bit of practice odds are you aren't going to end up with a smooth finish.  Personally I leave the scale on as it is basically made of the same thing as blue steel and will not cause any harm.

I'd agree with that, where i was trying to go as well.
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline mistachy

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 10:41:03 PM »
but the residue keeps coming off, i dont think its safe to be ingesting that stuff? when i scrubb it with any pad, the pad turns black. maybe ill use muratic acid...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:07:02 PM by mistachy »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 11:33:35 PM »
  maybe ill use muratic acid...

I'm out.  This has gone from simple to acid.

My final .02
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 12:19:01 AM »
mistachy,

Acid? Sanding?

Seriously? Might as well put the damn thing in the trash right now.

Some tips...

Apply a light coat of a high-smoke point oil on both sides and pop in it the oven for about an hour at 500F.  Make sure you have a fan going at all times.

Turn oven off, let the plate cool down to lukewarm, wipe off with a paper towel. Repeat above process.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 12:22:02 AM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 01:01:49 AM »
Hit it with millisecond pulses from a megawatt-class chemical oxygen iodine laser.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Ev

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2013, 07:05:12 AM »
Find a shop that does glass beading. It's like sand blasting but much gentler on the steel. Maybe the shop where you bought it?

Offline mistachy

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2013, 07:35:42 AM »
I'm out.  This has gone from simple to acid.

My final .02
Not so simple. i put in 2 hours of work and only got 10% off. i could use vinegar, but not sure how affective that will be.

UPDATED

Scratch that. I know exactly how affective it would be. IT WORKED.  It took about 12 hours, but the vinegar ate through that thick chit and came right off when i went down stairs this morning.  SO what ive done is take a huge sheet of glass, I put a puddle of vinegar on it and then layed my steel on top of the puddle. i dont have a bath i could use for this so the glass trick will have to suffice. Scott was spot on the with the vinegar. Thanks for all who chimed in. I didnt know what mill scale was before yesterday.

I figure it will be done by 5pm or so, mountain time and i can smooth the surface with my electric sander. ITS PIZZA MAKIN' TIME!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:27:47 AM by mistachy »

Offline mistachy

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2013, 07:36:42 AM »
Find a shop that does glass beading. It's like sand blasting but much gentler on the steel. Maybe the shop where you bought it?
the steel yard i bought it from only collects sells and cuts.

pizzapan