Author Topic: UPDATED: Buying a steel plate tomarrow. **GOT THE PLATE**  (Read 5958 times)

Offline mistachy

Re: UPDATED: Buying a steel plate tomarrow. **GOT THE PLATE**
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2013, 07:41:12 AM »
Hit it with millisecond pulses from a megawatt-class chemical oxygen iodine laser.
How about photon torpedoes or forward phase cannons. we could get more power from the deflector array, engage a tractor beam that'll rip that stuff right it off. or how about we transcend just the mill coating to the future with our reactor coil.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:25:18 AM by mistachy »

Online scott123

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2013, 10:08:23 AM »
DJ, I'm glad the vinegar worked out well for you.  Naval Jelly is the same premise, but, being a much stronger acid will get the job done faster.

I've never heard stories of iron oxide on blue steel pans giving off a black film when rubbed. Even if they did, the seasoning and lower temperature use would seal the oxide in. I really think a vinegar soak/no seasoning is the way to go, and, for those with less patience, naval jelly.

Offline mistachy

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2013, 10:11:58 AM »
DJ, I'm glad the vinegar worked out well for you.  Naval Jelly is the same premise, but, being a much stronger acid will get the job done faster.

I've never heard stories of iron oxide on blue steel pans giving off a black film when rubbed. Even if they did, the seasoning and lower temperature use would seal the oxide in. I really think a vinegar soak/no seasoning is the way to go, and, for those with less patience, naval jelly.
Well it was a normal piece of steel, but it was treated with something thats supposed to prevent rusting. it only had a tad bit of rust on it when i bought it. After several deep digging attempts with a combination of 80 grit and 50 grit sand paper, i was able to break through that stuff and see the beautiful silver steel underneath. The vinegar was slow and i didnt have much patience, but it finally proved to be able to eat through that coating. I believe it is mill scale. It appears to be any way.

Offline mistachy

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »
you can see the stuff in this pic as im trying to scrub it off http://sdrv.ms/Ut7fgA

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:42:04 AM by mistachy »

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2013, 10:42:52 AM »
Yup, that's mill scale alright.
-Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2013, 10:56:44 AM »
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't mill scale just various iron oxides and completely harmless?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mistachy

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2013, 11:02:23 AM »
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't mill scale just various iron oxides and completely harmless?
I dont know but my hands were filled with black stuff. to the point where you couldnt see the color of my skin. harmless? i dont know... but i dont want to gamble with my health. i think its better, removed.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2013, 11:35:10 AM »
Yes the mill scale is just higher level oxides like magnetite, very similar to blue steel.  Although the mill scale itself is harmless it sounds like there was some sort of coating on the steel.  I'd assume it was some sort of oil, but if so the alcohol should have removed it.  If the vinegar removed it that's all that matters, who cares if it took the mill scale with it. 

Now let's see some pizza, lol.
-Jeff

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 12:19:03 PM »
I'm glad we got to the bottom of this fellas.... :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgVMMdOplHw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgVMMdOplHw</a>
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Bugsforbob

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2013, 09:01:30 PM »
Oven cleaner might have been an option. Hot tank cleaners at machine shops use a lye type solution. Same as oven cleaner.

Offline mistachy

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2013, 09:43:25 PM »
vinegar, 12 hours soaked... came right off

Offline henkverhaar

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2013, 03:30:50 AM »
Yes. And what I'm seeing on the picture ain't no mill scale. Mill scale basically looks like blued steel, and is basically oxides formed during heating and 'pressed' into the steel during (hot) rolling.