Author Topic: Dough too springy?  (Read 1368 times)

Offline kneader65

Dough too springy?
« on: December 31, 2012, 12:00:28 AM »
I have just started making pizzas  at home and have found my dough to be too springy.It always shrinks back to a smaller diameter in the pan within a few minutes of stretching it to full size of the pan.The composition of my dough is as follows.

100% Flour
65% Water
0.5% ADY
1.5% Salt
2.0% Sugar
2.0% Oil

I am doing about 10 minutes of kneading at low speed on my mixer and resting the dough for about 4 hours before making the pizzas.
I have tried replacing whole of the water with light milk and it has not improved the dough much other than becoming a bit softer in texture.Is there anything I can do to make the dough less springy?Ihave  read on the internet that ingredients like baking soda,lemon juice etc might help to reduce the springiness.Is there any truth in this?

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: Dough too springy?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 04:01:08 PM »
Pehaps the dough doctor will address this. However, i would like to know what kind of flour that you are using? What is the Brand name and the type of flour? Is it high gluten, etc..?

« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 05:07:55 PM by TomN »

Offline kneader65

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 02:23:33 AM »
I am using breadflour with a protein content of 12.5%

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 11:57:18 PM »
Just curious, what brand of bread flour are you using?

Offline TomfromErie

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 10:08:55 AM »
I am by no means an expert but I have experienced your same problem and this is how I resolved it to some degree. Are you using AP flour? If so, try a high-gluten (sometimes called pizza flour). You can't find it in all stores. I am using Bay State Mills - Bouncer, that I found at GFS in a 25# bag. Also your hydration levels seem a bit high. I use 56% hydration, you use 67%. After mixing the dough for the first time let it rest (autolyze) for up to an hour. This is supposed to let the gluten form to provide for better stretching. It is a challenge for sure.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 01:22:21 PM »

Offline kneader65

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 05:22:17 AM »
I have now moved onto a 10 % Protein flour which is a lot easier to handle.The spring is not too bad either.