Author Topic: How do YOU store your 50 lbs of KASL?  (Read 16757 times)

Offline LowRent

• 'za apprentice
How do YOU store your 50 lbs of KASL?
« on: December 19, 2005, 02:33:11 PM »
I rec'd 50 lbs of KASL last week. I used 1 kg right out of the bag, but need to store the rest. What do you use or recommend?

Here's what I've found as possibilities so far:

King Arthur Flour Storage Bucket - Large

These are beauties http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/landing.jsp?go=DetailDefault&ref=pub1&id=5177, but at $23.95 + shipping I'm forced to look elsewher. KA shipping is usually high. Most likely KA is just sourcing these from a manufacturer that sells them via normal restaurant supply. Anyone recognize them or know of a cheaper source? I did the math on these to calculate volume* & these are about 9.75 quarts. So, from this we can conclude that about 10 quarts will hold 25 lbs KASL.

(http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/images/1083778419337.jpg)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poly E Square Pale

The cheapest option that I've found to date, and this will accept the entire 50 lbs mind you, is this: Poly E Square Pale which are air & liquid tight & FDA approved @ $8.58 for pale & gasketed cover (shipping is basically nominal @ $6 or so) http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=20328&product%5Fid=20959

(http://www.usplastic.com/images/products/buckets/81166p.jpg)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HDPE Space-Saver Storage Containers

The last option I'm presently looking at is the HDPE Space-Saver Storage Containers http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=20369&product%5Fid=18433&variant%5Fid=85125. In particular, I'm looking at a pair of the 12 qt (which would hold over half-a-bag of KASL each). Here's a partial description, "The rounded and smooth insde corners permits easy cleaning. They are made of heavy duty high density polyethylene which withstands boiling water and freezing temperatures. The snap on, air-tight covers insure freshness of contents and guards against leakage [emphasis added]." Two 12 qts containers & mathching lids would total to $17.80 + about $7 to ship for an "all in" price around $25. While more expensive than immediately above, the smaller size is more managable. I also like that they are polyethylene.

(http://www.usplastic.com/images/products/bottles/85120p.jpg)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what are you using?

*Volume of a Cylinder V= π2rh (π= 3.14, r=radius, h=height, 2r=diameter=d). d=12”, h=15”

3.14 x 12” x 15” = 565.2 in3 ≈ 9.79 US quarts = 25 lbs flour
                                  Therefore, 20 US quarts   = 50 lbs flour
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 04:26:35 PM by LowRent »

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
Re: How do YOU store your 50 lbs of KASL?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 02:49:04 PM »
I've been putting the whole bag in a new contractors garbage bag and tying it shut.  I keep it in my basement.  But I think I might order one of those pails since you pointed them out.   :D
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 03:23:09 PM »
I divided the flour into amounts to fill large plastic storage bags which I froze one by one to kill off any insect eggs that might be present in the flour. I left the flour in the storage bags after I removed them from the freezer.

Peter

Offline LowRent

• 'za apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 03:29:36 PM »
I've been putting the whole bag in a new contractors garbage bag and tying it shut.  I keep it in my basement.  But I think I might order one of those pails since you pointed them out.   :D

Probably not the smartest possible solution, but, hey, if it works, i.e. no bugs, no flavor from contractor's bag, etc, why fight it?

Offline LowRent

• 'za apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 03:31:29 PM »
I divided the flour into amounts to fill large plastic storage bags which I froze one by one to kill off any insect eggs that might be present in the flour. I left the flour in the storage bags after I removed them from the freezer.

Peter

I thought of putting the flour into as many 1 gal bags as it took. But, we buy Wal-Mart brand and they can leak. Besides that, taking it out of the bags seemed like a potential mess.  Where in your home do you store them after they're frozen?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 04:15:59 PM »
LowRent,

I store the bags in my pantry--a separate room where it is reasonably cool, dry and dark. I did do some investigating locally to find a large container to hold 50 pounds of flour in bulk, but thought that the cost of the container that most appealed to me was too high. I neglected to mention in my earlier post that I sometimes transfer the flour from the storage bags to other plastic containers that are rigid, with tight-fitting lids or covers. I have found that removing flour from any container I have, including the 5-lb. paper bags in which flour comes, is a messy proposition. No doubt, a large container such as you showed is a better choice in that respect.

BTW, if you have a freezer big enough to freeze a 50-lb. bag of flour in bulk, Tom Lehmann recommends 45 days of freezing to take care of any insect eggs.

Peter

Offline LowRent

• 'za apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 06:15:10 PM »
After more looking, I like this one too. I runs $13 w/lid. Don't know about shipping, and it's not clear how tight that lid is. http://www.superprod.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=542726&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=154028

(http://www.superprod.com/WebFashion/en_US/images/full/800354.jpg)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 07:20:31 PM »
LowRent,

One of the containers I use is shown below. It, too, is a Cambro product (6qt./6 l.), and if the one you show in your photo is like mine, the lid snaps on real tight.

I don't know if you really need airtight containers. I use them mainly to keep the little insect critters from getting into them from the outside and setting up housekeeping. I never had the problem before moving to Texas, so if you live in a colder climate I suspect you may be OK. Airtight is perhaps better in general, but I don't know how necessary it really is.

Peter

Offline Bubba Kuhn

• A dough to dough salesman since 1967!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 10:28:27 PM »
FYI

Most restaurants have a surplus of 5 gallon buckets with gasket lid. Pickels, sourkraut, sour cream, olives, pickled herring  and many things are packed commercially in them. They are perfect to restore in.  Most restaurants have an over abundance of these and often throw them out or sell them for a dollar or two. Might want to check at your local supermart grocers who have a deli section.  Bet you can get one for a buck. Ask some one behind the counter if they have a spare in the back. Personally I use one of these trash cans and stand the flour bag in it. Good Luck.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 10:31:57 PM by bubba »
Share a piece with a friend!

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 10:38:03 AM »

Howdy:

50# don't last long around here and is the most economical way to buy it.  It beats running to the store every other week for a 5# bag.  Like firewood, flour is a pain inasmuch as the constant handling of large quantities. Transferring flour to smaller containers is messy.  And your footprint will be the same if not larger. 
I'm not sure I have THE solution until they make a WinZip for flour.  What I do is first buy a bag that is in good shape.  Once home, I'll stick about 10# in a plastic storage container.  This is good for a batch and enough to keep the preferment going.  The remainder is simply folded (corners in) down and clipped with a gigantic binder clip and kept off the floor.  This is good enough for temporary storage.  Now if you folks are thinking about keeping it longer, say 6 months or so...Stick to the 5# bags.  ALL flour has bugs, bug parts (and eggs).  Fact of life.  You need not worry about them getting into your flour, they are already home!  Visit any flour room in a big bakery and you will see the crazy trails these dudes make on the floor.  If you use the stuff in a timely manner, it will be fine.  Of course you can tie up your freezer and try to kill them but I find they "bake-off" just fine.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 11:38:31 AM »
I divide it up into zip lock bags, the heavy duty kind for freezing.  Each bag holds 5 pounds In each bag I put a dry bay leaf per the Kin Arthur flour people.  They fatten nicely so they can be stacked.  Never had a bug problem.

Offline iceman3876

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 05:07:38 AM »
I put mine in a second refrigerator...the entire 50 lb bag...

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 03:48:31 PM »
Wait a second...you have to refridgerate this flour?
I don't have KASL, but have Pendelton Hi-Glutose flour...I treated it like I've treated my other flour, and simply left the remainder of the bag on the floor in my kitchen. 

So, I have bug or bug eggs in my flour now?

Agghhh...I have no room in my refridgerator or freezer.  My basement seems to be home of the bugs.  I guess I have to get one of those cans with lids, right?  You say that will keep them out?  Or were they already present when I bought the bag...or do you think they've gotten into it since last weekend?

Please help me protect my precious pizza dough!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 04:07:46 PM »
ihavezippers,

If you have active bugs in your flour, you would know it. If they are like the ones I have had, they are small, black critters, and they will be on top of the flour in the bag. You may not have a problem with bugs where you live (they seem to be more prevalent in warm climates) but to be on the safe side you might freeze the flour 5-lbs. or so at a time to kill any eggs in the flour, and then return the bags to room temperature. If you have the refrigerator space, that's fine too. Storing the flour in airtight containers is also a good idea. But I just leave my flour in the zip-type bags I used for freezing. If you reread the posts above in this thread you will get a lot of good ideas and options.

Peter

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 03:36:53 PM »
I store 50 lbs of flour in the food service bins from Camwear food service bins found at Samrt & Final. Square ones take up less room than the round and may be worth paying a bit more for them. I store 8 different kinds of flour so saving room is an issue.

50# bags will require at least 2, 18 qt. bins filled to the 16 qt. line. They dont make a 16Qt. but that's not a problem since you need some headroom for scooping out the flour. I use a large scoop to transfer the flour, and it dosen't take any time at all.

I dont refrigerate my flour, in winter I have keep it in the garage in these bins. But I usually keep them in my indoor pantry. I have not seen weevils unless I have keep flour for some time in the original packaging. I live in a very warm 105F and very cold 30F climate.

These small bugs are weevils, and although unappetizing as they may sound, can be sifted out of the flour just like the warehouses do before packaging and shiping.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 03:41:46 PM by Lydia »
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2006, 09:15:31 AM »
I use a Food Saver vaccum sealer to save my flour. I split my 50 lb bags in to approximately 5 lb bags and sealed em up.  The bags are stored in a big plastic box in my basement. I don't have enough room in my freezer to store them there. I haven't noticed any bugs.

Offline Pizzazzs

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 02:15:49 AM »
These small bugs are weevils, and although unappetizing as they may sound, can be sifted out of the flour just like the warehouses do before packaging and shiping.

I just opened my 25kg bag of Caputo 00 to find weevils in it.  How depressing can that be??  You say they can be sifted, but can I really be ok to make pies and not get sick?  The thought is a bit hard to...swallow... ;)

kraig

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 02:45:38 AM »
I had grain weevils at one point in some flour I had purchased from whole foods... so i looked around online and yeah they can just be sifted out, no worries (i threw out the flour though and froze everything new from that point on).  when i was also looking online, i found another forum talking about them and one person said they had an old roommate in college that would make pancakes with the flour with weevils in it and not even sift them out first.   :-D

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline Madmax

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 09:38:16 AM »
I have the containers, I just can't find 25# or 50# bags of KASL anywhere.  Anyone have a good online source?

Gracias

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 09:58:07 AM »
Madmax,

There are a lot of good tips for finding KASL in the large bags at
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1907.msg10062.html#msg10062, although they may not apply where you live. I also saw another potential source recently at
http://therusticpantry.com/flour.htm. Since I have not used them I can’t say whether they are a good source or not.

Another useful tip is to just do a Google search using the keywords “King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour, bulk”, which will often turn up places that sell the flour in “bulk”. Out of curiosity, I did such a search this morning and found these potential sources: http://www.shamanshop.net/store/prodpage5.cfm/CategoryID/21500.0/SubCatID/13985.0/file.htm and http://www.dairylandusa.com/Catalog/Detail.aspx?prd_id=GF264. I have tried neither of these places either, and it may be necessary to open an account with DairylandUSA.

I also did a NexTag search and found this potential source: http://www.kalyx.com/store/proddetail.cfm/ItemID/682851/CategoryID/12500/SubCatID/16135/file.htm.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 10:49:13 AM by Pete-zza »

pizzapan