Author Topic: How do YOU store your 50 lbs of KASL?  (Read 16471 times)

Offline mbusse

Re: How do YOU store your 50 lbs of KASL?
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 12:20:27 PM »
Madmax,

There are a lot of good tips for finding KASL in the large bags at
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1907.msg10062.html#msg10062, although they may not apply where you live. I also saw another potential source recently at
http://therusticpantry.com/flour.htm. Since I have not used them I can’t say whether they are a good source or not.

Another useful tip is to just do a Google search using the keywords “King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour, bulk”, which will often turn up places that sell the flour in “bulk”. Out of curiosity, I did such a search this morning and found these potential sources: http://www.shamanshop.net/store/prodpage5.cfm/CategoryID/21500.0/SubCatID/13985.0/file.htm and http://www.dairylandusa.com/Catalog/Detail.aspx?prd_id=GF264. I have tried neither of these places either, and it may be necessary to open an account with DairylandUSA.

I also did a NexTag search and found this potential source: http://www.kalyx.com/store/proddetail.cfm/ItemID/682851/CategoryID/12500/SubCatID/16135/file.htm.

Peter

FYI, rustic pantry is no longer in business.

Mark

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 01:49:30 PM »
FYI, rustic pantry is no longer in business.

Mark,

Thanks for the update.

If they also have not gone out of business, here’s another potential source to take the place of Rustric Pantry: http://www.floursack.com/merchant/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=142053&Category_Code=FL.

Peter

Offline mbusse

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 02:32:35 PM »
I can personally vouch for the Floursack. I have twice ordered 25lb of KASL.
They are a bit slow in shipping. Maybe 4 days or so just to ship the product.
It is packed well, in a clear plastic bag, then another, then in a box.

Shipping is a killer even though they are in Wisconsin and I am in the Chicago burbs.
I think shipping for me was as much as the product.

Mark

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 01:11:04 AM »
FYI, I read this thread and didn't see any mention of the ZIP Lock XL and XXL bags available in  most grocery stores. They will hold a 50lb bag of flour or grain no problem. They run about $5.00 for a box of 3 heavy duty zip bags.  ;)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 06:55:16 AM »
The last time I did a 50 pound bad I used gallon sized zip lock bags putting 5 pounds in each one with a bay leaf.  Lasted almost a year before I used it all.

Randy

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008, 10:04:52 PM »
So will a 40 quart bucket be enough for 50# of flour?  I know at the "Container Store" they had a sign up but can't remember the conversion.  They have a 40 QT bucket for $25 which is NSF approved.  I want something that is definitely NSF and or FDA. 

Could I put sealed buckets outside overnight to kill weevil eggs?    It will get down to below freezing every night here at least for now.

I also am looking for NSF or FDA approved containers that will fit either 2.5 or 5# of cheese.    Surprisingly, Container store I thought had some stuff at reasonable prices.  They had the Rubbermade commercial line.

Finally, I would love some sort of large rectangle but is very short that would allow me to pack in many dough balls.  I thought maybe something like this:

http://common.csnstores.com/common/products/RMC/RMC1286_m.jpg

It is 18x26x3.5" tall.  Also NSF approved. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 10:19:03 PM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 09:52:29 AM »
Patrick,

According to King Arthur, one of its 5-lb. bags of flour contains about seventy six 1/4-cup servings. That's about 19 cups. A 50-lb. bag would therefore contain about 190 cups of flour. At four cups per quart, that comes to 47.5 quarts. So, the container you have in mind is not big enough to hold 50 lbs of flour, even if you compact it by jumping up and down on it. It's what in my youth was referred to as a "blivet" situation.

As far as freezing the flour outside, I suppose that cold is cold, but if you are talking about freezing a 50 lb. bag of flour, Tom Lehmann recommends that one freeze a 50 lb. bag of flour (in a freezer) for 45 days to rid the flour of any bugs. However, if you use a lot of small buckets, you might be able to rid the flour of bugs if the weather remains cold enough long enough. When I freeze flour in my refrigerator freezer compartment, I do it in 5-lb. quantities for about 3-4 days. I just guessed at that number.

The RMC1286 Rubbermaid food storage container you referenced should work for your purposes. However, one of the most popular brands of dough storage boxes among pizza operators is the Cambro brand. The Cambro unit is made of a polycarbonate material and apparently can tolerate a fair amount of abuse, which is not likely to be a factor in your home kitchen. However, the lid for the Cambro unit is priced separately, and it is quite expensive. The Cambro dough box itself is priced around the same as the RMC1286, although when I researched the RMC1286, I could not tell whether the lid came with the unit or was priced separately. So, whichever way you go, be sure that you price in a lid if it does not come with the unit itself.

American Metalcraft is another well known supplier of dough storage boxes. You might also spot a good deal on eBay.

Peter

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2008, 08:25:23 AM »
Getting a little sick of the flour sitting on our kitchen chairs -

I measured out 1 quart of flour to 1.28 pounds which comes to 39 quarts for 50#.  I am going to give one of these NSF buckets from Container Store a try.
Patrick

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2008, 10:37:52 AM »
I measured out 1 quart of flour to 1.28 pounds which comes to 39 quarts for 50#.

Patrick,

Thanks for running that little test. I don't have any KASL on hand but I have some KABF that I used to run a similar test, which confirmed your results. The roughly 19 cups of flour for a 5-lb. bag is for cups that are apparently measured out by stirring the flour to loosen it, lifting it into a measuring cup (I used a standard metal measuring cup), and then leveling off the top. When I did that, I found that there was still room left in a one-cup Pyrex measuring cup when I emptied my metal measuring cup into the Pyrex cup. By tamping the Pyrex cup to compact the flour, I found that I could get even more into it.

Peter

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2008, 01:26:38 PM »
The 40 quart seems to be enough.  There is not a ton of room to spare but it's enough  :chef:

I went back and forth a few times as to whether to order them online. Here they are $13 dollars cheaper for two vs The Container Store, but alas, I am impatient  :-[

http://www.bigtray.com/productdetails.asp?catid=13400&sku=LEBB4000C

I couldn't figure out if the above included the lid either, so  that was another factor.

I also picked up a big Cambro scoop (#SCP24CW) and a Cambro 4 qt container for cheese (like this http://www.bigtray.com/productdetails.asp!sku.CAM4SFSCW,catid.13420.html, they didn't have larger).  I am really looking more for something I can fit a full 5# bag of cheese into and I think 4 qt is going to be too small.  6 would probably be ideal (from what the guys at PMQ.COM/TT say, about 1 quart per # of shredded cheese).  The scoop will make transferring a few pounds of flour easy.  I usually put a few pounds into a covered SS bowl which I use first to pour into the mixer bowl, then I leave it out to use on the dough balls when they're ready  :pizza:
Patrick

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2008, 12:52:23 PM »
I posted this sometime ago.  A one quart zip lock bag holds five pounds perfectly if that helps.  A bay leaf added and it will last a year.

Offline dikemiya

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2008, 12:34:11 AM »
i just bought the Container Stores 40qt bucket, and it holds my 55lb bag of San Felice flour fine.

Offline baldylocks

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 08:50:10 AM »
go costco get food grade buckets for free

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 09:20:20 AM »
I use one of these http://amzn.com/B00186RU26

"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Online bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 08:17:33 PM »
18 Quart square storage container on the pantry floor for 1/2 a bag GM Full Strength.  Qty(3) 6 Quart round "work" containers on the top pantry shelf.  Qty(4) 6 Quart containers for other flours, (whole wheat, rye, semolina, AP)

Offline TarHeelPizza

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2014, 01:08:29 PM »
I vacumn sealed the flour in large bags before freezing.  How long can I store it without losing quality?

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 08:39:24 PM »
I bought a couple of 5 gallon food-grade buckets w/lids from Lowe's. Each bucket holds about 25 pounds of flour, or half a bag.

Not sure if this link will work:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_356492-1152-50640_0__?Ntt=food+grade+bucket&UserSearch=food+grade+bucket&productId=3694238&rpp=32
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:41:27 PM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2014, 07:35:40 AM »
I picked this up at my local Costco for ~25 bucks - works great and holds the whole 50LB bag of flour

Offline DIY Whiz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »
The big brown truck just dropped this off.  ;D

I bought 2 food grade 5 gallon buckets at Lowe's and Gamma lids on Amazon for storage.  I'm set for a few months...

Pete

Offline DIY Whiz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2014, 05:56:11 PM »
2, 5 gal food grade buckets work just fine for the 50# bag.  I bought gamma lids off Amazon
Pete

pizzapan