Author Topic: How One Seattle Baker Uses Infused 'Yeast Water' To Leaven Bread  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: How One Seattle Baker Uses Infused 'Yeast Water' To Leaven Bread
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2015, 10:56:51 PM »

You know....I believe I see micro blisters on that dough already Norma.  :D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #61 on: Yesterday at 12:26:16 AM »
Since Norma hasn't given up, I decided to press ahead.  What the heck it is only some flour.  Anyway, I took the basil infused water and added flour this morning, by the time I got home tonight it is crazy active... who would have thought.

I still have my doubts about making bread directly without the in-between step of a starter as the article seems to imply.  In a couple of days I will try a pizza dough.  8)

Tom
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:28:21 AM by steelplayer »
Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #62 on: Yesterday at 01:09:13 AM »
I don't think anyone will be interested in trying to replicate the Sicilian dough leavened with the lemon infused starter, so I will post the photos on this thread.  I sure would not have gone to the bother of trying to create a lemon infused yeast water, and then trying a lemon infused starter, if I hadn't tried to create infused yeast water in the first place.  :-D  The Sicilian dough ball was just reballed.

Norma

They couldn't even if they wanted to as I'm pretty much out of lemons for this year.  ;D

I'm really excited to hear how it tastes. I think Sicilian was the perfect choice for the starter.

Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #63 on: Yesterday at 07:41:23 AM »

You know....I believe I see micro blisters on that dough already Norma.  :D

Bob,

I don't think there will be any micro blisters on the rim, since the pizza will be a Sicilian. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: Yesterday at 07:55:09 AM »
Since Norma hasn't given up, I decided to press ahead.  What the heck it is only some flour.  Anyway, I took the basil infused water and added flour this morning, by the time I got home tonight it is crazy active... who would have thought.

I still have my doubts about making bread directly without the in-between step of a starter as the article seems to imply.  In a couple of days I will try a pizza dough.  8)

Tom

Tom,

I am glad you decided to press ahead.  :P Cool that the basil infused with added flour is crazy active.  8) I agree about who would have thought. 

I tend to agree that we both have our doubts that a infused yeast water will be successful.  Craig's rosemary infused water is showing some signs of the water moving in tubes in the airlock, but the same thing happened with the lemon infused water, and your basil infused water.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: Yesterday at 08:04:17 AM »
They couldn't even if they wanted to as I'm pretty much out of lemons for this year.  ;D

I'm really excited to hear how it tastes. I think Sicilian was the perfect choice for the starter.

Craig,

Lol about your being pretty much out of lemons this year.  I always could dry out some of your lemon starter if someone would want to try it.  >:D

You were spot on that after more feeding the lemon infused starter would become more active.  :chef: Right after I used some of your lemon starter I fed it again.  Quickly it doubled in size. 

This is what the Siclian dough ball looks like this morning.  I probably could used it around lunchtime to make a pizza, but I have a lot to do before more snow comes in our area.  I put the lemon dough into the fridge, until later this afternoon, when I can get around to making the pizza.  The dough does smell very good.  I did not want to have to put it into the fridge, but thought it would ferment too much.

Norma
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:06:47 AM by norma427 »

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #66 on: Yesterday at 01:09:39 PM »
One thing that has occurred to me...  While it may be possible to keep the infused starter alive and fed for a long period, I would think that the infused flavor will disappear, maybe by only one or two uses as it becomes more diluted by additions of flour..  Now that doesn't mean that it would not be a useful starter and take on it's own characteristics, but probably more hassle than it is worth.  :-\

Tom
Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: Yesterday at 07:51:32 PM »
One thing that has occurred to me...  While it may be possible to keep the infused starter alive and fed for a long period, I would think that the infused flavor will disappear, maybe by only one or two uses as it becomes more diluted by additions of flour..  Now that doesn't mean that it would not be a useful starter and take on it's own characteristics, but probably more hassle than it is worth.  :-\

Tom

Tom,

There is a possibility that a good starter can be made with something different, but I agree that the infused flavor will probably disappear.  I agree it might be more hassle than it is worth, but I am always trying to learn something new.  That doesn't mean I will keep feeding the lemon infused starter for a long time.

Before I purchased the Ischia and Camaldoli starters I played around with wild yeast starters.  You can see all of the wild yeast starters I had going at one time at Reply 33 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=10008.msg87723#msg87723  They all can also be seen at Reply 74 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=10008.msg88226#msg88226 too. I concluded a lot of them were not consistent in their abilities to leaven doughs.  The pizzas made with the wild yeast starters were good, but trying to get consistent results with a wild yeast starter is hard to do in my opinion.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: Yesterday at 11:15:14 PM »
The lemon starter dough gave me a lot of problems.  It probably wasn't the dough itself, but the way I managed the dough, how I didn't let the dough ball warm up enough, and I probably should not have done the reball. 

I had a lot of errands to do today.  After doing other errands, I picked up some groceries and went home to put them away.  I should have taken the dough ball out of the refrigerator to warm up.  I was in a hurry to put the groceries away and go to visit my mother.  I got home later than I wanted, and then took the dough ball out and put it into the oven with the oven light on.  I only waited about 45 minutes and then tried to open the dough ball with oil.  The dough fought me every stretch of the way.  It was so elastic and wanted to shrink back with each press.  The dough in the pan was then put into the oven with aluminum foil over the dough.  I tried different times to press out the dough, but it didn't want to cooperate.  To further complicate matters I put too much oil in the pan and the dough just slid around.  The dough tore in many places.  I also got oregano on the dough  I pinched the torn dough together.  That wasn't an easy feat because of the oil on the dough.  The dough was finally proofed in the oven for hr. because I was getting sick of playing around with trying to stretch the dough.  :-D I decided I never would get the dough stretched out in the whole pan right. 

The dough was par-baked, and then taken out of the pan to sit a little.  The pizza then was dressed and put back into the oven. 

As can be seen the one end of the Sicilian pizza got burnt from the sauce and cheese melting over the side of the crust.  There was nothing I could do about that.

The final pizza might not look the best, but the taste of the crust was very good.  ;D  Thanks Craig for the lemons!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: Yesterday at 11:19:21 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: Yesterday at 11:21:08 PM »
Norma