Author Topic: Milk Kefir again  (Read 461 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Milk Kefir again
« on: October 29, 2014, 09:47:47 AM »
My one pizza friend was at market last week.  We got to talking about things not related to pizza.  My friend brought up that he drinks milk kefir.  I asked him if the milk keifr he drinks is from the little cauliflower heads, and if it was does he feed them milk.  My friend said yes he feeds the little cauliflower looking heads milk.  I said I would be interested in trying milk kefir in some pizza doughs again.  My friend brought me some of his milk kefir to market yesterday. 

I wonder what kind of pizza dough formula I can try the milk kefir in again.  My friends milk kefir smells like bread.  My milk kefir did not smell like bread when I was fooling around with it before.

Any suggestions?

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Milk Kefir again
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 09:21:55 PM »
I didn't feed the milk kefir grains any milk for months.  I wanted to see what would happen to them if they just sat there in the milk from the last time I feed them.  The milk kefir grains sat out at whatever room temperatures there were.  The central air was broken for a couple of weeks when it was really warm.  The milk kefir grains looked like they had really dried up to me.  I then feed them 2% milk last night.  Tonight I fed them again after draining the curdled milk.  I want to see if the milk kefir grains can be revived.  If they can be revived they must have some kind of magical powers.  :-D The milk kefir grains looks a little sick right now.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 08:19:56 AM »
I know forum members are not interested in milk kefir.  I am just documenting whether the milk kefir grains can be used again to leaven pizza since they were left out in milk so long.  This was the feeding cycle for one day.  Right now the milk kefir the grains produce smell a little acidic.  I really don't know if the milk is really acidic because the pH meter isn't at home.  It does look like the milk kefir grains are getting healthier.  If the milk kefir grains are okay sometime I will make a room temperature or controlled temperature pizza with the milk kefir.

My friend that gave me the milk kefir grains was at market on Tuesday and he said he would give me more milk kefir grains if I fail in reviving these.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 08:59:53 PM »
I didn't change the milk for the milk kefir grains for 2 days.  They were then fed milk again.  The milk kefir grains still did not look really healthy.  Last night I fed the milk kefir grains heavy cream. 

I am wondering if I try a controlled temperature dough, and control the temperature between 60-68 degrees F if I might get sick because of the milk kefir being sort of acidic, or because of the heavy cream.  The milk kefir does smell like heavy cream with a little tangy smell.

The pH numbers are in the photos.  Also does anyone know what heavy cream would do in a dough when it is baked into a pizza even if it is somewhat acidic?

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 11:45:30 PM »
I made a dough with the heavy cream kefir.  Hopefully I don't get sick.  There was enough dough made for two dough balls.  For the BF the dough is going to be CT fermented.  When the dough is divided one dough ball is going into the fridge.  I am still doing stretch and folds on the dough.  I wasn't sure how to use the preferment dough calculation tool for the heavy cream kefir.

GM unbleached flour was used as the flour.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 08:42:36 AM »
I looked on the web to see if I could find anything out about heavy cream milk kefir.  I do not have the Tartine #3 book from Chad Robertson but in this article it says Chad uses milk kefir in some of the bread recipes.  http://rcakewalk.blogspot.com/2014/03/experiments-in-milk-kefir.html  It seems like Rebecca Gagnon has used heavy cream milk kefir in some baked products but her kefir grains were healthy.  I don't know if milk kefir is getting more popular or not among bakers.  I know when Peter and I went searching for milk kefir in bread awhile ago not a lot could be found.  This is another article about the benefits of milk kefir the “Ancient Elixir of the Caucasus”. http://www.oprah.com/health/Yogurt-and-Kefir-Dr-Perricones-No-10-Superfood

If any member has the Tartine #3 book could they tell me how many recipes might contain milk kefir and if any other leavening might be used beside the milk kefir?

Another link about milk kefir.  http://www.yourkefirsource.com/kefir/

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 09:41:32 PM »
The heavy cream kefir dough is fermenting some, but it wasn't fermenting enough so I left it at room temperature which was about 70 degrees F in our area.  Usually it is hot this time of the year around our parts of the woods.  Photos from when the dough could be balled after all of the stretch and folds.  Photo from this morning and some photos from tonight.  The heavy cream milk kefir dough is very sticky now, when it wasn't last night.  I guess the formulation was messed up.  Will divide the dough tonight and ball.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 10:23:33 PM »
Since Home Depot had sales on paints (the kind I use was 10.00 off of a gallon with a rebate for only a couple of days), painting got in the way of making the heavy cream kefir pizza today.  That's a shame that painting takes priority over making pizza but I put off long enough trying to paint the whole inside of the place I live.  The photos of the dough ball were taken about 7:00 PM tonight and the dough sure looked ready to make a pizza.  The dough ball then went into the fridge.  :( It wasn't planned the both dough balls would go into the fridge. The temperatures were the heavy cream milk kefir dough CT fermented were between 62-66 degrees F from last night until tonight. The other dough ball in the fridge is slowly fermenting.  Both dough balls will have to wait until Tuesday to be baked into pizzas.  The CT dough smells like a good sourdough.

It would have been a lot more fun to see what happened with the heavy cream kefir pizza in the Blackstone today instead of being sore from washing walls, painting overhead and painting on a ladder.

Norma