Author Topic: Best thing I ever did for my sourdoughing  (Read 250 times)

Offline Don Cornicone

• I Love Pizza!
Best thing I ever did for my sourdoughing
« on: September 27, 2016, 09:49:43 PM »
I do a lot of electrical work at a hog farm, and they use fridges for when they get shipments of semen in.  I noticed they were set at 63degrees and thought....dang I struggle to get my dough a steady 64 so I looked up the controllers that were on the front of the fridge...they were ranco temperature controllers.  So i just thought I should just get one of these.  I ended up getting a cheaper brand(inkbird), then found a little mini fridge off craigslist.... not TXCraig1, a different one.  40 bucks.  There was a little drainage plug or well idk some sort of plug I was able to pull out and route the thermostat right through that little hole and WALLA I can set my temps and try different temps and times more accurate so I have been making dough like crazy to test things out.  Been very useful. 

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Best thing I ever did for my sourdoughing
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 08:19:59 AM »
Good idea. Makes your results more predictable.

Offline TurkeyOnRye

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 09:25:43 PM »
Nice. Wish I had a temperature-controlled fridge. Temperature is one of the variables I (and many others) have little to no control over in dough making.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:23:29 AM »
I've been trying to justify a fermentation fridge, but my non-fridge method seems to be serving me well.  My finished basement is below grade and varies from 68F in the winter to 76F in the hottest part of the summer.  The temperature is relatively stable day to day.

When it's time to make dough, I just take my infrared thermometer down to the counter top where I'll have my dough sitting and take the temperature, then just go plug that temp and whatever time frame I'm looking for (usually 24 hours) into Craig's fermentation chart and I'm good to go.

I am constrained by whatever temp my basement is, so I obviously miss out on being able to control a ferment at a chosen temp.

How much difference do people think there is between a 65F fermentation and a 75F fermentation as far as taste/quality of the dough?

Offline Don Cornicone

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:57:43 AM »
I did a 34 hour ferment the last few days at 68 and my dough blew up huge like six times the size...way to much, but had just the right flavor I want.  Compared to 48 hour ones at lower temps like 64.  I need to figure out how to get that taste at that amount of time, but less rise.  I was working with about 80% hydration and 8% starter, so I wonder if I drop my starter if I can accomplish it.  But it was quite different with 4 degrees.  But I didn't keep track of when I made dough compared to feeding starter, the last couple times either..that may have had a part to play.

Offline the1mu

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:47:34 AM »
What kind of flavor? Similar to a San Francicso Sourdough (i.e. Prominent sourness)?

Offline Don Cornicone

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: Today at 05:27:03 PM »
I can't say as I have not had san fran sourdough.  I found a starter that I think is a little less sour than the Ischia or Camadoli.  I don't like a ton of sourness, just enough to add some flavor but not to where it is like.hmmmm that taste sour.  So I'm sure that doesn't answer your question at all ha

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: Today at 06:02:28 PM »
I plugged in a cheap dorm room style fridge into this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00368D6JA/?tag=pmak-20

Been using it for about a year and I use it for bread and pizza to hold anywhere from 36 to, say, 72 (you can't go above the ambient room temperature).  So, good for RT sourdough but also cold ferments.  It holds something like 20 doughs if I need it to and also 1/2 sheet pans for things like bagels in a CF.

The other benefit is I do not fight for space in our kitchen fridge.  This is tucked away in a closet.  Makes my wife happy.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans