Author Topic: Use my Oven's "Proof" function to activate?  (Read 146 times)

Offline ndg

• I Love Pizza!
Use my Oven's "Proof" function to activate?
« on: November 20, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »
My new Samsung Range Oven has a proof setting.  I searched this forum for some time last night, but didnt really find much talk about people using this oven option.     I ordered the Italian Cultures from sourdo.com last week and I was wondering if I can use my oven's Proof setting during the culture activation setting?   

I am reading Ed Woods book now . . . and I would be really excited if I could skip over the part about building a proof box and just use my oven instead.  Please let me know if you have thoughts about this subjet . . . thanks!

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Use my Oven's "Proof" function to activate?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 08:55:54 AM »
It's been a long time, and I don't remember much about it, but I do remember I just used my oven with the light on to activate.
Pizza is not bread.

Online vtsteve

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 10:05:07 AM »
My oven, with the door fully closed, will top 100 degrees just from the light - hot enough to cook a starter. I used to slide a metal spoon into the side of the opening, to hold the door open a little. The 'proof' setting was even hotter.

Offline ndg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 11:49:02 AM »
WOW . . very surpising that the Proof is that HOT and very surpising that "light only" is that hot! 

I have a BBQ thermometer that I am going to stick in my oven on the proof setting and see what kind of temp I get.

Assuming I can find a way to hold around 90F in my oven . . . would this be a nice way to activate my culture?

Offline ndg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 01:17:44 PM »
@vtsteve . . you are correct!  I am working up in my home office today but I have my oven on with my wireless maverick thermometer in it now with the receiver sitting here by my computer.  I first tried the PROOF and reading over 100, then cracked the door on PROOF and still around 100 (when doors cracked light is on) . . . now I have the oven OFF but the light ON and holding steady at 91F for a few hours now.  I have the therm prob down just below the oven light - so thinking this is my sweet spot. 

Unless others tell me this is dumb, I will use this location for my culture activation stage.

PS this wireless termometer is awesome - maybe you guys would like this?
Maverick Wireless Grill Thermometer Set:  http://www.target.com/p/maverick-wireless-grill-thermometer-set/-/A-14699423?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=14699423&CPNG=Patio+Garden&kpid=14699423&LID=33pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14699423&kpid=14699423&gclid=CjwKEAiAv7ajBRCIldS7rp7wzFkSJAAA1n4DIrG0CoIpcViMQp6-PHAocbLd0ACdpTT3GAaWO7bieRoCcVTw_wcB

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 06:34:13 PM »
I did mine in the oven with light only and door propped open (my oven has two bulbs and hits 100)

Offline ndg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 09:19:43 AM »
@deb415611  . . . good to hear.    I am looking at the "CULTURES FOR HEALTH" Ischia SourDough Starter instructions now, and they have the activation step at 70F-85F for 12-19 hours.  These instructions are super simple - but does anybody have strong feelings about these instructions?  Here is the link . . . http://www.culturesforhealth.com/media/docs/Ischia_Sourdough_Instructions.pdf

I think I will prop open the door open as well.  I will do this to ensure it does not go over 90F.  From what I have read, it seems as "the better of two evils" is to be lower than 90F compared to above 90F.

pizzapan