Author Topic: Converting an Ischia starter into a GF starter?  (Read 103 times)

Offline raphaels

• I Love Pizza!
Converting an Ischia starter into a GF starter?
« on: Yesterday at 12:15:02 PM »
Hi all,

I am new to sourdough baking. I started with an Ischia culture and wondering if it is possible to turn my Ischia culture that I feed with regular bread flour, to a gluten free sourdough culture using gluten free flour? How many feedings would it take to achieve this?

Thank you:)
Raphael

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Converting an Ischia starter into a GF starter?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 12:31:08 PM »
According to a baking book (How to Make Sourdough - Emmanuel Hadjiandreou) I have, the answer is yes.  He shows a bunch of starters that he created with bases that include barley, chickpea, oats, quinoa and several more.

I would suggest you give it a try by starting with, perhaps, 50 grams Ischia (made with flour, I assume), 25 grams water, 25 grams your new grain.  Let it ferment for a few hours.

Discard half and then feed it again with 25 grams of your new grain, 25 grams of water.
Repeat, repeat.

By the time you do it 6 times, for example, the original flour (the original 50 grams of Ischia was 25 grams flour + 25 grams water), it will be down to 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 *1/2 * 1/2 = 1/64 of the 25 grams = .4 grams of flour (not material) and 24.6 grams of your new grain.

Assume it does things similar to Ischia - bubbles and grows and roughly doubles in size, then you have a gluten free starter.

I can't tell you how well it works only that it should be possible.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline JD

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 01:37:39 PM »
A few years ago I obtained a San Francisco sourdough starter that was maintained with dried potato flakes. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with Ischia following Mitch's procedure.
JD's NY Style
JD's Neapolitan using my Pizza Party WFO

You cannot teach experience.

-Josh

Offline raphaels

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 06:02:44 PM »
Thank you guys!

JD can you tell me more about the potato flakes? What is exactly a sourdough made of potato flakes?

Offline JD

« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:20:14 AM »
Thank you guys!

JD can you tell me more about the potato flakes? What is exactly a sourdough made of potato flakes?

It wasn't made with potato flakes, it was maintained with them. It's just instant mashed potatoes.
JD's NY Style
JD's Neapolitan using my Pizza Party WFO

You cannot teach experience.

-Josh

wordpress