Author Topic: Mad Stretching Skills  (Read 8319 times)

Offline Paul-Brighton

Re: Mad Stretching Skills
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »
I do use Marriages Millers. The flour blend I use is 40% Canadian wheat and 60% British wheat. Protein is 12.7%
Its not the Manitoba, that is 100% Canadian and is about 14% Protein I believe guys.

Paul

Offline Paul-Brighton

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 04:34:59 PM »
Dinner.. ;D
This is supposed to be work!!!!  ;D ;D

Offline MrPibbs

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2013, 10:43:54 PM »
Paul it's a wonderful idea.  I love challenges.  I posted several and never got any responders except you.  I hope folks will play along but generally speaking....folks dont want to work for things but would rather you just post up ur formula and methods.  :-D

Jackie, I don't question the veracity of your assumption in general...but then there are also the newcomers to this board who just started making their own pies, and only know a few flours and combinations so far.  I have no idea what ingredient/process could result in the amazing stretching skills that Paul demonstrates.

I have to totally rely on reading and trying what the experts have listed here to even end up in the ballpark of producing better quality pies. 

LOL!  Actually, I feel more like I'm just pulling into the parking lot of the "Quality Pizza Ballpark"--but from reading here, already have made and tasted the best pizzas I have ever had!

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2013, 12:06:34 AM »
So, who won?  ???
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2013, 12:39:44 AM »
Jackie, I don't question the veracity of your assumption in general...but then there are also the newcomers to this board who just started making their own pies, and only know a few flours and combinations so far.  I have no idea what ingredient/process could result in the amazing stretching skills that Paul demonstrates.

I have to totally rely on reading and trying what the experts have listed here to even end up in the ballpark of producing better quality pies. 

LOL!  Actually, I feel more like I'm just pulling into the parking lot of the "Quality Pizza Ballpark"--but from reading here, already have made and tasted the best pizzas I have ever had!

I by no means intended my comment to come across negatively or to dissuade members from trying.  If anything, I do hope that it spurred on members to prove me wrong and to take on Paul's challenge.  The only way to learn and improve is to always question what is is we are doing and why we are doing it.  These types of challenges are wonderful because they promote inquisition and spur on new experiments and challenges.  It's in these pursuits that we find the pizza we've been searching for. 

Chau

Offline Paul-Brighton

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2013, 04:15:50 AM »
I am going to read back through this later today and award somebody with a prize.
Thank you for having a go guys. It was only supposed to be a little bit of fun.
Paul

Offline Paul-Brighton

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2013, 07:39:59 AM »
You know what....I am going to give some goodies to everyone that had a guess at my dough recipe etc. PM me you names and addresses and I will get some stuff in the post to you all.
And yes Peter, that means you too....  >:D

scott123

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2013, 07:49:55 AM »
So everyone that entered wins?  Yeesh, what a nice guy!  ;D

I think they're still going want to know who came the closest, though.

Offline Paul-Brighton

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2013, 08:04:55 AM »
Haha.

Peter obviously covered a lot of ground with his guess but I think everyone at least mentioned something that was similar to what I do... hmmmmmm

Who do you think was closest Scott?

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2013, 09:50:27 AM »
Very generous of you Paul-thanks!
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2013, 10:09:29 AM »
Haha.

Peter obviously covered a lot of ground with his guess but I think everyone at least mentioned something that was similar to what I do... hmmmmmm

more than one day ferment...
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

scott123

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2013, 11:57:12 AM »

The hydration was actually 63%, I believe, favoring Peter and Norma, but I think Peter's reference to minimal kneading gave him the edge.

Offline Paul-Brighton

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »
My dough now is between 65-67% hydrated.
Prizes coming from the UK guys! :-)
Please send your addresses via PM.

Offline Paul-Brighton

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2013, 03:19:06 AM »
Last nights supper. 3 pigs with chilli. Really hit the spot this did.

Offline Craiggy83

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2013, 11:53:31 PM »
Hey Guys,

I do a lot of reading, but not enough posting.  I started in the Neapolitan section, but have moved through Sicilian, and now NY style.  I just wanted to say that you guys are all great!  There is so much information on these forums, that it's mind boggling sometimes.  I really enjoy reading through all your posts.  I am going to start working on posting more myself (I still feel like a newbie).  Paul, I am very interested in how your able to stretch that dough so thin.  I am wondering if you have a higher salt content, as I've heard more salt will allow you to stretch the dough out larger and thinner.  I am a big fan of high hydration and limited kneading, as I do not currently own a mixer.  I would be interested in your recipe, as I believe the stretching is not just a matter of handling the dough, but how it's prepared.  Also does authentic NY style pizza include eggs? Paul, would you be willing to sell me a bottle of your hot sauce?  I'd love to try it. 

Thanks guys!

~Craig

Offline Paul-Brighton

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2013, 06:58:03 AM »
Salt is 2%.
Of course you can buy my hot sauce. Whats your location?  ;D

scott123

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2013, 08:37:30 AM »
Craig, the salt in acrobatic dough, the kind you see in competitions, is a different animal than the salt in regular dough. In that instance, the inedibly high salt content makes it easier to spin/stretch without tearing.  For regular NY style pizza, though, salt is predominantly just for flavor and plays no role in stretchability.

Stretching boils down to 3 things.

1. A properly formulated and well fermented dough.  If you're aware of the protein content of the flour, use the right amount of water for that protein level, knead the dough the right amount of time (not too much, not too little), and are aware of your yeast activity and the factors that increase it and decrease it so that the dough can be ready when you need it... you will have a dough that will practically stretch itself.

2. Good stretching practices.  Pressing the dough out with your fingertips, leaving a little extra mound in the middle, forming the rim, stretching the edge, knuckling stretching and avoiding the center- if you do each of these right, it makes a really thin stretch far easier.

3. Practice.  There's a feel for stretching dough that can't be taught.  You just have to stretch a lot of pizzas and you pick it up.  By the time you hit 20 pies, I think you'll start to recognize the hand movements that stretch the dough thin, but not too thin. If you can open a pizzeria and make thousands of pizzas like Paul has, that helps  ;D

Offline Craiggy83

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2013, 11:08:23 PM »
Paul,

Sent you a message.  What type of mixing are you using Paul?  I would like to buy a mixer eventually, but can't decide on what I should get.  I would like to make pizza, bread, bake goods, etc.  Any suggestions on what I should choose.

Scott,

Some real good advice.  I will have to work on my kneeding to make sure it's not to much.  Is this your latest recipe here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20732.60.html ?  Also how much do you think I should have to pay for a 17" steel plate nowadays?  I currently have a 3/4 inch piece of soap stone and several pizza stones, but have never tried steel yet.  Do you just ask for A32 steel plate, or something more specific?  I'll post some pictures for you guys as soon as I get some pies going.  When I put pies in my fridge, they don't seem to rise much, maybe it's just not noticeable. 

Thanks Guys,

Online Chaze215

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2013, 10:09:39 AM »
  Also how much do you think I should have to pay for a 17" steel plate nowadays?  I currently have a 3/4 inch piece of soap stone and several pizza stones, but have never tried steel yet.  Do you just ask for A32 steel plate, or something more specific? 

Craig, here is a link http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22834.msg233252.html#msg233252 to a thread that I started. Within it, you will see that I just got a 17 x 17 x 1/2 A36 steel plate. I did not pay for the plate, but I do know that the guy I got it from charges $90. I know some people here have gotten it for much cheaper ($40-$50) though. I have to say, the plate has very clean surfaces and smooth edges (which is not always the case). You will also find the recipe that I used for my first bake on this steel plate which you can see the results here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23065.msg233808.html#msg233808
I will answer any questions you may have, but I will leave all the technical questions for scott. He has helped me tremendously with this whole process.

Chaz
Chaz

scott123

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2013, 07:14:22 PM »
Scott,

Some real good advice.  I will have to work on my kneeding to make sure it's not to much.  Is this your latest recipe here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20732.60.html ?  Also how much do you think I should have to pay for a 17" steel plate nowadays?  I currently have a 3/4 inch piece of soap stone and several pizza stones, but have never tried steel yet.

Craig, yes, that's my most recent recipe. There's an excellent chance, if your oven gets hot enough, that soapstone will work perfectly.  Is your oven gas or electric? If gas, is the broiler in the main compartment or in a separate drawer?  Convection?  Peak temp on the dial? Peak temp measured with an infrared thermometer?

pizzapan